LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Wow, it all makes sense now

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by billbird2111:
How OLD is Holmgren now?

Can the man really connect with today's younger players?

I'd still opt for the younger coaches. Jeff Tedford's star isn't as bright as it once was at Cal -- but perhaps all he needs is a change of scenery. Tedford is a molder of QB's -- at least he was once. While it's true that he hasn't "molded" a good one in a few seasons -- the list of QB's he's put into the NFL is endless.

The second option is Harbaugh. But he's gonna cost $$$. And he'll want to bring Luck along. And that is going to cost multiple draft picks and $$$. We'll be putting all of our eggs into one basket again -- like we did with Alex Smith -- and that just makes me VERY nervous.

Another option is Chris Peterson at Boise State. He's straight out of the West Coast tree.

All three of those coaches are better options in my opinion. Holmgren is a retread. He had his day. He had a great run. But that was awhile ago.

EDIT: I'd also like to add the name Pat Hill to this list. I'd do anything to get that cancer out of Fresno State. Yeah -- it would mean another three to four years of terrible 49er football. But at least my beloved Bulldogs might be inclined to hire someone that doesn't feel like serving as a doormat to Boise State.

Holmgren is 62.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Harbaugh

HARBAUGH

H A R B A U G H

Holmgren is OLD, he's 62. Makes me want to take a nap just thinking about it. Please someone tell me the last time a retread head coach who last won a super bowl over 10 years ago came in to a team and won it all? I can't remember.

Harbaugh is connected to the NFL, has experience in the NFL, runs the WCO, has a brother who turned around an NFL franchise already and was not as highly touted or successful as Jim is, who has revolutionized Stanford and made them as good as they ever have been. HARBAUGH. PLZ.

This. And have him bring Luck with him.
This team needs a voice that has some credibility behind it. Tedford, Harbaugh and Peterson are all great but for teams that are in a complete rebuild. This team has talent that really needs a EXPERIENCED coach to steer it right as well as a realistic evaluation of that talent, which Singletary overvalued. Holmgren or Gruden has been tested in this league and has the right type of demeanor to establish a standard and enforce it. It's hard to enforce a standard of play and accountability when you don't have one, which is something Singletary didn't have and any college coach doesn't have at this level.

The regular mental errors by this team are a part of coaching and not just head coaching. Singletary has some of the worst assistants around, who should have been fired already and its no surprise that the team is as absent minded as they are since these are the no name guys coaching them. Holmgren will get the best assistants available and they will help in weeding out the guys who are here that don't belong.
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Harbaugh

HARBAUGH

H A R B A U G H

Holmgren is OLD, he's 62. Makes me want to take a nap just thinking about it. Please someone tell me the last time a retread head coach who last won a super bowl over 10 years ago came in to a team and won it all? I can't remember.

Harbaugh is connected to the NFL, has experience in the NFL, runs the WCO, has a brother who turned around an NFL franchise already and was not as highly touted or successful as Jim is, who has revolutionized Stanford and made them as good as they ever have been. HARBAUGH. PLZ.

Are you crazy! Holmgren took not only one team but TWO teams to the Superbowl. Not to mention, he took the Packers twice and the Seahawks once! He is an offensive genius! He is also has a knack for finding and grooming great QB's! Joe, Steve, Favre, Hassleback and now Colt is looking pretty good and is showing a lot of potential!

Holmgren!
Holmgren!
Holmgren!

You have some good points. I just question his ability to do it again, and how long will he last? 4-5 years? I want a long term solution. I know he has his roots here and a few years ago I was hoping he would come back, but I think it's just a little too late in the game for him to take a crappy team and whip them into a super bowl winning squad. Older retread coaches, even if they've been successful in the past, do not have a good track record for winning super bowls unfortunately.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I'm curious to know who would Holmgren go with at QB if he actually does come here.

Kolb

that would surely make sense, just not sure 49ers will win the bid on him, I think he'll be a big name in the offseason.

What has Kolb done to warrent so much love? i see alot of fans wanting Kolb, i dont get it... Is it the wco system he knows? ...He had 2 decent yrs at Houston, his other 2 were subpar and this yr as starter for philly he's 2-3 with 6 TD's to 4 ints..
i refuse to even get my hopes up at the thought
I have not even considered Holmgren as a candidate until now. He would be on top of my wish list if we could get him!!!!
Holmgren is coming home to retire and coach highschool ball. Film it.
Originally posted by Born_Niner:
I'm curious to know who would Holmgren go with at QB if he actually does come here.

