LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Kawakami Makes the Case for Jim Harbaugh as our next Head Coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Harbaugh is not going to be a lot cheaper than anybody. He is a super hot commodity right now.

I actually agree with you for once. I don't think he'll match what Gruden would probably get, but he definitely won't be cheap. He'd probably make the same amount that Pete Carroll is making in Seattle.
the niners cant skimp on a coach, they have to realize after three epic HC failures that they have to spend for a good coach.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
the niners cant skimp on a coach, they have to realize after three epic HC failures that they have to spend for a good coach.

1) They don't realize it.

2) They will just bring in the new cheap guy and have a press conference about new found hope and change. As usual 90% of the fan base and the WZ will buy it. But not me.
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
Holmgren, Harbaugh, or Gruden. Those are the best options.

1. Harbaugh
2. Holmgren
3. Gruden

In that order.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

1) They don't realize it.

2) They will just bring in the new cheap guy and have a press conference about new found hope and change. As usual 90% of the fan base and the WZ will buy it. But not me.

If they bring in Harbaugh, Harbaugh, Harbaugh, or maybe Holmgren or Gruden, I will believe they at least are trying to do something right.

If they bring in anyone else I'm not buying into s**t.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
Holmgren, Harbaugh, or Gruden. Those are the best options.

1. Harbaugh
2. Holmgren
3. Gruden

In that order.

Do this, then you instantly get your own fan base back. If we get Luck/Harbaugh, Lots of rich Stanford alums will be funding your stadium Jed!!!
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I'd love for Harbaugh to become the next HC. The question is, as we all know, is if the Yorks are smart enough to hire him or Holmgren in the first place?

A question to all you coach gurus. Why do you want Jim Harbarugh? I understand his bro is doing great with the Ravens, however, they still have a "good" defense, and there QB is looking pretty consistant. That doesn't guarentee sucess from Jim Harbaugh.

I know there isn't much out there, & a proven winner doesn't guarentee sucess, however, I think it would provide a better chance at sucess.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
I'd love for Harbaugh to become the next HC. The question is, as we all know, is if the Yorks are smart enough to hire him or Holmgren in the first place?

A question to all you coach gurus. Why do you want Jim Harbarugh? I understand his bro is doing great with the Ravens, however, they still have a "good" defense, and there QB is looking pretty consistant. That doesn't guarentee sucess from Jim Harbaugh.

I know there isn't much out there, & a proven winner doesn't guarentee sucess, however, I think it would provide a better chance at sucess.

Who is the proven winner?
The only name mentioned that has really built a winner is Holmgren. Gruden hadn't really developed any QB or team. He did do well with the Raiders, but I don't know how much he had to do with that (Don't think Al Davis gave him much power).

With Harbaugh, he has turned a couple programs around.
Year Team Overall Conference Standing
2004 San Diego 7–4 4–1 2nd
2005 San Diego 11–1 4–0 1st
2006 San Diego 11–1 7–0 1st
2007 Stanford 4–8 3–6 T–7th
2008 Stanford 5–7 4–5 T–6th
2009 Stanford 8–5 6–3 T–2nd
2010 Stanford 11–1 8–1 2nd
Total: 57–27

Seems he also does well developing QBs, Josh Johnson and Andrew Luck.
[ Edited by OKC49erFan on Dec 6, 2010 at 11:24 AM ]
Hmmmm, I hope this turns out for the best (for both us, and him).
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Dec 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

Who is the proven winner?
The only name mentioned that has really built a winner is Holmgren. Gruden hadn't really developed any QB or team. He did do well with the Raiders, but I don't know how much he had to do with that (Don't think Al Davis gave him much power).

With Harbaugh, he has turned a couple programs around.
Year Team Overall Conference Standing
2004 San Diego 7–4 4–1 2nd
2005 San Diego 11–1 4–0 1st
2006 San Diego 11–1 7–0 1st
2007 Stanford 4–8 3–6 T–7th
2008 Stanford 5–7 4–5 T–6th
2009 Stanford 8–5 6–3 T–2nd
2010 Stanford 11–1 8–1 2nd
Total: 57–27

Seems he also does well developing QBs, Josh Johnson and Andrew Luck.

Plus all of his assistants are former NFL coordinators. So its not like he is running some gimmicky college offense or is he a college football coach lifer trying to prove he can win in the pros.

Share 49ersWebzone