There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by fryet:
A bone for the Alex detractors. This thread assumes that Alex proves that he is a top 15 QB. If the season were to end today, it would not take that much money to resign him (he would get multiple offers, though). Alex potentially can be top 15 (he has been before statistically), but he has an uphill climb at this point.

Personally, I think the 49er Front Office has done a poor job planning for the future. They could have signed Alex Smith to a reasonable 2 year deal this offseason, and ensured that he would remain with the team - IF they wanted him. As it stands now, if he does well, they are going to have to overpay to keep him on the team.

Staying to a one year deal only saves them money if he fails. And you shouldn't plan for your future expecting your starting QB to fail.

Resigning Alex Smith would cause the 49ers to lose much of its fanbase.

Thats the most retarded thing I've ever heard. If a guy turns the season around and leads this team to the playoffs after 0-5...Niner fans wouldn't want him??? Wow. We would make the case for being about as dumb as Raider fans. Too many Niner fans have emotionally invested in hating one guy (Smith) than looking at the bigger picture...that regardless of our QB situation..we still lose. Its been an organizational problem from day 1 and we were all duped into thinking all these revolutionary changes were going to happen because Jed was named "owner." It's the same ol sht with a slightly better smell.

Im not on the Smith bandwagon but if we go 8-2 or 9-1 here on out...we'd be fools to not at least extend an offer. Even if he resigns I'd want a SOLID QB incase Smith were to severely regress.

Thats one big IF right there. Also even that were to some how magically happen I still would not Smith back. I want to have a QB that one day has a chance at winning a super bowl, and Smith is NEVER gonna be that QB. Not on this team, not any team.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
A bone for the Alex detractors. This thread assumes that Alex proves that he is a top 15 QB. If the season were to end today, it would not take that much money to resign him (he would get multiple offers, though). Alex potentially can be top 15 (he has been before statistically), but he has an uphill climb at this point.

Personally, I think the 49er Front Office has done a poor job planning for the future. They could have signed Alex Smith to a reasonable 2 year deal this offseason, and ensured that he would remain with the team - IF they wanted him. As it stands now, if he does well, they are going to have to overpay to keep him on the team.

Staying to a one year deal only saves them money if he fails. And you shouldn't plan for your future expecting your starting QB to fail.

It would be good riddance in most cases.

I am disappointed how things are turning out with Alex Smith as well, but he is close enough to being successful that I still hope that he can turn that corner. Regardless, we entered this season with Alex Smith as our starting QB. That meant that management believed that he had a good chance of being our long term solution at QB (we didn't spend a high draft pick to groom a successor). With that belief, 49ers should not have put 2011 at risk of losing our long term solution at QB - or having to overpay to keep him. That is why I thought that a 2 year contract with signing bonus was the best way to protect the 49ers. If he fails, you only have one year of dead money. If he succeeds, you have power in the negotiation for a long term contract, knowing that he is under contract for another year.
No hes smart enough to leave this org.

Owner sucks
Coaching sucks
Team isn't very good
He sucks
Actually, I would think he's going to be very reluctant to leave the organization.

Alex Smith is smart. He knows he needs continuity in order to have success. Leaving the organization would be starting over for him.

I think teams will be reluctant to sign him if he had a Peyton Manning-type year. Remember, Derek Anderson was super successful a few years ago, and then stunk it up the next. I'd be cautious as 49ers management to re-sign him long-term, even if he DID do well at the end of the year.
As another person said, his loyalty lies in SF so I can see him res-signing here.

If he is offered to re-sign, that means that he's played considerably well. Why exactly would he want to go somewhere else? This is probably the most talented team that he'll get to start on. If he gets an an offer from some other team, he'll either be competing for the starting position some team like Buffalo/Cleveland or he'll be the primary backup.

-9fA
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Actually, I would think he's going to be very reluctant to leave the organization.

Alex Smith is smart. He knows he needs continuity in order to have success. Leaving the organization would be starting over for him.

I think teams will be reluctant to sign him if he had a Peyton Manning-type year. Remember, Derek Anderson was super successful a few years ago, and then stunk it up the next. I'd be cautious as 49ers management to re-sign him long-term, even if he DID do well at the end of the year.

Staying he with this horrible ownership and coaching will 100% ruin his career. He still has a shot IMO with a diff org deff as a backup
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season Alex Smith isn't getting re-signed. The team will have options to upgrade the QB position in the offseason and will get severely ridiculed in the media if it passes on those options in order to go into year 7 of the Alex Smith project.

This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense.

The offseason was spent surrounding Alex Smith with better talent; bringing back the same OC for consistency; and pumping up his confidence by singing him praises in the media about his new found swag and leadership abilities.

Despite that he has failed to lead the team. Most importantly he's failed himself in not playing well enough to secure a new contract with the team and to remain a starter in this league after this season.

When he goes I hope he takes the delusional cultists masking as Niner fans with him.

I am disappointed how things are turning out with Alex Smith as well, but he is close enough to being successful that I still hope that he can turn that corner. Regardless, we entered this season with Alex Smith as our starting QB. That meant that management believed that he had a good chance of being our long term solution at QB (we didn't spend a high draft pick to groom a successor). With that belief, 49ers should not have put 2011 at risk of losing our long term solution at QB - or having to overpay to keep him. That is why I thought that a 2 year contract with signing bonus was the best way to protect the 49ers. If he fails, you only have one year of dead money. If he succeeds, you have power in the negotiation for a long term contract, knowing that he is under contract for another year.

close enough is not gonna make it....
  • obx49
  • Veteran

What makes you come to the conclusion that "he is close enough to be successful?" Has he ever had back to back games where he's thrown for 300 yd 2 tds, and no turnovers? Is he CONSISTENT ENOUGH (after 6 years) to warrant such conclusion.

Exactly right. They wouldn't be much of fans to begin with, if that's all it takes. See ya!
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Exactly right. They wouldn't be much of fans to begin with, if that's all it takes. See ya!

I wish they would just leave now
Originally posted by backontop:

You heard the boos at the stick, you heard the "we want Carr" chants. I'm sure the owner heard those as well.

No way he is asked to come back.

You heard the boos at the stick, you heard the "we want Carr" chants. I'm sure the owner heard those as well.

and those boos and chants were unwarranted as Smith was actually having a good game. But I guess if Smith doesn't throw for 5TD's+ a game then he sucks. Yea he is inconsistent, but so is the OLine play.

and those boos and chants were unwarranted as Smith was actually having a good game. But I guess if Smith doesn't throw for 5TD's+ a game then he sucks. Yea he is inconsistent, but so is the OLine play.

They were warranted, dude has been stinking up the place for 6 years now.

They were warranted, dude has been stinking up the place for 6 years now.

6 years Smith hasn't been as bad as you think he is. He has played pretty well considering his OLine couldn't block a peewee defensive line, his receivers mostly Morgan do not even attempt to catch the ball and Crabtree took a few games to get back into rythm with Smith. Take off the Hater shades and you will actually see what is going on.