Kolb

that would surely make sense, just not sure 49ers will win the bid on him, I think he'll be a big name in the offseason.

What has Kolb done to warrent so much love? i see alot of fans wanting Kolb, i dont get it... Is it the wco system he knows? ...He had 2 decent yrs at Houston, his other 2 were subpar and this yr as starter for philly he's 2-3 with 6 TD's to 4 ints..

I think the Kolb hype is based off of Andy Reid's belief in the guy. His numbers may not be elite status, but he has an accurate arm, as we all witnessed here at the Stick. It's just too bad Mike Vick is the comeback player of the year, otherwise Kolb would be a sure shot starter.

This off-season I predict these teams will participate in the Kolb sweepstakes...

Dolphins
49ers
Cardinals
Bengals
Titans
Vikings
Panthers
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
For the past 4 weeks I have been asking myself "why is Gruden rumored to be going to the browns when they have holmgren already?" Then yesterday I watched a CSN Bay area video of how one reporter thinks holmgren would like to return to the bay area for coaching and it hit me. The owner of the browns must know that holmgren wants to be a HC again so he is pulling in Gruden to fill Holmgren's absence in Cleveland. Holmgren is from the Bay and I think if Jed plays his cards right we can get holmgren.

Quick Question, if you knew for sure this was going to happen would you want this season to tank before week one?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/video?PID=hoFAS8kCo9QmP2mDMS8vUQCFD2lfitcL

Can you or anyone show me one CREDIBLE rumor of Gruden going to Cleveland? How would Gruden being a coach fill Holmgren's absence as a President? MAKE SENSE. Is it so hard? All of the Holmgren rumors are just blind homer optimism. Holmgren is under contract. For 4 more years. Period.

You're right, Gruden can't replace Holmgren as Brown's president. However, I could see Holgrem wanting to return to the Niners. One winter in Cleveland is all it takes to want out.

Imagine, you move your wife to Cleveland, then go off to work for 10-12 hours a day leaving your wife in Cleveland of all places. I can't imagine Mrs. Holmgren being real happy about the prospect of staying in Cleveland for 4 more years.

For the past 4 weeks I have been asking myself "why is Gruden rumored to be going to the browns when they have holmgren already?" Then yesterday I watched a CSN Bay area video of how one reporter thinks holmgren would like to return to the bay area for coaching and it hit me. The owner of the browns must know that holmgren wants to be a HC again so he is pulling in Gruden to fill Holmgren's absence in Cleveland. Holmgren is from the Bay and I think if Jed plays his cards right we can get holmgren.

Quick Question, if you knew for sure this was going to happen would you want this season to tank before week one?

Can you or anyone show me one CREDIBLE rumor of Gruden going to Cleveland? How would Gruden being a coach fill Holmgren's absence as a President? MAKE SENSE. Is it so hard? All of the Holmgren rumors are just blind homer optimism. Holmgren is under contract. For 4 more years. Period.
Gruden, Harbaugh, and Holmgren. If we get one of those guys I will be happy.
Gruden aint sh*t

Another Shanahan joke of a coach.
i'll welcome Mike Holmgren with open arms
Originally posted by Born_Niner:

Kolb

I think the Kolb hype is based off of Andy Reid's belief in the guy. His numbers may not be elite status, but he has an accurate arm, as we all witnessed here at the Stick. It's just too bad Mike Vick is the comeback player of the year, otherwise Kolb would be a sure shot starter.

This off-season I predict these teams will participate in the Kolb sweepstakes...

Dolphins
49ers
Cardinals
Bengals
Titans
Vikings
Panthers

Really think the bengals are going to give up palmer... Hmm good hope they do.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

You're right, Gruden can't replace Holmgren as Brown's president. However, I could see Holgrem wanting to return to the Niners. One winter in Cleveland is all it takes to want out.

Imagine, you move your wife to Cleveland, then go off to work for 10-12 hours a day leaving your wife in Cleveland of all places. I can't imagine Mrs. Holmgren being real happy about the prospect of staying in Cleveland for 4 more years.
Its not pioneer days. Homes exist with heat. So Holmgren is going to walk out of the last 4 years of his FIFTY MILLION DOLLAR deal because its cold in Cleveland? Negating the fact that they can go to fuggin Cancun as soon as the seasons over and miss half of this supposedly brutal winter.

Honestly WEATHER?
Share 49ersWebzone