There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Yes, especially if Jon Gruden is named head coach. Gruden really likes Smith's tools, and is just the type of guy who could raise his game to another level. I think Smith would be thrilled to have Gruden take over, especially on a team that has a fair amount of talent.

The Niners are not far from making a major playoff run. They simply need someone who knows what they are doing to take over.

Thank you. That is the only HC candidate that has enough offensive credibility to entice Smith to stay. I have no idea what Gruden thinks of the organization but he is one coach that could change the culture around here.

Rumors floating around that the Cleveland Browns are more enticing because of his relationship with Holmgren (re Gruden returning to head coaching).

That would make sense, although I can't see Smith too excited about playing in the Dawg Pound. Those frigid days on the edge of the lake are not fun.
Originally posted by prime21:
Originally posted by susweel:

He's a natural...........................backup QB.

This was the center who snaped the ball wrong..... and, and, and, the WR ran the wrong route....
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by prime21:

He's a natural...........................backup QB.

This was the center who snaped the ball wrong..... and, and, and, the WR ran the wrong route....

last time I checked it is usually the fault of the center when the snap is fumbled
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Actually, I would think he's going to be very reluctant to leave the organization.

Alex Smith is smart. He knows he needs continuity in order to have success. Leaving the organization would be starting over for him.

I think teams will be reluctant to sign him if he had a Peyton Manning-type year. Remember, Derek Anderson was super successful a few years ago, and then stunk it up the next. I'd be cautious as 49ers management to re-sign him long-term, even if he DID do well at the end of the year.

Actually Anderson only had four very good games that year. By the end of the season fans were calling for his head.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by valrod33:
SF, Buffalo, Jacksonville are the only places where he could compete as a starter

Carolina, Oakland

I think oakland is good with Gradkowski/Campbell

Yah Gradknowski is better then Smith.

Yah, but Campbell is worse. That proves Smith is starter material.
Just watch . . . if Smith becomes available AT LEAST 32 teams will be scrapping for his services! GUARANTEED.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
SF, Buffalo, Jacksonville are the only places where he could compete as a starter

Carolina, Oakland

Just watch . . . if Smith becomes available AT LEAST 32 teams will be scrapping for his services! GUARANTEED.

NFL teams??

Carolina, Oakland

Yah as a back up.

Carolina, Oakland

Yah as a back up.

there will be a team that will pick him up to be a starter. There is at least 5-8 teams that would sign him to be a starter.

Carolina, Oakland

The worst 5 teams in football.

Add Minne to that list. Favre is done after this year and Tarvaris Jackson is less accurate than Smith.

Also, Carson Palmer has not played well since his knee injury in the playoffs three years ago. His current rating is just one notch above Smith. The last two years his receivers and fans have been critical of his performance. Cincy would bring Smith in to compete with Palmer, but all that would depend on who replaces Marvin Lewis. Smith won't go where another defensive guy is HC.

There are other teams but we've been through them already in this thread. You can make a case for Smith competing for the starting job on at least 8, perhaps 10 teams, based on their current QB.

Carolina, Oakland

The worst 5 teams in football.

Add Minne to that list. Favre is done after this year and Tarvaris Jackson is less accurate than Smith.

Also, Carson Palmer has not played well since his knee injury in the playoffs three years ago. His current rating is just one notch above Smith. The last two years his receivers and fans have been critical of his performance. Cincy would bring Smith in to compete with Palmer, but all that would depend on who replaces Marvin Lewis. Smith won't go where another defensive guy is HC.

There are other teams but we've been through them already in this thread. You can make a case for Smith competing for the starting job on at least 8, perhaps 10 teams, based on their current QB.

exactly. If or when smith moves on from SF he will be the starting QB for another team in the league. He will probably go where a HC actually knows how to utilize the strengths of their players too.
Let's say he stops committing turnovers and we make the playoffs. The question then becomes how long are we willing to commit to him and are there other organizations that are willing to exceed what we offer.

Chances are he's not going to want to be here if he thinks we're still shaky on him and will pull the plug if something better comes along.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Let's say he stops committing turnovers and we make the playoffs. The question then becomes how long are we willing to commit to him and are there other organizations that are willing to exceed what we offer.

Chances are he's not going to want to be here if he thinks we're still shaky on him and will pull the plug if something better comes along.

The only way we make the playoffs is if the OLine magicaly learns how to protect Smith over night.
Yes, especially if Jon Gruden is named head coach. Gruden really likes Smith's tools, and is just the type of guy who could raise his game to another level. I think Smith would be thrilled to have Gruden take over, especially on a team that has a fair amount of talent.

The Niners are not far from making a major playoff run. They simply need someone who knows what they are doing to take over.

Thank you. That is the only HC candidate that has enough offensive credibility to entice Smith to stay. I have no idea what Gruden thinks of the organization but he is one coach that could change the culture around here.

Rumors floating around that the Cleveland Browns are more enticing because of his relationship with Holmgren (re Gruden returning to head coaching).

That would make sense, although I can't see Smith too excited about playing in the Dawg Pound. Those frigid days on the edge of the lake are not fun.

No fricken way! There is no way that we should bring back Smith if we bring in a new coach. We dont have time for him to learn another offense, not to mention the WCO is probably the worst possible system for a QB with accuracy issues (see missed pass to Gore raider game & Moran)
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

No fricken way! There is no way that we should bring back Smith if we bring in a new coach. We dont have time for him to learn another offense, not to mention the WCO is probably the worst possible system for a QB with accuracy issues (see missed pass to Gore raider game & Moran)

this
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

this

who said that the 49ers offense will be a WCO next season?