LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Met Mike Nolan

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by strickac:
Aside from his dying loyalty to Alex Smith, I always liked Nolan. He's a good coach. Defensively, he really knows his stuff. He's one of the more classy coaches in the league.

For me, it's hard to knock the guy. I can't hate him for trying to bring some dignity and soem high-character players to our organization. He just made the wrong pick at QB. Had he grabbed Aaron Rodgers #1, he'd probably still be our HC and we'd probably be singing his praises. Who knows? I wish him well.

Come on, nobody remembers the big nickel D? Or how he shafted Shaun Hill for JT OSullivan? Or the hiring of Jeff Hostler at OC?
you should have shoot him him for all those miserable season he gave us
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Nolan was a draft genius.

Not really a great coach overall but a great defensive coach.

The Broncos d isn't doing to well because they lost Dumervil.

Otherwise it would be a different story.

lmao
I liked Nolan alot, especially his first few years. I think he did some things with the QB's that last year or so that was all about desperation to keep his job, and that kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Aside from not handling the QB position well after Alex's injury, though, he did a lot to make us better, and his pops was a good Niners coach, and if I saw Nolan I would just say, "Thanks, man, for making us better than we were, and good luck." Glad to hear that he's a cool dude. He's a great DC and maybe if he gets a 2nd shot at HC he can be a pretty good one. A lot of good/great coaches need more than one shot to get it right.

Especially, I think, when they are a first-time head coach and given a lot of power over personnel. I think a lot of first time coaches bite off more than they can chew the first time around, Nolan included.
Originally posted by 804Niner:
I met Nolan yesterday after the Dolphins and Ravens game yesterday...Nolan seem like a pretty cool cat...Ofcourse he wasnt in the best of moods after the Dolphins got their asses handed to them...I did ask him about Singletary and the job he was doing. In so many words, he said that he thought Sing has what it takes to get the Niners back on track but sometimes it takes a little longer than expected...Pretty chill guy overall tho

Just curious, but why does the date stamp on the pic say 2006?
great coordinator and GM crappy HC
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

when i saw that early in the early afternoon I too had the same ?.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I met Nolan yesterday after the Dolphins and Ravens game yesterday...Nolan seem like a pretty cool cat...Ofcourse he wasnt in the best of moods after the Dolphins got their asses handed to them...I did ask him about Singletary and the job he was doing. In so many words, he said that he thought Sing has what it takes to get the Niners back on track but sometimes it takes a little longer than expected...Pretty chill guy overall tho

I guess he never fixed the date/time?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Aside from his dying loyalty to Alex Smith, I always liked Nolan. He's a good coach. Defensively, he really knows his stuff. He's one of the more classy coaches in the league.

For me, it's hard to knock the guy. I can't hate him for trying to bring some dignity and soem high-character players to our organization. He just made the wrong pick at QB. Had he grabbed Aaron Rodgers #1, he'd probably still be our HC and we'd probably be singing his praises. Who knows? I wish him well.

Come on, nobody remembers the big nickel D? Or how he shafted Shaun Hill for JT OSullivan? Or the hiring of Jeff Hostler at OC?

The big nickel D probably put our best defensive players on the field all at the same time.

Nolan actually gave Martz the keys to the offense - O'Sullivan performed the best in pre-season. So you can't blame that on Nolan.

And the Hostler hire made sense considering how late Norv Turner left for the Chargers HC gig.
Originally posted by GEEK:

The big nickel D probably put our best defensive players on the field all at the same time.

Nolan actually gave Martz the keys to the offense - O'Sullivan performed the best in pre-season. So you can't blame that on Nolan.

And the Hostler hire made sense considering how late Norv Turner left for the Chargers HC gig.

The big nickel got routinely owned by other teams. I don't understand why everyone is so appologetic for Nolan now. He was a bad coach back then, good coordinator now though. But our bend but don't break D routinely gave up long drives that resulted in TDs for the other team and he chose Alex over Rodgers because Aaron wouldn't hop around on 1 foot or some bs like that. Not to mention that once he chose Alex he didn't do a great job developing him. The only thing Nolan did well here was convince guys to sign with us(Justin Smith, Nate Clements, Mike Lewis, etc). Not to mention he got rid of Antonio Bryant when he was our only good WR.

Originally posted by GEEK:

The big nickel got routinely owned by other teams. I don't understand why everyone is so appologetic for Nolan now. He was a bad coach back then, good coordinator now though. But our bend but don't break D routinely gave up long drives that resulted in TDs for the other team and he chose Alex over Rodgers because Aaron wouldn't hop around on 1 foot or some bs like that. Not to mention that once he chose Alex he didn't do a great job developing him. The only thing Nolan did well here was convince guys to sign with us(Justin Smith, Nate Clements, Mike Lewis, etc). Not to mention he got rid of Antonio Bryant when he was our only good WR.

This.

Nolan was terrible. Don't let today's situation make you think otherwise.
i dont like him as a HC, maybe as a DC he knows his s**t but he doesnt belong as a HC anywhere. except dallas, they can have him lol. as a person i dont hate the guy but he was in way over his head, just like singletary is.
Originally posted by jreff22:
You should of kicked him in the balls then b***hed slapped him

Wow dude did you think of that all on your own!?

Mike didn't take us to the promise land but damn he made us wayyyy better then the clowns he started with! He was or is a Niner fan atleast show alittle respect for the dude!
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
Originally posted by jreff22:
You should of kicked him in the balls then b***hed slapped him

Wow dude did you think of that all on your own!?

Mike didn't take us to the promise land but damn he made us wayyyy better then the clowns he started with! He was or is a Niner fan atleast show alittle respect for the dude!

Don't trip, respect is a word 98% of NT does not know....

-
I liked him. He was a classy guy and very well organized. He just made a mistake in the draft and had no clue about the offensive side of the ball. Oh and he took on too much responsibility.
[ Edited by silkyjohnson on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:04 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone