LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Chad Henne benched in favor of Chad Pennington

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

R.I.P. Chad Henne
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
The QB carousel is in full swing around the NFL.

Agreed...

It really does make one wonder -- and wonder aloud -- just what has happened to the state of quarterback in the NFL. Quality starters are so few and far between now -- it makes you wonder what has gone wrong.

Are NFL teams drafting the wrong guys? Throwing them into the fire too fast? Is the coaching all screwed up? Have defenses caught up to whatever any offense can throw against them? Is the focus on 300 + lb. linemen the wrong way to go?

Or is it a combination of everything?

I know that not every team can have a great QB. But there was a day and age when most teams DID have pretty good signal callers. Some were better than others -- but they weren't terrible like today. It seems like I can count the number of really good QB's in this league with just five fingers.

What's gone wrong? It makes one wonder just how many really good QB's -- that would do well on an NFL stage -- are getting passed over by scouts and teams.

I mean -- if you start for Notre Dame? You're a lock to get drafted and a lock to "get a chance" on the big stage. But if you start for Ball State? It doesn't matter how many small school records you set or how much small school hardware you bring home -- you're not getting a chance on the big stage unless lightening strikes thrice.

It just makes me shake my head when you see teams like the 49ers stick with one guy come heck or high water -- despite five solid years of losing, pathetic football. And I'm not just picking on the Niners. Other teams do this as well. Look how long Houston stuck with David Carr? Tim Couch in Cleveland? There are examples everywhere.

Something just isn't right when it comes to the position of QB. The league has really lost its way. We should have better signal callers than this.
Miami offense was nothing but Wildcat.
Now that teams adapted, suckass Chads are ineffective.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Agreed...

It really does make one wonder -- and wonder aloud -- just what has happened to the state of quarterback in the NFL. Quality starters are so few and far between now -- it makes you wonder what has gone wrong.

Are NFL teams drafting the wrong guys? Throwing them into the fire too fast? Is the coaching all screwed up? Have defenses caught up to whatever any offense can throw against them? Is the focus on 300 + lb. linemen the wrong way to go?

I know that not every team can have a great QB. But there was a day and age when most teams DID have pretty good signal callers. Some were better than others -- but they weren't terrible like today. It seems like I can count the number of really good QB's in this league with just five fingers.

What's gone wrong? It makes one wonder just how many really good QB's -- that would do well on an NFL stage -- are getting passed over by scouts and teams.

I mean -- if you start for Notre Dame? You're a lock to get drafted and a lock to "get a chance" on the big stage. But if you start for Ball State? It doesn't matter how many small school records you set or how much small school hardware you bring home -- you're not getting a chance on the big stage unless lightening strikes thrice.

It just makes me shake my head when you see teams like the 49ers stick with one guy come heck or high water -- despite five solid years of losing, pathetic football. And I'm not just picking on the Niners. Other teams do this as well. Look how long Houston stuck with David Carr? Tim Couch in Cleveland? There are examples everywhere.
Something just isn't right when it comes to the position of QB. The league has really lost its way. We should have better signal callers than this.

It's called money.
So how does this bode for Brandon Marshall?? I have him in one of my Fantasy leagues...

Agreed...

Granted they went to teams on the rise... but it was only 5yrs ago when a draft gave us Eli Manning, Philip Rivers & Ben Roethisberger!! that's not schemes & coaches affecting QB's... that's pure play quality right there.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Pennington is a winner, he's like Garcia in many ways.
  • dj43

Agreed...

Biggest problem is the "quarterback" premium in the draft. QBs get paid more than other players so the pressure is to get them in the game before they are ready.

The number of high draft pick QBs that have been wasted by getting thrown into the games too soon is long, as is the number who were picked by teams that had very bad coaching for QBs.

Agreed...

I actually disagree. I think there are more great QBs playing now than have played during any era. Youre always going to have busts.
Originally posted by susweel:
Pennington is a winner, he's like Garcia in many ways.

Pennington was always very accurate. I'd take him.

Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by LundyLove:
I would not mind penny as our QB in 2011 while we groom a rookie

He is a very under-appreciated player

Career rating of 90.1 is way better than what we have now

Pennington is worse than A Smithbroke and M Glassford combined dude was always hurt

Isn't that the definiton of Alex Smith? At least Pennington has led his teams into the playofs and won quite a few games.

No hes gonna be 36 next year. Hes basically an injury prone Shaun Hill at this point
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Dolphins just got better.
Originally posted by zozell:
So how does this bode for Brandon Marshall?? I have him in one of my Fantasy leagues...

Pennington is accurate on short throws. So Marshall should get more catches underneath.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by zozell:

Pennington is accurate on short throws. So Marshall should get more catches underneath.

Ya.. He'll have like 12 catches for 48 yards.

Yup. We are not the only ones! haha

49ers
Cowboys
Miami
Arizona
Carolina
Oakland
Cleveland
Buffalo
Washington
Share 49ersWebzone