There are 219 users in the forums

How does the NFL commissioner lose his job?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by DANADA:
gonna haft to agree I do not like Goodell

seriously? hes the best commissioner the NFL has had in a long time. he actually enforces rules and regulations. he makes players think twice about doing things they shouldnt.

i agree the fines for hits are getting ridiculous, but the NFL is a very successful business, and big lumbering defensive players are a dime a dozen. nobody buys the NT jersey. if they go helmet to helmet with Peyton Manning, and hes out for the season, the NFL loses money.

the fact is, its a QB league. they sell jersies, theyre the faces of the NFL, and if theyre sitting on IR while guys like Seneca Wallace are playing, the NFL loses viewers. defensive players will lose every time. they dont make the NFL money, so they get fined big bucks for threatening the guys who do make money.

The two points in bold above were points I was going to mention. I like that he is holding players accountable, especially when they do stupid s**t off the field. That was something Tagliabue never did.

With that being said, the fines are getting a bit ridiculous, but, I think its a reaction to the attention being given to concussions, which is well deserved attention. With older players having multiple health issues and side effects from concussions suffered during their playing careers, a lot of blame seemed to be heaped on the NFL for not protecting them then and also not providing for them now.

i agree as well. I think his enforcement of punishment for off-the-field stuff has helped the NFL, and his attempts to the do the same with on-the-field stuff is well-intentioned, though I still think some kinks are being worked out there, in terms of how best to protect players and enforce those rules.

One thing I don't like about Goodell, and its a big thing, is his push to expand the season and to expand outside the US. I understand it from a business standpoint, but I think those things will ruin the league more than anything else he's done.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

seriously? hes the best commissioner the NFL has had in a long time. he actually enforces rules and regulations. he makes players think twice about doing things they shouldnt.

i agree the fines for hits are getting ridiculous, but the NFL is a very successful business, and big lumbering defensive players are a dime a dozen. nobody buys the NT jersey. if they go helmet to helmet with Peyton Manning, and hes out for the season, the NFL loses money.

the fact is, its a QB league. they sell jersies, theyre the faces of the NFL, and if theyre sitting on IR while guys like Seneca Wallace are playing, the NFL loses viewers. defensive players will lose every time. they dont make the NFL money, so they get fined big bucks for threatening the guys who do make money.

The two points in bold above were points I was going to mention. I like that he is holding players accountable, especially when they do stupid s**t off the field. That was something Tagliabue never did.

With that being said, the fines are getting a bit ridiculous, but, I think its a reaction to the attention being given to concussions, which is well deserved attention. With older players having multiple health issues and side effects from concussions suffered during their playing careers, a lot of blame seemed to be heaped on the NFL for not protecting them then and also not providing for them now.

i agree as well. I think his enforcement of punishment for off-the-field stuff has helped the NFL, and his attempts to the do the same with on-the-field stuff is well-intentioned, though I still think some kinks are being worked out there, in terms of how best to protect players and enforce those rules.

One thing I don't like about Goodell, and its a big thing, is his push to expand the season and to expand outside the US. I understand it from a business standpoint, but I think those things will ruin the league more than anything else he's done.

Those are excellent points and I agree entirely. I really dislike the push for an game regular season - as it is, I think a 16 game regular season is too long. An 18 game season would mean more meaningless games for good teams that have nothing to play for toward the end of the season as their playoff spot is already secure and owners charging full price for admission.
Did anyone say "assassination," yet?

Those are excellent points and I agree entirely. I really dislike the push for an game regular season - as it is, I think a 16 game regular season is too long. An 18 game season would mean more meaningless games for good teams that have nothing to play for toward the end of the season as their playoff spot is already secure and owners charging full price for admission.

Agreed. I find it funny how, on one hand he is all for player's safty but on the other hand he wants to expand the regular season to 18 games. Not to mention the issues for players who travel back and forth to Europe for regular season games. Morals seem to go out the window when money is involved.
Damn.

The same thing that happened to Lawson,happened to the Eagles on a third down that resulted into a t.d.

Peyton's helmet was tapped.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Damn.

The same thing that happened to Lawson,happened to the Eagles on a third down that resulted into a t.d.

Peyton's helmet was tapped.

m reply on a NFL.com austin collie video.

i am all for protecting players, but that should not be an illegal hit. they are ruining the game of football. first they are making it a 7v7 game. just go to last week when manny lawson gets a 15yd penalty because orton tried to duck the tackle and lawson(doing a proper form tackle) has his hand graze orton's helmet. heck(because the other one is banned) players hit teammates helmets harder than that in celebration. then he gets fined for making a PERFECT form tackle when he comes unblocked and disrupts the pass attempt only be fined for the hit. then this, i feel bad for collie, but everything about that play is perfect by the defense. goodel needs to step down or get a clue how fast this game moves and what he is asking players to do is impossible, but then again that is what he wants high powered offenses and little defense. i see way too many bogus calls on the defense and way too many refs that have no business calling the game. if they continue down this road and definatly if they lock out i am going to bail on the NFL and become a UFL fan, $15 tickets instead of $130, and i get to see an actual football game.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by teeohh:
PFT had a short story on Troy Palomalu suggesting that the NFL should have check and balances like our government because Goodell has too much power. Like a group of players or something. But he's right, Goodell is a jack ass.

Were fines ever this ridiculous under the previous commissioner?

Besides changing the draft to prime time, I don't like what he's doing at all.

they have that; its called the Players Union.

