Shop 49ers game tickets

If NFL expands to Europe...

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
IF, the NFL expands to London, I will never support the NFL again, meaning no more NFL Ticket and no More support of Goodell.

This is a terrible idea IMO.

agreed.

Why do you guys hate the idea so much.

Its the National Football League, not the International Football League.

The NFL does just fine without an LA team (although would make sense to make use of the LA market), it certainly does not need to go abroad.

I think the NFL needs to do 2 things:
1- Move the Chargers closer to LA and call them the So. Cal Chargers or something, thus taking advantage of the LA market and San Diego market. People aren't going to Charger games anymore, this week is gonna be blacked out and it has been a common issue this season.
2 - Move the Jags. Haven't really thought of where to move them but they gotta go somewhere. This team doesn't have much history in Jacksonville and they struggle selling out games.

Other than that it's fine. Sure play a game or 2 abroad, but to have a team their would be a disaster.
[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Oct 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM ]
IF, the NFL expands to London, I will never support the NFL again, meaning no more NFL Ticket and no More support of Goodell.

agreed.

Business is now global, more countries more money.

Its gonna happen globalization can't be stopped.

and i will stop watching the NFL when/if that happens. The NFL is making money globally without having to put teams/games there.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

agreed.

and i will stop watching the NFL when/if that happens. The NFL is making money globally without having to put teams/games there.

Yup. I can live with an international game or 2 each season. But a team would be a terrible idea.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

agreed.

Yup. I can live with an international game or 2 each season. But a team would be a terrible idea.

i'd rather have a single international game than having an entire team based over there, but I'd prefer that all the games be played here. Frankly, I hate that we lose a home game to play in London. It creates an unbalanced schedule, especially for the home team, but for both teams involved, who have to add an enormous amount of travelling to their schedule. Its a very under-rated aspect of a season, how much/where a team has to travel, and forcing teams to go all the way to london just to expand the "brand" is unfair. It has nothing to do with competition. It treats the actual game as an afterthought to the spectacle, and it leaves an extremely bad taste in my mouth.

The NFL does a lot of things that I don't really like, and a lot of it I can overlook because the games are still exciting and the league is unpredictable and competitive. But there will come a point where they go too far and I won't be able to ignore the things I dislike about the NFL. Moving to an 18 game schedule is one nail in the coffin for me, and moving a team, or starting an expansion team (or two) in another country, will seal up the coffin and put in the ground and cover it with dirt.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

agreed.

i'd rather have a single international game than having an entire team based over there, but I'd prefer that all the games be played here. Frankly, I hate that we lose a home game to play in London. It creates an unbalanced schedule, especially for the home team, but for both teams involved, who have to add an enormous amount of travelling to their schedule. Its a very under-rated aspect of a season, how much/where a team has to travel, and forcing teams to go all the way to london just to expand the "brand" is unfair. It has nothing to do with competition. It treats the actual game as an afterthought to the spectacle, and it leaves an extremely bad taste in my mouth.

The NFL does a lot of things that I don't really like, and a lot of it I can overlook because the games are still exciting and the league is unpredictable and competitive. But there will come a point where they go too far and I won't be able to ignore the things I dislike about the NFL. Moving to an 18 game schedule is one nail in the coffin for me, and moving a team, or starting an expansion team (or two) in another country, will seal up the coffin and put in the ground and cover it with dirt.

The one thing the NFL needs to learn is that if anything, franchises should be taken away. 32 teams is probably too many.
More games and an international team? That'll probably work out for NBA and MLB.

agreed.

The one thing the NFL needs to learn is that if anything, franchises should be taken away. 32 teams is probably too many.

32 is literally as many as it could hold, IMO. Fewer teams wouldn't bother me, and might be better, but I think it would be f**ked up for the fans of whatever teams get squeezed out if the NFL decided to contract--especially since, as of today, at least, the NFL is so profitable that it really couldn't justify eliminating a couple of teams.

And that's maybe the most troubling thing about the NFL putting a team in London or wherever: they will either have to add a team, or more, and disrupt the division balance they created with realignment, or they will move a team, which is one of the worst things I can imagine happening, as a fan. Having your team move to another city or state is bad enough--and if the Niners moved I would have a really hard time remaining interested in the NFL, even if they kept the name--but having your team move to an entirely different country? That would just be f*cked up.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

agreed.

