LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 195 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Be great if he didn't!!!
I 3rd that!
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
I dont think Alex would start for another team in the NFL. Lets face it our #2 had more success in this league and is very much considered a bum in the league and his drafted team waited way to long to get rid of, ala Harrington... Sounds familiar dont it

And people can see that Smith is the better player.

Thing that you aren't mentioning when you mention Harrington is that Harrington was stuck behind one of the worst Lines in the NFL and the Lions didn't help the guy out. Hmmmmm, maybe OLines ARE important...

I think Smith may get a Line in front of him that can protect him at some point and don't be surprised if he ends up in Minnesota next year. Childress could do pretty well for Smith if the Redskins don't go after him. Shannahan only has McNabb for another season, so that would give him time to groom Smith to be their future.

It's funny how everyone craps all over Smith yet can admit that we did the guy no favors.

I hate it, but I would laugh my ass off if Smith came back with a huge chip on his shoulder and PWNED us every time he played against us.

It's serve a lot of us right. You all know who you are.

~Ceadder

Why would the Vikings want a QB who has proven to be a liability on a good team. Jackson has had way more success than Smith and knows their players and system. But the Vikes will bring in Smith? We are not talking about Farve, we are talking about Smith?
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Yes, especially if Jon Gruden is named head coach. Gruden really likes Smith's tools, and is just the type of guy who could raise his game to another level. I think Smith would be thrilled to have Gruden take over, especially on a team that has a fair amount of talent.

The Niners are not far from making a major playoff run. They simply need someone who knows what they are doing to take over.

Thank you. That is the only HC candidate that has enough offensive credibility to entice Smith to stay. I have no idea what Gruden thinks of the organization but he is one coach that could change the culture around here.

Rumors floating around that the Cleveland Browns are more enticing because of his relationship with Holmgren (re Gruden returning to head coaching).

[URL=http://img257.imageshack.us/i/gumby1.jpg/][/URL]

Sing & Smith
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Yes, especially if Jon Gruden is named head coach. Gruden really likes Smith's tools, and is just the type of guy who could raise his game to another level. I think Smith would be thrilled to have Gruden take over, especially on a team that has a fair amount of talent.

The Niners are not far from making a major playoff run. They simply need someone who knows what they are doing to take over.

Thank you. That is the only HC candidate that has enough offensive credibility to entice Smith to stay. I have no idea what Gruden thinks of the organization but he is one coach that could change the culture around here.

Rumors floating around that the Cleveland Browns are more enticing because of his relationship with Holmgren (re Gruden returning to head coaching).

Noway Gruden would want Smith back, he has seen how crappy Smith is already.

Gruden aint no fool.
Been following Smitty since his Utah days. He is a smart kid who stuck around, adjusted his contract, and tried to stay positive through everything. The way the fans have responded to him would and should drive him away. He will leave no matter what happens this year and will make another team as a second stringer until an opportunity arises to start again.

He may or may not turn into a servicable starting QB in this league, but it won't be in San Francisco, not after the way the fans have treated him. Too bad.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
A bone for the Alex detractors. This thread assumes that Alex proves that he is a top 15 QB. If the season were to end today, it would not take that much money to resign him (he would get multiple offers, though). Alex potentially can be top 15 (he has been before statistically), but he has an uphill climb at this point.

Personally, I think the 49er Front Office has done a poor job planning for the future. They could have signed Alex Smith to a reasonable 2 year deal this offseason, and ensured that he would remain with the team - IF they wanted him. As it stands now, if he does well, they are going to have to overpay to keep him on the team.

Staying to a one year deal only saves them money if he fails. And you shouldn't plan for your future expecting your starting QB to fail.
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
I dont think Alex would start for another team in the NFL. Lets face it our #2 had more success in this league and is very much considered a bum in the league and his drafted team waited way to long to get rid of, ala Harrington... Sounds familiar dont it

And people can see that Smith is the better player.

Thing that you aren't mentioning when you mention Harrington is that Harrington was stuck behind one of the worst Lines in the NFL and the Lions didn't help the guy out. Hmmmmm, maybe OLines ARE important...

I think Smith may get a Line in front of him that can protect him at some point and don't be surprised if he ends up in Minnesota next year. Childress could do pretty well for Smith if the Redskins don't go after him. Shannahan only has McNabb for another season, so that would give him time to groom Smith to be their future.

It's funny how everyone craps all over Smith yet can admit that we did the guy no favors.

I hate it, but I would laugh my ass off if Smith came back with a huge chip on his shoulder and PWNED us every time he played against us.

It's serve a lot of us right. You all know who you are.

~Ceadder

Why would the Vikings want a QB who has proven to be a liability on a good team. Jackson has had way more success than Smith and knows their players and system. But the Vikes will bring in Smith? We are not talking about Farve, we are talking about Smith?

Where is this good team you speak of? Maybe you're referring to utah???
First he has to play well enough to warrant being asked back , but I can think of several reason why he might balk. One would be the horrible play of the O-line , two would be the horrible conservative approach of his head coach towards the offense , and three would be the fan base. He probably would resign , he seems to be the loyal team guy sort.

Now the question is will he successful enough ??????
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by fryet:
A bone for the Alex detractors. This thread assumes that Alex proves that he is a top 15 QB. If the season were to end today, it would not take that much money to resign him (he would get multiple offers, though). Alex potentially can be top 15 (he has been before statistically), but he has an uphill climb at this point.

Personally, I think the 49er Front Office has done a poor job planning for the future. They could have signed Alex Smith to a reasonable 2 year deal this offseason, and ensured that he would remain with the team - IF they wanted him. As it stands now, if he does well, they are going to have to overpay to keep him on the team.

Staying to a one year deal only saves them money if he fails. And you shouldn't plan for your future expecting your starting QB to fail.

Resigning Alex Smith would cause the 49ers to lose much of its fanbase.

I really hope Smith doesn't sign again. Please prove me wrong somewhere else. I'm tired of waiting for a breakout season. Let's see...if he is as good as everyone says he is THEN he should win the next three games hands down no Alexcuses. I would love to see him to play in the AFC East. That is a very tuff division where QBs have little chance to show that they can win games.
Originally posted by susweel:

It would be good riddance in most cases.
Originally posted by kemp_j:
I believe he would resign if offered a new contract. Where would he go? He's been in SF his whole career. Winning the division plus making it to the playoff's would make this his most successful season ever, despite starting 0-5.

To make the playoffs after this start would mean that Alex Smith would have had one remarkable comeback. In that case, he would get a TON of offers including a BUNCH of money from multiple teams, including the 49ers.

Very true..... Smith strikes me as a guy thats comfortable where he is. If he is able to make a remarkalbe turnaround, then I see Jed selling the farm to keep him.......
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

It would be good riddance in most cases.

its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so it would matter

Thats the most retarded thing I've ever heard. If a guy turns the season around and leads this team to the playoffs after 0-5...Niner fans wouldn't want him??? Wow. We would make the case for being about as dumb as Raider fans. Too many Niner fans have emotionally invested in hating one guy (Smith) than looking at the bigger picture...that regardless of our QB situation..we still lose. Its been an organizational problem from day 1 and we were all duped into thinking all these revolutionary changes were going to happen because Jed was named "owner." It's the same ol sht with a slightly better smell.

Im not on the Smith bandwagon but if we go 8-2 or 9-1 here on out...we'd be fools to not at least extend an offer. Even if he resigns I'd want a SOLID QB incase Smith were to severely regress.
Share 49ersWebzone