LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 311 users in the forums

Kolb is done in Philly -- what would you trade for him?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Kolb is done in Philly -- what would you trade for him?

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
we need an offensive line because kolb is not mobile at all

Behind our O-line he wouldn't last 4 games before hitting the I.R.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by boast:
the price for Kolb will be a 1st rounder. book it!

that's what I think too. I might be willing to give up a 2012 first rounder, but there's no way I would give up what is likely to be a top 5 (at least top 10) pick this year for him.

With the dirth of even "decent" QBs in the league right now, Philly is going to demand, and likely get, a high first round pick in 2011 for Kolb. I am with you on not giving up what will almost assuredly be a top 7 or 8 pick for Kevin Kolb. He hasn't shown enough to consider he would be any better than a top 80 QB rating guy. Kolb is likely better than the starter for half the teams in the league, but that isn't saying very much.

With the dire need of this team for a stud pass rusher as well as a #1 wideout and shut down corner, the 49ers just cannot afford to give up so much for a guy who shown no signs of being more than "average."

EDIT: To put this in another context, Philly would likely ask for Justin Smith in a straight up exchange. Anyone willing to make that deal?

I offer that as a means to suggest how in demand a QB of Kolb's ability is in this league right now and what kind of value Philly is likely to get in exchange for KK.

[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 23, 2010 at 12:11:54 ]
Originally posted by dj43:

that's what I think too. I might be willing to give up a 2012 first rounder, but there's no way I would give up what is likely to be a top 5 (at least top 10) pick this year for him.

With the dirth of even "decent" QBs in the league right now, Philly is going to demand, and likely get, a high first round pick in 2011 for Kolb. I am with you on not giving up what will almost assuredly be a top 7 or 8 pick for Kevin Kolb. He hasn't shown enough to consider he would be any better than a top 80 QB rating guy. Kolb is likely better than the starter for half the teams in the league, but that isn't saying very much.

With the dire need of this team for a stud pass rusher as well as a #1 wideout and shut down corner, the 49ers just cannot afford to give up so much for a guy who shown no signs of being more than "average."

EDIT: To put this in another context, Philly would likely ask for Justin Smith in a straight up exchange. Anyone willing to make that deal?

I offer that as a means to suggest how in demand a QB of Kolb's ability is in this league right now and what kind of value Philly is likely to get in exchange for KK.

agree 100%. They took him with a #2 pick just a few years ago, he's proven that he can be a decent starting QB, they do still have their own questions at QB, a QB is the hottest commodity out there...It all adds up to being a pretty pricey acquisition.

But I would be willing to risk a 2012 first rounder for him. Say we end up picking 7th this year. That gives us a good shot at filling one major need, at CB or DT, say, while putting us too far down to have a chance at Luck and too high to take a gamble on any of the other QB's coming out this year. So say we get a CB there, and send our 2012 first rounder to PHI for Kolb. If in successive first rounds, technically, we get a #1 CB and stability at QB, I'd say that's a win. Add in what will hopefully be a competent and accomplished coaching staff, and I think we would have enough pieces to make a playoff push while gathering and developing the other missing pieces.

But that's a lot of ifs and buts. we have to wait and see how it all shakes out, because I'm also not really sold on Kolb and think he would only be a good pickup depending on our draft status and who our coaches are. Because if we hired, say, Morninwheg, I'd be a lot more comfortable bringing in Kolb knowing that he would be in a system he knows and has done well in.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd trade our 1st round pick for him.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 23, 2010 at 13:09:41 ]
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Misleading thread title is misleading.

yep. If you watched any kind of football show the last month you would have seen the reports that Vick will be franchised and Kolb will play out the remainder of his contract because he is a cheap backup option for the Eagles.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd trade our 1st round pick for him.

I'd trade you for him, but thats about it,

good stuff here.

i agree, he will go for a 1st round pick-and it might be a 2011 first round pick. unless we sweeten that deal with maybe a 2011 4th (3rd would be too much IMHO), there is slim chance we get him for just a 2012 1st round pick. i can easily see several teams jump on the kolb train and try to throw a lot at the eagles for him.
  • dj43

agree 100%. They took him with a #2 pick just a few years ago, he's proven that he can be a decent starting QB, they do still have their own questions at QB, a QB is the hottest commodity out there...It all adds up to being a pretty pricey acquisition.

But I would be willing to risk a 2012 first rounder for him. Say we end up picking 7th this year. That gives us a good shot at filling one major need, at CB or DT, say, while putting us too far down to have a chance at Luck and too high to take a gamble on any of the other QB's coming out this year. So say we get a CB there, and send our 2012 first rounder to PHI for Kolb. If in successive first rounds, technically, we get a #1 CB and stability at QB, I'd say that's a win. Add in what will hopefully be a competent and accomplished coaching staff, and I think we would have enough pieces to make a playoff push while gathering and developing the other missing pieces.

But that's a lot of ifs and buts. we have to wait and see how it all shakes out, because I'm also not really sold on Kolb and think he would only be a good pickup depending on our draft status and who our coaches are. Because if we hired, say, Morninwheg, I'd be a lot more comfortable bringing in Kolb knowing that he would be in a system he knows and has done well in.
Kolb is just this year's favorite option for a lot of teams who are not happy with their current QB. Every year a different FA gets a lot more money than they are worth because they are the flavor of the week. Next week there is a new flavor.
no way I would trade Justin Smith, our 2nd best Defensive Player behind Willis for Kolb.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
no way I would trade Justin Smith, our 2nd best Defensive Player behind Willis for Kolb.

this. and no way i give a 1st rounder for him either. he's had 2 or 3 very good games and 2 or 3 TERRIBLE games. inconsistent QBs are a dime a dozen in this league.

i would give alex smith away for free!
Originally posted by nickbradley:
With Vick's amazing level of play and his free-agent status after the year, Kolb will likely be traded. I think he would be a great pick-up, especially if we hire Gruden as Head Coach. Gruden runs a West coast offense similar to Reid, so Kolb would already know the playbook.

An amazing scenario would be:

Holmgren as GM
Gruden as HC
Kolb at QB

Why would Philly trade Kolb when their starter is extremely injury prone? Hes not due to make all that much next year and its not as if they have a ton of holes to fill that they need the extra picks that badly.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
we need an offensive line because kolb is not mobile at all

I don't know, he didn't seem to have a problem running for a first down on 3rd and 20 on us.
Originally posted by valrod33:
As cheap as Kolb is gonna be next year they have no reason to trade him especially if Vick keeps taking hits like he is. IMO the Eagles wont trade him unless they get blown away with an offer.

I don't know, if I heard correctly Kolb will be on the books for 10 million next year. Add that to what it'll take to sign Vick (which promises to be a pretty absurd contract) and I think they'll be priced out.
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
Originally posted by valrod33:
As cheap as Kolb is gonna be next year they have no reason to trade him especially if Vick keeps taking hits like he is. IMO the Eagles wont trade him unless they get blown away with an offer.

I don't know, if I heard correctly Kolb will be on the books for 10 million next year. Add that to what it'll take to sign Vick (which promises to be a pretty absurd contract) and I think they'll be priced out.

Kolb makes 1.392 million next year. thats it, no bonus.
Share 49ersWebzone