LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Kawakami Makes the Case for Jim Harbaugh as our next Head Coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
I've got no problem with Harbaugh, and think he would be a successful coach. He might be the best college candidate out there.

The team is going to select someone with an offensive background, that is for sure.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
well prob go after harbaugh because he is the cheapest, and of course the yorks r cheap
The line about Harbaugh having a chance to beat Pete Carrol twice a year was nice.
is there any tampering issues to be concerned about, when it comes to contacting a coach, via his agent? could we be possibly talking to harbaugh's agent right now?

the one thing that bothers/scares me is that paraage and jed will not step aside and turn power over. this could be a deal breaker-not only with harbaugh but with some of the other coaches we wish we could bring in.

and , if we do land harbaugh and power is turned over, and luck declares, would we sell the farm and trade up for him? would that be a wise move?

gah! so many questions!
before I can read that article, I gotta watch the film
Originally posted by 76Razor:
is there any tampering issues to be concerned about, when it comes to contacting a coach, via his agent? could we be possibly talking to harbaugh's agent right now?

the one thing that bothers/scares me is that paraage and jed will not step aside and turn power over. this could be a deal breaker-not only with harbaugh but with some of the other coaches we wish we could bring in.

and , if we do land harbaugh and power is turned over, and luck declares, would we sell the farm and trade up for him? would that be a wise move?

gah! so many questions!

No as it is not within the NFL so you aren't tampering a team you may compete against.
Please be our new coach, Jim Harbaugh. And do all you can within your power to bring in Luck.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by daragon:
Originally posted by servegmo:
man I would love Harbaugh... he will bring an attitude to the offense that would be amazing, what worries me its that he is unproven in the nfl, the other two are excellent way to go also... in the end if the niners do their research and he looks for real I would go with Harbaugh,.....

What are Harbaugh's credentials? Why is everyone so high on this guy?

1. Familiarity w/ the speed of the NFL Game.
2. Son-of-a-coach
4. NFL QB Coach
5. West Coast Offense
6. Developed Luck
7. Does a lot with limitations at stanford (not a huge school, high standards, etc.)
8. Feiry attitude

Also had direct connections to Walsh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2954852

Quote:

Jim Harbaugh had his entire life to learn from his father, longtime college coach Jack Harbaugh. He had a college career to learn from Michigan legend Bo Schembechler.

But Harbaugh, whom Stanford hired as head coach last December, treasures the seven months he had in the same building with Bill Walsh, the former Stanford and San Francisco 49er head coach who died early Monday at age 75.

Walsh had an office in the Stanford athletic department, and came in as recently as early this month, according to Harbaugh.

"You never knew when he would be in his office," Harbaugh said last week. "I found myself walking down there to see if he was there. There are days when he'll come in and walk down and watch film, or sit for an hour-and-a-half and talk offensive philosophy and start drawing plays on paper, and I think, 'Oh my God, I'm going to laminate this!'"

In fact, Harbaugh went out and purchased a hand-held tape recorder to save Walsh's talks for posterity.

"He's a wealth of knowledge of Stanford history, of Stanford winning, and mainly just football," Harbaugh said. "Everything he says, you just hang on every word."

Walsh may have been a Pro Football Hall of Fame coach who revolutionized the game with his brand of the West Coast offense. He may have coached the 49ers to three Super Bowl championships. But he never wore a cloak of majesty.

"He's so genuine to be around, such a good sense of humor, personality, self-deprecating," Harbaugh said. "One day he talked for an hour. You're taking notes, you're picking up the drawings. Afterward, he said, 'Did I talk too long?'"

Harbaugh had a quick reply: "'God, no. Are you kidding?'

"They should erect a statue to him here," Harbaugh said. "His presence, how he's touched the game, and so many people, the way Bo does."

I almost get a "Chris Matthews tingle going up my leg when I hear Obama speak" moment when I think of Harbaugh coaching this team. If this were a movie, it would make WAY TOO much damn sense.

The San Francisco 49ers:The Legend Continues. Hire Harbaugh, draft Luck and all of a sudden this team goes on a winning roll, picks up a few more Superbowls in the next 8 years and good times are back again.

