LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by susweel:
f**k that bust.

Pssst. Honestly. Between you and me. If Alex had gone to the Packers in 2005, you think he'd be the new Super Bowl MVP right now? Come on, be honsest.

There is no way you can know that for certain. When the overwhelming majority of NFL scouts, including Mike McCarthy, agreed that Alex Smith had greater potential than Aaron Rodgers, the focus of the attention should be on the environment in which they wound up. We have all had a chance to closely examine the difference between the two and it is obvious that while Rodgers had absolutely ideal conditions in which to develop, Smith had the exact opposite. The comparison is a case study in how two very similar athletes wound up in opposite circumstances with opposite results.

Except one of them is clearly better. It's not all situation. Aaron is better than Alex Smith, no matter where they end up in that draft.
Now yes, Rodgers is better, however, that is just the point. The circumstances could not have been more opposite. To exclude that as the starting and ending point in the discussion is not reasonable.

In his first two pre-seasons in Green Bay, Rodgers stunk up the place. Fans were calling the FO idiots. The guy was not good. Still, McCarthy was patient and continued working with him on his accuracy and reading defenses and we now see the results.

Truth.

The Packer's Front Office was so confident in Rodgers abilities that in the draft before his first career start they selected Brian Brohm in the second round and Matt Flynn in the seventh. Not one, but two quarterbacks... that's confidence!

I'm happy for Rodgers, personally. I think he earned his respect and deserved his success.

I hope we renew our playoff rivalry with the Packers quickly. It almost seems like destiny....

How does the fact that they didn't know he was going to be any good change anything? There's absolutely zero relevance. It just shows that everyone was wrong about him and Alex Smith.

People act as if Alex Smith had nobody to help him...he had Mike McCarthy and Norv Turner in his first two years for f**ks sake.

Nobody is saying that Aaron Rodgers would be Super Bowl MVP if he were on our team...but he'd still be a damn good QB and I'm positive we'd have been in the playoffs some time in the past 6 years.

What has Alex shown anyone (natural talent wise) that leads them to believe he'd have any measure of success if he were drafted by the Packers? It's not like Favre was a good mentor...in fact it's well documented that he went out of his way to not help Rodgers' development.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
f**k that bust.

Pssst. Honestly. Between you and me. If Alex had gone to the Packers in 2005, you think he'd be the new Super Bowl MVP right now? Come on, be honsest.

There is no way you can know that for certain. When the overwhelming majority of NFL scouts, including Mike McCarthy, agreed that Alex Smith had greater potential than Aaron Rodgers, the focus of the attention should be on the environment in which they wound up. We have all had a chance to closely examine the difference between the two and it is obvious that while Rodgers had absolutely ideal conditions in which to develop, Smith had the exact opposite. The comparison is a case study in how two very similar athletes wound up in opposite circumstances with opposite results.

Except one of them is clearly better. It's not all situation. Aaron is better than Alex Smith, no matter where they end up in that draft.
Now yes, Rodgers is better, however, that is just the point. The circumstances could not have been more opposite. To exclude that as the starting and ending point in the discussion is not reasonable.

In his first two pre-seasons in Green Bay, Rodgers stunk up the place. Fans were calling the FO idiots. The guy was not good. Still, McCarthy was patient and continued working with him on his accuracy and reading defenses and we now see the results.

Truth.

The Packer's Front Office was so confident in Rodgers abilities that in the draft before his first career start they selected Brian Brohm in the second round and Matt Flynn in the seventh. Not one, but two quarterbacks... that's confidence!

I'm happy for Rodgers, personally. I think he earned his respect and deserved his success.

I hope we renew our playoff rivalry with the Packers quickly. It almost seems like destiny....

How does the fact that they didn't know he was going to be any good change anything? There's absolutely zero relevance. It just shows that everyone was wrong about him and Alex Smith.

People act as if Alex Smith had nobody to help him...he had Mike McCarthy and Norv Turner in his first two years for f**ks sake.

Nobody is saying that Aaron Rodgers would be Super Bowl MVP if he were on our team...but he'd still be a damn good QB and I'm positive we'd have been in the playoffs some time in the past 6 years.

What has Alex shown anyone (natural talent wise) that leads them to believe he'd have any measure of success if he were drafted by the Packers? It's not like Favre was a good mentor...in fact it's well documented that he went out of his way to not help Rodgers' development.