32 is literally as many as it could hold, IMO. Fewer teams wouldn't bother me, and might be better, but I think it would be f**ked up for the fans of whatever teams get squeezed out if the NFL decided to contract--especially since, as of today, at least, the NFL is so profitable that it really couldn't justify eliminating a couple of teams.

And that's maybe the most troubling thing about the NFL putting a team in London or wherever: they will either have to add a team, or more, and disrupt the division balance they created with realignment, or they will move a team, which is one of the worst things I can imagine happening, as a fan. Having your team move to another city or state is bad enough--and if the Niners moved I would have a really hard time remaining interested in the NFL, even if they kept the name--but having your team move to an entirely different country? That would just be f*cked up.

Yeah, its a shame its all about the money. You take away 2-4 teams and you get a much more competitive and better league IMO. I know it's never gonna happen, but it would be the best for the league. Maybe go back to the East, Central and West divisions or something. It's a shame that has a 0% chance of happening

agreed.

Yeah, its a shame its all about the money. You take away 2-4 teams and you get a much more competitive and better league IMO. I know it's never gonna happen, but it would be the best for the league. Maybe go back to the East, Central and West divisions or something. It's a shame that has a 0% chance of happening

I wish the NFL would be content with expanding their business with things like NFL Network and RedZone and merchandise and whatever and just leave the goddamn game alone. And that's the really frustrating thing about this international garbage: international fans have plenty of opportunities these days to follow the NFL and pay the NFL money for merchandise, etc, and it doesn't cost the NFL squat, really, to reach that market. Putting a team there is going to be expensive for everyone involved, and while watching live football is really fun, its honestly better to watch it on TV. So their whole idea makes no sense to me.
i hope there is never a team outside of the US. no other countries really want football(maybe canada). the only reason these london games sell out is because it is only one game a year. i don't think there would be enough fan support for american football over there. plus i don't think many players would want to play over there anyway. thats alot of miles per season.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Who cares about the name? It will definitely be London though where the first team is.
no, during the nfl europe, the best supporters were found in frankfurt. and there are a lot of us soldiers based near frankfurt.
don't see it for fure that london would get the first european nfl team and i don't get why the nfl tries it in gb instead of germany.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Who cares about the name? It will definitely be London though where the first team is.
no, during the nfl europe, the best supporters were found in frankfurt. and there are a lot of us soldiers based near frankfurt.
don't see it for fure that london would get the first european nfl team and i don't get why the nfl tries it in gb instead of germany.

London has some interest in NFL football but so does Germany which has very large interest. I could see a team or a few in Germany someday.
Originally posted by niners9:
i hope there is never a team outside of the US. no other countries really want football(maybe canada). the only reason these london games sell out is because it is only one game a year. i don't think there would be enough fan support for american football over there. plus i don't think many players would want to play over there anyway. thats alot of miles per season.

The world league made numerous mistakes, which caused the thing, in the end, to collapse. There is a market here, in Scotland and in Germany, for football. I think that had the initial concept been better developed it would now be a very strong sport. For example, when you are launching a new sport in a country you don't go straight to one of the largest, oldest and crappest stadiums in the country. Old Wembley took some filling and was not sited in the best position. But that opportunity was lost and I am not sure if the ground can be recovered. And I am also not sure if the Commissioner was just sounding off to his audience. I didn't see any timescales which is usually a bad thing.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by niners9:

The world league made numerous mistakes, which caused the thing, in the end, to collapse. There is a market here, in Scotland and in Germany, for football. I think that had the initial concept been better developed it would now be a very strong sport. For example, when you are launching a new sport in a country you don't go straight to one of the largest, oldest and crappest stadiums in the country. Old Wembley took some filling and was not sited in the best position. But that opportunity was lost and I am not sure if the ground can be recovered. And I am also not sure if the Commissioner was just sounding off to his audience. I didn't see any timescales which is usually a bad thing.

Once the Worldwide economy turns around I'd like them to reconsider the NFL Europe. If it weren't for the geography, it'd be cool if you had a system almost like the Premier League, the worst team in the NFL goes to NFL Europe and with winner of NFL Europe goes to the NFL haha
If this is the s**t that we're gonna send to Europe, I think Europe will just send it back.
Share 49ersWebzone