There are 155 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season Alex Smith isn't getting re-signed. The team will have options to upgrade the QB position in the offseason and will get severely ridiculed in the media if it passes on those options in order to go into year 7 of the Alex Smith project.

This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense.

The offseason was spent surrounding Alex Smith with better talent; bringing back the same OC for consistency; and pumping up his confidence by singing him praises in the media about his new found swag and leadership abilities.

Despite that he has failed to lead the team. Most importantly he's failed himself in not playing well enough to secure a new contract with the team and to remain a starter in this league after this season.

When he goes I hope he takes the delusional cultists masking as Niner fans with him.

First of all, calling a sizeable percentage of Niner fans and members of this forum "delusional cultists" is offensive, unpleasant and inaccurate. Having a different opinion from you doesnt make others delusional. And claiming that such people are "masking as Niner fans" is an unpleasant and judgemental thing to say. As well as being completely wrong.

"This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense." This is total bull, a very arrogant claim without foundation.

To be charitable, I assume that you are either very young or trolling, or a PBM trying to cause trouble. Hopefully you will get warned for this post.

Regardless, there is clearly no point in discussing the team with you.

My point of contention with this thread is that it's based on the inference that Alex Smith would/should leave the team because he's been either mistreated or inadequetaly supported by the team.

It's part of a continued pattern of Alex Smith supporters who believe that his success as a player isn't based on his own abilities, but the ability of those around him. That is putting the fandom of the player before fandom of the team.

There is no objective argument that can be made that Alex Smith is worthy of a new contract, therefore his fans are delusional.

This is the NFL, Alex Smith will be judged on the standards of the league and compared to his peers.

Case in point, if an inconsistent 1st rd QB like Rex Grossman can get cut from his team despite leading them to 13-3 record and Super Bowl appearance; while having 7 games with a 100 + QB rating, one of them a perfect 148, then Alex Smith will be get the axe for not making the playoffs and playing inconsistent.

That's a reality and fact based observation.

Well said. Mind you, his supporters have been clamoring about his supporting cast's deficiencies since day 1. He has an all-pro RB and TE in his arsenal, not to mention an up and coming star in Crabtree. It's become quite comical, actually.

We need to get Alex a new stadium with no swirling winds. And there's that pesky thing about opposing NFL defenses. Other than that, we're close to getting Alex Smith the perfect conditions so he can finally excel.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
I dont think Alex would start for another team in the NFL. Lets face it our #2 had more success in this league and is very much considered a bum in the league and his drafted team waited way to long to get rid of, ala Harrington... Sounds familiar dont it

And people can see that Smith is the better player.

Thing that you aren't mentioning when you mention Harrington is that Harrington was stuck behind one of the worst Lines in the NFL and the Lions didn't help the guy out. Hmmmmm, maybe OLines ARE important...



I think Smith may get a Line in front of him that can protect him at some point and don't be surprised if he ends up in Minnesota next year. Childress could do pretty well for Smith if the Redskins don't go after him. Shannahan only has McNabb for another season, so that would give him time to groom Smith to be their future.

It's funny how everyone craps all over Smith yet can admit that we did the guy no favors.

I hate it, but I would laugh my ass off if Smith came back with a huge chip on his shoulder and PWNED us every time he played against us.

It's serve a lot of us right. You all know who you are.

~Ceadder

Yet if the opposite were true, and Smith ends up working in a cubicle somewhere, you'll be the first to come to his defense and say that we ruined him by making him face all those OC's during his years here, and how the poor play of the oline shattered his confidence, and how he took too many hits to recover.

Pathetic....

Wow Smith really musta had a good lawyer. That would explain the bitterness.

It's okay ZRF80 really. Even in California the alimony only lasts a couple years at most.

~Ceadder
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,666
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
I think two things have to happen for him to resign: 1) Singletary gets fired, 2) He doesn't get an offer from a legitimate playoff caliber team running the same offense.

To what play-off caliber team would Alex Smith be an upgrade?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Yes, especially if Jon Gruden is named head coach. Gruden really likes Smith's tools, and is just the type of guy who could raise his game to another level. I think Smith would be thrilled to have Gruden take over, especially on a team that has a fair amount of talent.

The Niners are not far from making a major playoff run. They simply need someone who knows what they are doing to take over.

Thank you. That is the only HC candidate that has enough offensive credibility to entice Smith to stay. I have no idea what Gruden thinks of the organization but he is one coach that could change the culture around here.
Of course he would. You know he wants to prove all those folks in the stands wrong. The kid has no quit in him!
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season Alex Smith isn't getting re-signed. The team will have options to upgrade the QB position in the offseason and will get severely ridiculed in the media if it passes on those options in order to go into year 7 of the Alex Smith project.

This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense.

The offseason was spent surrounding Alex Smith with better talent; bringing back the same OC for consistency; and pumping up his confidence by singing him praises in the media about his new found swag and leadership abilities.