Favre helped Rodgers alot by never showing up for the offseason. Rodgers got all the reps and then when the season started Brett took over. Rodgers did not even sit back and watch during training. He learned the offence and had all the confidence in the world when he finally took over
Would Alex even fit Harbaughs offense?

Harbaugh isnt a shot-gun spread type of guy and Alex seems to do well in that type of offense.

If we are indeed going to a more west coast oriented offense, we need a qb that can complete short passes accurately. Alex has not shown he can do that on a consistent basis.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Leathaface:
f**k that bust.

Truth.

The only point in discussion, IMO, is the importance of a consistent environment in the development of a player.

Yes, Alex had one year with Mike McCarthy but the rest of the supporting cast was so bad is was considered inferior to the first year expansion team at Houston. The year with Turner was better though little improvement in pass support.

Rodgers, by contrast, has been in a textbook situation with Green Bay his entire career. As to Favre's impact on Rodgers; he doesn't have to help him through the play book. Just watching him on the field and seeing how he handled certain situations was a great help. I posted in another thread how Steve Young was benefitted by watching Montana play, and we all know that there was no love shared between those two.

As to getting into the playoffs if Rodgers was here...just go watch some film of the Green Bay receivers reading defenses and running routes, and then compare that to Josh "Alligator Arms" Morgan or Michael "I am afraid to go over the middle" Crabtree or Vernon "don't ask me to read defenses" Davis. It is well-chronicled that it was not until this past season that Rodgers really began to trust his receivers and make throws. Prior to this past year, he was holding the ball and waiting until he was sure the receiver would be where he was supposed to be AND open before he threw the ball. That fact was a major reason he was sacked/hit so often and why he gained so many yards rushing. He wasn't sure of his receivers so he either took the sack or took off running. All part of the history.
it would take a lot of convincing from Harbaugh for him to re-sign. I'd much rather have him than Carr if those are our only options.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
it would take a lot of convincing from Harbaugh for him to re-sign. I'd much rather have him than Carr if those are our only options.

Really hope Carr is replaced by a rookie this year, but I think Carr is gonna get some good support by Greg Roman.
I don't think he has a passion for the game. And I wonder if his teammates even respect him, besides vernon. Look at how the team gravitated toward troy so quickly. I think both sides need to move on.

agreed.

I think there will be a lot of teams who talk to Smith, but all will be for backup roles. Maybe when he sees that he has no shot at starting anywhere, he runs to Jim.

I would take it if that was our only option, especially over Carr.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

agreed.

I think there will be a lot of teams who talk to Smith, but all will be for backup roles. Maybe when he sees that he has no shot at starting anywhere, he runs to Jim.

Him or Carr its all the same.
  • dj43

agreed.

Does the fact that you live in the "most miserable city in the US" have an impact on your view of the 49er QB situation?

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Would Alex even fit Harbaughs offense?

Harbaugh isnt a shot-gun spread type of guy and Alex seems to do well in that type of offense.

If we are indeed going to a more west coast oriented offense, we need a qb that can complete short passes accurately. Alex has not shown he can do that on a consistent basis.

I agree. My personal belief is that it is just Harbaugh being political and simply providing Smith advice on the next stage of his career (which I don't think will be with us).

I don't know how Smith fits into the WCO, but it just seems odd. Smith has traditionally excelled in a vertical, spread offense, not in timing offenses.

-9fA
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

agreed.

Does the fact that you live in the "most miserable city in the US" have an impact on your view of the 49er QB situation?

yah Im miserable
  • dj43

agreed.

yah Im miserable
j/k I was reading the Forbes report on the most miserable cities in the US and knew you were from Stockton. Couldn't pass up the chance.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

agreed.

yah Im miserable
j/k I was reading the Forbes report on the most miserable cities in the US and knew you were from Stockton. Couldn't pass up the chance.

Its all good man, I also had read that list a couple of days ago. I personally disagree with it because they focus on the financial situation and property values. Stockton may not be the best place to live but I'd rather live here then some cold wretched place like Detroit or some backward hick town in the south.
  • dj43

agreed.

yah Im miserable

Its all good man, I also had read that list a couple of days ago. I personally disagree with it because they focus on the financial situation and property values. Stockton may not be the best place to live but I'd rather live here then some cold wretched place like Detroit or some backward hick town in the south.
Actually they have done a decent job with the area along the waterfront and some of the downtown area. The northwest side has some very nice areas. Then there is still south Stockton and east of 99 - some bad gang stuff over there.
Share 49ersWebzone