"[H]e's got all the power; that may be part of the problem, that there needs to be some type of separation of power like our government," Polamalu said. "There should be some type of players involved in decisions over how much people should be fined or what they should be fined for, as well as coaches, as well as front office people.

"I don't think it should be just totally based on what two or three people may say who are totally away from the game. I think it should be some of the players who are currently playing."

link for rest

and? that's where the players union comes in. they negotiate on behalf of the players. the whole point of organized labor is to balance the desires of the workers against the desires of the employers. with a new CBA being negotiated, now would be the perfect time to put things like having active players as part of the competition committee on the table.

Players Union has no power! When was the last time they won an argument?

Well, now is the time for them to reassert their power. I think they actually have a decent union. With their previous strikes they won a lot from the owners. I think what the union has to do this year is go on strike, not wait to be locked out. But of course they won't, because they don't want to lose the PR battle (which I think they will lose anyway; the public can't handle the idea of workers taking action and demanding fair treatment.)

Actually I believe what Troy was talking about was there needs to be some kind of decision making balance in things like who get's fined for hits. Right now it's Goodell and only Goodell. IMO, if they are going to punish players for those things, there should be a committee made up of former players who decide what was over the top.
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
PFT had a short story on Troy Palomalu suggesting that the NFL should have check and balances like our government because Goodell has too much power. Like a group of players or something. But he's right, Goodell is a jack ass.

Were fines ever this ridiculous under the previous commissioner?

Besides changing the draft to prime time, I don't like what he's doing at all.

they have that; its called the Players Union.

"[H]e's got all the power; that may be part of the problem, that there needs to be some type of separation of power like our government," Polamalu said. "There should be some type of players involved in decisions over how much people should be fined or what they should be fined for, as well as coaches, as well as front office people.

"I don't think it should be just totally based on what two or three people may say who are totally away from the game. I think it should be some of the players who are currently playing."

link for rest

and? that's where the players union comes in. they negotiate on behalf of the players. the whole point of organized labor is to balance the desires of the workers against the desires of the employers. with a new CBA being negotiated, now would be the perfect time to put things like having active players as part of the competition committee on the table.

Players Union has no power! When was the last time they won an argument?

Well, now is the time for them to reassert their power. I think they actually have a decent union. With their previous strikes they won a lot from the owners. I think what the union has to do this year is go on strike, not wait to be locked out. But of course they won't, because they don't want to lose the PR battle (which I think they will lose anyway; the public can't handle the idea of workers taking action and demanding fair treatment.)

Actually I believe what Troy was talking about was there needs to be some kind of decision making balance in things like who get's fined for hits. Right now it's Goodell and only Goodell. IMO, if they are going to punish players for those things, there should be a committee made up of former players who decide what was over the top.

Incorrect. Art shell and Ted Cotrell both work in the league office and are part of the group that hands down fines and reviews fines.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by aman49:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Chief:
So owners have to vote him out?

Hmmm, any chance that would happen if there is no 2011 season?

IMO, no. Goodell is going to be the commissioner for years to come.

Yup... and he's done a damn good job. I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Holding players accountable for their actions off the field is something that should have been done a long time ago.

No not really. IMO Taglibue and Rozelle both were better commissioners than he. Goodell is looking to leave his mark somehow on the NFL and he has chosen to be the "savior" of the NFL by fining players for hits that are part of the game of football and claiming he is cleaning the game up. B frickin S. All he is doing is ruining the very spirit of the game that has made it the most popular sport in the US. I agree with Polamalu. He has too much power. There should be a subcomittee of player reps that determine what gets fines and what doesn't. The off the field issues I undestand. I don't know at this point who I hate more Goodell or the BCS!!!

Merton Hanks is the person who decides who does or doesn't get fined. And no way can you have current players on the list b/c they not gonna be fair. What if you get a Seattle player reviewing a Patrick Willis hit? And the Niners play the Seahawks the following week and they decide to suspend him for one game? The fan uproar would be crazy.

Originally posted by Chief:
So owners have to vote him out?

Hmmm, any chance that would happen if there is no 2011 season?

They not voting him out b/c they are the one's backing what he is doing. he's just not making up rules and decision s on his own. The owners are his boss. More offense means more fans more money for owners. Less hit on the qb's means more teams marketing there qb's and getting more money. The longer they can promote Manning and Brady the better for their pockets. Roger is just the messenger the owner's is where the message is coming from.
  • dj43
Goodell is doing a very good job in general. He is creating an environment in which both owners and players are making a lot of money.

While there are things he has done that I don't think are wise in the long run, the idea of controlling the level of career (and life-threatening) hits is not one of them.

Players should have some input, and that is something that the union and the league office should incorporate. I expect this current focus will have that result.

The problem is that players have gotten a LOT bigger and a LOT stronger yet the brain is still the same. Despite substantial improvements in helmet construction, no current helmet can protect the brain from the level of trauma players can inflict. They have been coached from Pop Warner on up to "run right through the ball carrier." That mentality, along with the increase in size and strength of players is hurting a lot of players in ways they will face the rest of their lives.

We are just now beginning to see the long-term effects of what happened to players in the '70s and '80s. The Jim McMahon situation is just the latest. It is good he has spoken out about it. Many others are just sitting quietly at home doing nothing, in too many cases, because they are now so limited in activity level they can't do much.

Goodell has addressed something that Tagliabue should have already dealt with. Good for him.

Share 49ersWebzone