Despite that he has failed to lead the team. Most importantly he's failed himself in not playing well enough to secure a new contract with the team and to remain a starter in this league after this season.

When he goes I hope he takes the delusional cultists masking as Niner fans with him.

First of all, calling a sizeable percentage of Niner fans and members of this forum "delusional cultists" is offensive, unpleasant and inaccurate. Having a different opinion from you doesnt make others delusional. And claiming that such people are "masking as Niner fans" is an unpleasant and judgemental thing to say. As well as being completely wrong.

"This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense." This is total bull, a very arrogant claim without foundation.

To be charitable, I assume that you are either very young or trolling, or a PBM trying to cause trouble. Hopefully you will get warned for this post.

Regardless, there is clearly no point in discussing the team with you.

My point of contention with this thread is that it's based on the inference that Alex Smith would/should leave the team because he's been either mistreated or inadequetaly supported by the team.

It's part of a continued pattern of Alex Smith supporters who believe that his success as a player isn't based on his own abilities, but the ability of those around him. That is putting the fandom of the player before fandom of the team.

There is no objective argument that can be made that Alex Smith is worthy of a new contract, therefore his fans are delusional.

This is the NFL, Alex Smith will be judged on the standards of the league and compared to his peers.

Case in point, if an inconsistent 1st rd QB like Rex Grossman can get cut from his team despite leading them to 13-3 record and Super Bowl appearance; while having 7 games with a 100 + QB rating, one of them a perfect 148, then Alex Smith will be get the axe for not making the playoffs and playing inconsistent.

That's a reality and fact based observation.

And my point is that you lowered the discussion on football down to a personal attack on a group of other posters. But you knew that, and avoided the point in your response.

Yes I did make a personal attack. I loathe all Alex Smith supporters. He's a player who is mainly responsible for the teams return to relevance, to continue to support him is to disparage the legacy of great QBing this franchise has had.

You accuse me of being young to which I find ironic, for that means that you are old enough to have seen Montana play. Aren't you aware that Montana is considered the greatest and that was due to him coming through in clutch situations, making comebacks and making plays when his line couldn't hold up?

Alex Smith is a posuer and his supporters are morons.
Your screen name fits you well.
  • ZRF80
  • Member
  • Posts: 13,551
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
I dont think Alex would start for another team in the NFL. Lets face it our #2 had more success in this league and is very much considered a bum in the league and his drafted team waited way to long to get rid of, ala Harrington... Sounds familiar dont it

And people can see that Smith is the better player.

Thing that you aren't mentioning when you mention Harrington is that Harrington was stuck behind one of the worst Lines in the NFL and the Lions didn't help the guy out. Hmmmmm, maybe OLines ARE important...



I think Smith may get a Line in front of him that can protect him at some point and don't be surprised if he ends up in Minnesota next year. Childress could do pretty well for Smith if the Redskins don't go after him. Shannahan only has McNabb for another season, so that would give him time to groom Smith to be their future.

It's funny how everyone craps all over Smith yet can admit that we did the guy no favors.

I hate it, but I would laugh my ass off if Smith came back with a huge chip on his shoulder and PWNED us every time he played against us.

It's serve a lot of us right. You all know who you are.

~Ceadder

Yet if the opposite were true, and Smith ends up working in a cubicle somewhere, you'll be the first to come to his defense and say that we ruined him by making him face all those OC's during his years here, and how the poor play of the oline shattered his confidence, and how he took too many hits to recover.

Pathetic....

Wow Smith really musta had a good lawyer. That would explain the bitterness.

It's okay ZRF80 really. Even in California the alimony only lasts a couple years at most.

~Ceadder

Just pointing out the hypocrisy of your posts.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Of course he would. You know he wants to prove all those folks in the stands wrong. The kid has no quit in him!

I actually wish he had some quit in him.
I believe he would resign if offered a new contract. Where would he go? He's been in SF his whole career. Winning the division plus making it to the playoff's would make this his most successful season ever, despite starting 0-5.
this thread.



Originally posted by kemp_j:
I believe he would resign if offered a new contract. Where would he go? He's been in SF his whole career. Winning the division plus making it to the playoff's would make this his most successful season ever, despite starting 0-5.

To make the playoffs after this start would mean that Alex Smith would have had one remarkable comeback. In that case, he would get a TON of offers including a BUNCH of money from multiple teams, including the 49ers.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Of course he would. You know he wants to prove all those folks in the stands wrong. The kid has no quit in him!

If he drastically improves i would like to see him back.
Originally posted by susweel:

Where is Nedney in this picture? It looks like the ball is spotted perfectly for a field goal try.
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Of course he would. You know he wants to prove all those folks in the stands wrong. The kid has no quit in him!

If he drastically improves i would like to see him back.

You gotta a better chance at finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow then you do of Alex drastically improving.