LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

How does the NFL commissioner lose his job?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Chief:
So owners have to vote him out?

Hmmm, any chance that would happen if there is no 2011 season?

IMO, no. Goodell is going to be the commissioner for years to come.

Yup... and he's done a damn good job. I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Holding players accountable for their actions off the field is something that should have been done a long time ago.
yeah fire his ass
Originally posted by HessianDud:
the owners have to vote him out, I think, which they won't do as long as they're making tons of money.

make this happen
Originally posted by aman49:

Yup... and he's done a damn good job. I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Holding players accountable for their actions off the field is something that should have been done a long time ago.

No not really. IMO Taglibue and Rozelle both were better commissioners than he. Goodell is looking to leave his mark somehow on the NFL and he has chosen to be the "savior" of the NFL by fining players for hits that are part of the game of football and claiming he is cleaning the game up. B frickin S. All he is doing is ruining the very spirit of the game that has made it the most popular sport in the US. I agree with Polamalu. He has too much power. There should be a subcomittee of player reps that determine what gets fines and what doesn't. The off the field issues I undestand. I don't know at this point who I hate more Goodell or the BCS!!!
cant wait till someone catches this foo slippin

The owners just extended him prior to the season.

-9fA
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by aman49:

No not really. IMO Taglibue and Rozelle both were better commissioners than he. Goodell is looking to leave his mark somehow on the NFL and he has chosen to be the "savior" of the NFL by fining players for hits that are part of the game of football and claiming he is cleaning the game up. B frickin S. All he is doing is ruining the very spirit of the game that has made it the most popular sport in the US. I agree with Polamalu. He has too much power. There should be a subcomittee of player reps that determine what gets fines and what doesn't. The off the field issues I undestand. I don't know at this point who I hate more Goodell or the BCS!!!

Originally posted by DANADA:
gonna haft to agree I do not like Goodell

seriously? hes the best commissioner the NFL has had in a long time. he actually enforces rules and regulations. he makes players think twice about doing things they shouldnt.

i agree the fines for hits are getting ridiculous, but the NFL is a very successful business, and big lumbering defensive players are a dime a dozen. nobody buys the NT jersey. if they go helmet to helmet with Peyton Manning, and hes out for the season, the NFL loses money.

the fact is, its a QB league. they sell jersies, theyre the faces of the NFL, and if theyre sitting on IR while guys like Seneca Wallace are playing, the NFL loses viewers. defensive players will lose every time. they dont make the NFL money, so they get fined big bucks for threatening the guys who do make money.
Originally posted by Niners99:

seriously? hes the best commissioner the NFL has had in a long time. he actually enforces rules and regulations. he makes players think twice about doing things they shouldnt.

i agree the fines for hits are getting ridiculous, but the NFL is a very successful business, and big lumbering defensive players are a dime a dozen. nobody buys the NT jersey. if they go helmet to helmet with Peyton Manning, and hes out for the season, the NFL loses money.

the fact is, its a QB league. they sell jersies, theyre the faces of the NFL, and if theyre sitting on IR while guys like Seneca Wallace are playing, the NFL loses viewers. defensive players will lose every time. they dont make the NFL money, so they get fined big bucks for threatening the guys who do make money.

the nfl seemed to get by fine without Goodell before
[ Edited by DANADA on Nov 6, 2010 at 10:26 AM ]
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by teeohh:
PFT had a short story on Troy Palomalu suggesting that the NFL should have check and balances like our government because Goodell has too much power. Like a group of players or something. But he's right, Goodell is a jack ass.

Were fines ever this ridiculous under the previous commissioner?

Besides changing the draft to prime time, I don't like what he's doing at all.

they have that; its called the Players Union.

"[H]e's got all the power; that may be part of the problem, that there needs to be some type of separation of power like our government," Polamalu said. "There should be some type of players involved in decisions over how much people should be fined or what they should be fined for, as well as coaches, as well as front office people.

"I don't think it should be just totally based on what two or three people may say who are totally away from the game. I think it should be some of the players who are currently playing."

link for rest

and? that's where the players union comes in. they negotiate on behalf of the players. the whole point of organized labor is to balance the desires of the workers against the desires of the employers. with a new CBA being negotiated, now would be the perfect time to put things like having active players as part of the competition committee on the table.

Players Union has no power! When was the last time they won an argument?

Well, now is the time for them to reassert their power. I think they actually have a decent union. With their previous strikes they won a lot from the owners. I think what the union has to do this year is go on strike, not wait to be locked out. But of course they won't, because they don't want to lose the PR battle (which I think they will lose anyway; the public can't handle the idea of workers taking action and demanding fair treatment.)

• titan
  • Veteran
I can't stand that guy. He is annoying and very power hungry. He almost comes across as a dictator than a commissioner. I began to hate him when he took it upon himself to dispose the tapes from the Patriots spygate scandal.
f**k Goodell. He can suck a dick I hope all the linebackers illegally tackle him, belowe the knees, helmet to the chest, helmet to the head. f**k him.
Originally posted by titan:
I can't stand that guy. He is annoying and very power hungry. He almost comes across as a dictator than a commissioner. I began to hate him when he took it upon himself to dispose the tapes from the Patriots spygate scandal.

this all of it
First of all, the NFL is a business and like any other business, they have a CEO. Since he is acting on behalf of the Owners to protect their business interests, there is not much anyone can do. As long as ratings are going through the roof and business is expanding and they are making more money, then he is doing his job. the Labor Union has the right to negotiate when the new CBA expires but beyond that all a consumer can do if they don't like a product is quit buying it, but you all eat it up like Crack addicts so he will stay in power

Personally, I think a lot of you are overreacting and he is doing a good job overall but like any CEO messes up on a few things
Originally posted by Niners99:

The two points in bold above were points I was going to mention. I like that he is holding players accountable, especially when they do stupid s**t off the field. That was something Tagliabue never did.

With that being said, the fines are getting a bit ridiculous, but, I think its a reaction to the attention being given to concussions, which is well deserved attention. With older players having multiple health issues and side effects from concussions suffered during their playing careers, a lot of blame seemed to be heaped on the NFL for not protecting them then and also not providing for them now.
Share 49ersWebzone