Of course in a movie, there wouldn't be the idiotic and incompetent ownership holding this team back.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 23, 2010 at 11:24:54 ]
Harbaugh is by far the best candidate for our next HC. Gruden needs to stick to his MNF gig.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
man I would love Harbaugh... he will bring an attitude to the offense that would be amazing, what worries me its that he is unproven in the nfl, the other two are excellent way to go also... in the end if the niners do their research and he looks for real I would go with Harbaugh,.....

2. Son-of-a-coach
4. NFL QB Coach
5. West Coast Offense
6. Developed Luck
7. Does a lot with limitations at stanford (not a huge school, high standards, etc.)
8. Feiry attitude

Quote:

Jim Harbaugh had his entire life to learn from his father, longtime college coach Jack Harbaugh. He had a college career to learn from Michigan legend Bo Schembechler.

But Harbaugh, whom Stanford hired as head coach last December, treasures the seven months he had in the same building with Bill Walsh, the former Stanford and San Francisco 49er head coach who died early Monday at age 75.

Walsh had an office in the Stanford athletic department, and came in as recently as early this month, according to Harbaugh.

"You never knew when he would be in his office," Harbaugh said last week. "I found myself walking down there to see if he was there. There are days when he'll come in and walk down and watch film, or sit for an hour-and-a-half and talk offensive philosophy and start drawing plays on paper, and I think, 'Oh my God, I'm going to laminate this!'"

In fact, Harbaugh went out and purchased a hand-held tape recorder to save Walsh's talks for posterity.

"He's a wealth of knowledge of Stanford history, of Stanford winning, and mainly just football," Harbaugh said. "Everything he says, you just hang on every word."

Walsh may have been a Pro Football Hall of Fame coach who revolutionized the game with his brand of the West Coast offense. He may have coached the 49ers to three Super Bowl championships. But he never wore a cloak of majesty.

"He's so genuine to be around, such a good sense of humor, personality, self-deprecating," Harbaugh said. "One day he talked for an hour. You're taking notes, you're picking up the drawings. Afterward, he said, 'Did I talk too long?'"

"They should erect a statue to him here," Harbaugh said. "His presence, how he's touched the game, and so many people, the way Bo does."

I almost get a "Chris Matthews tingle going up my leg when I hear Obama speak" moment when I think of Harbaugh coaching this team. If this were a movie, it would make WAY TOO much damn sense.

The San Francisco 49ers:The Legend Continues. Hire Harbaugh, draft Luck and all of a sudden this team goes on a winning roll, picks up a few more Superbowls in the next 8 years and good times are back again.

Sign Harbaugh and either draft luck, or trade for Kolb. That will be determined by our draft order -- if we're picking 6 or higher, Luck is possible with a trade-up. Any lower, and we might as well trade for Kolb.

Of course in a movie, there wouldn't be the idiotic and incompetent ownership holding this team back.

Originally posted by Shaj:
awesome article. I also like how it states that in order for the niners to be successful, Jed and Paraag both need to have lesser roles.

hopefully no roles lol
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
Holmgren, Harbaugh, or Gruden. Those are the best options.

Yes, with Shurmur and Billick as second-tier options.

and Mangini, McDaniels, Kubiak, and Turner third tier options.
Originally posted by Shaj:
awesome article. I also like how it states that in order for the niners to be successful, Jed and Paraag both need to have lesser roles.

that's why I hope we get a head of Football operations because the two headed monster we have now isn't working. But then again that isn't the cheap York way.

it figures he mentions Harbaugh as a cheap option because that's all York cares about.
Not to mention his brother has done pretty well for himself in Baltimore, and we all know how much the current regime looks up to the Ravens.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

2. Son-of-a-coach
4. NFL QB Coach
5. West Coast Offense
6. Developed Luck
8. Feiry attitude

Quote:

Sign Harbaugh and either draft luck, or trade for Kolb. That will be determined by our draft order -- if we're picking 6 or higher, Luck is possible with a trade-up. Any lower, and we might as well trade for Kolb.

In the movies, the owners are always incompetent or trying to sabotage.
Share 49ersWebzone