The Worst Coach in NFL History?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Matt Millen

//end thread
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Matt Millen

//end thread

Matt Millen wasnt a coach
To be a bad coach you actually have to COACH. Although, several bad ones have mentioned at least they had some x and o's knowledge.

Singletary has no idea what is going on before, during and after games.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Matt Millen

//end thread

I know, I was kidding because this thread is silly. He GM'd the worst in Rod M. Judged by numbers, Marinelli is the worst. Sing isn't the worst. There have been so many worse. Many coaches have been successful as motivators, but they had some form or X's and O's. Sing doesn't.

It is just a case of he was rushed to head coach. He didn't do his time across different coaching positions.

I was looking at Leslie Frazier's career the other day. He coached DBs for years, then was a d coordinator for years. And an assistant head coach. Sing only coached LBs and was given the assistant title so he wouldn't leave. He didn't have time and never served in a position where he needed to make decisions and scheme. That is the problem. He only taught a position he knew as a player.

Just because he isn't a good coach doesnt make him the worst ever. He won some games and got rushed to the front. This thread is based off personal feelings and is really just dumb.

[ Edited by Rubberneck36 on Nov 24, 2010 at 06:53:43 ]
Jim Zorn was really bad.

Nick Saban was bad.
  • ajveltri
  • Info N/A
Matt Millen

//end thread

I know, I was kidding because this thread is silly. He GM'd the worst in Rod M. Judged by numbers, Marinelli is the worst. Sing isn't the worst. There have been so many worse. Many coaches have been successful as motivators, but they had some form or X's and O's. Sing doesn't.

It is just a case of he was rushed to head coach. He didn't do his time across different coaching positions.

I was looking at Leslie Frazier's career the other day. He coached DBs for years, then was a d coordinator for years. And an assistant head coach. Sing only coached LBs and was given the assistant title so he wouldn't leave. He didn't have time and never served in a position where he needed to make decisions and scheme. That is the problem. He only taught a position he knew as a player.

Just because he isn't a good coach doesnt make him the worst ever. He won some games and got rushed to the front. This thread is based off personal feelings and is really just dumb.

I know this is my personal feelings that is why I am soo aggravated as a fan!

I listen to the guy speak, his press conferences, how he handles the clock, game plan, scheme its all a mess. It would be like me trying to run this team with zero experience!

Singletary is useless in all facets of Pro football, he can't adapt because he doesn't want to, because he is an arrogant, block head with a narrow vision! People like him don't belong leading, they belong following end of story!
To Singletary's credit, he hasn't quit on his team like Bobby Petrino did. Then again, I doubt Sing has any options after this gig.
Originally posted by ajveltri:
Matt Millen

//end thread

I listen to the guy speak, his press conferences, how he handles the clock, game plan, scheme its all a mess. It would be like me trying to run this team with zero experience!

Singletary is useless in all facets of Pro football, he can't adapt because he doesn't want to, because he is an arrogant, block head with a narrow vision! People like him don't belong leading, they belong following end of story!

He is way over his head.

But, he is a good motivator.

Ask yourself this...If he had Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel as his coordinators, would he win. Yes, because they would put the package together and he could do his speaking and motivating. It would be successful. And everyone would be singing his praises.

Without solid coordinators, he will fail like right now.

Way over his head.
Originally posted by ajveltri:
Matt Millen

//end thread

He is way over his head.

But, he is a good motivator.

Ask yourself this...If he had Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel as his coordinators, would he win. Yes, because they would put the package together and he could do his speaking and motivating. It would be successful. And everyone would be singing his praises.

Without solid coordinators, he will fail like right now.

Way over his head.

The other problem is taht Singletary demands a certain style of football to be played.
We heard the difference between Mike Johnoson ( who when allowed does a good job) and Sing, when they talked about Troy.

Johnoson wantetd him challenge, Sing to talk about his bad habbits ( making plays), result troy looked scared against the Bucs the same as Alex looked scared.

Last year the run oly offence did not work, Alex came in Raye put him in the gun and we played a certain type of spread.
Alex looked amazing, quick in his decisions, took chances looked like a leader.

But unfortunatley that was to much for Sing so he ordered Raye to bet back to a run only offence, ordered Alex to be a game mamanger, only to take low risk throws result we went 1-6!

Same with Troy he looked nice when Johnson called inovative formationsm sent a couple WRs downfiel used the PA pass.

Again that was to much for Sing, so he orders Johsnon to close teh offence, and probaly stared Troy to death.

result we get shutout!

The only time Sings conservatism worked was when he used it to keep Martz in check.
The only issue I have with this thread is you have twice said you would take on Singletary physically.

I have no idea what you look like, and I know you are half his age but I'm willing to bet Singletary can still handle himself in a fight. He is one of the most intimidating NFL linebackers in history, I think he could still bring it if needed.

THat being said I agree he is definitely the most disappointing coach I have ever seen in any of the sports I watch. Erickson was terrible but they took away all his good players in one off season and I never expected him to be good based on his career in Seattle.

I bought into all the Singletary mystique, saw Vernon turn around, and figured he would take us to the promised land. All he has really done is wasted an additional two seasons of Frank Gore and Patrick Willis' careers.

Best case scenario for me is we tank the rest of the year, get Luck and Harbaugh for next season.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Marty Mornhinweg
Butch Davis would have to be considered in this thread. Dave Wanstead (sp?) too
  • ajveltri
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by bigmur49:
The only issue I have with this thread is you have twice said you would take on Singletary physically.

I have no idea what you look like, and I know you are half his age but I'm willing to bet Singletary can still handle himself in a fight. He is one of the most intimidating NFL linebackers in history, I think he could still bring it if needed.

THat being said I agree he is definitely the most disappointing coach I have ever seen in any of the sports I watch. Erickson was terrible but they took away all his good players in one off season and I never expected him to be good based on his career in Seattle.

I bought into all the Singletary mystique, saw Vernon turn around, and figured he would take us to the promised land. All he has really done is wasted an additional two seasons of Frank Gore and Patrick Willis' careers.

Best case scenario for me is we tank the rest of the year, get Luck and Harbaugh for next season.

I said it more a s figure of speech, You know when someone is just soo beyond reason and acting like a fool, just makes you want to smack them...Kinda how I was using it lol!
The biggest irony is that when Sing got this gig, if I recall correctly, he said he wanted to go down as one of the greatest coaches EVER. Now, if that's not the definition of irony, i don't know what is.
David Shula
Share 49ersWebzone