LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Some people have this false illusion that other team management would be lining out the door wanting to sign this guy!

Good Luck on that!

Uh I don't think anyone said or implied that teams would be "lining" up for Smith. People are discussing possible landing spots for him...I.E teams where he could at least compete and teams who use an offensive scheme that caters to his strength.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that another team can get more out of Alex than we can. Just imagine if a guy like Sean Peyton was coach. You think we'd be 1-5 with the same guys? I doubt it. Obviously not 6-0..but at least 3-3.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Alex Smith's next employer.

Originally posted by susweel:

susweel's next account: TBA

Smith v. Culpepper battle it out to QB the Sacramento Mountain Lions
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Your the one at 90% so I think you should be more concerned about your next account.

[ Edited by susweel on Oct 23, 2010 at 16:58:08 ]

Your the one 90% so I think you should be more concerned about your account.

So? No one will care if I get banned. Half the people on this site can't stand you.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

So? No one will care if I get banned. Half the people on this site can't stand you.

Thats not true, they all love me.

Thats not true, they all love me.

• fly15
  • Veteran

Originally posted by fly15:

Oh yeah that includes fly too

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Some people have this false illusion that other team management would be lining out the door wanting to sign this guy!

Good Luck on that!

Uh I don't think anyone said or implied that teams would be "lining" up for Smith. People are discussing possible landing spots for him...I.E teams where he could at least compete and teams who use an offensive scheme that caters to his strength.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that another team can get more out of Alex than we can. Just imagine if a guy like Sean Peyton was coach. You think we'd be 1-5 with the same guys? I doubt it. Obviously not 6-0..but at least 3-3.

This makes no sense...what are his strengths?? This is not a complicated offense, what makes you think he's going to succeed anywhere? We implemented roll outs for him, we have shotgun spread formations, we give him great safety nets in Gore and Vernon Davis. What do you think is going to magically happen in another system thats going to suddenly teach him to be accurate? Look at his demeanor out there, he still looks like he hasn't even become a man yet, much less a leader. His pocket awareness while improved is still awful compared to the rest of the league. Jason Campbell couldn't throw worth a damn last Sunday, but the way he was stepping up in the pocket, and side stepping our rushes (except for that one ill advised pass/fumble) made me wonder why we even call Alex a mobile qb.
Dont let your bitterness and perceived disappointment in this current coaching staff for one minute make you forget how bad Alex has been for six years.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by wzbannedit:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
No way Alex resigns with this team if Singletary is still the HC.

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

It was/is Singletary's fault that the team has lost 3 games by 3 points or less
Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

~Ceadder

This might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. C'mon man.

Do tell. I'm interested to see how this is dumber than anything you post.

~Ceadder

Rivers is done in San Diego? lol, that's their franchise QB.
I would like to hear from those who live in San Diego area. There seems to be a sentiment down there that the chemistry between Rivers and his teammates has gone sour. He is very out-spoken, to the point that some teammates have turned him off.

The point is that there is no way anyone (sports analyst, fan, etc.) could justify an "upgrade" for Smith over Rivers. Rivers has a proven track record. He's taken his team to the playoffs, not to mention bring them into playoff contention during a losing season. Those things alone make him better than Smith, even if you're a Smith supporter.

Agreed. Rivers is the guy in San Diego. It's delusional to think Rivers is "out" and Smith could be "in." That's just ridiculous.

And yet, it will happen. AJ Smith is already showing that he's not above cutting high priced players who do not perform.

And what people CONSISTENTLY blow off is that Norv and Alex have a good working relationship and both have continued their friendship long after Norv bolted on us.

Also if Smith doesn't want to be part of this crap team you think that Rivers would want to end up here?

Rivers is looked at as > Eli Manning. Yet Manning has a ring and Rivers don't.

And Rivers has had continuity all through his Offense. Smith has not. I'm not being a homer here. I think that it is perfectly reasonable that Smith could end up in San Diego and take over there.

I mean how many of you older guys who witnessed us having Plunkett during the Thomas era, would ever have thought Plunkett would be a multiple ring holder?

Not one of you. Be honest. Not a bloomin one of you. He left and went to Oakland, lo and he has a copuple Lombardis to his credit.

So stop talkin out your asses people, you have no frigging clue about the future. Nor do I. I just don't live in the closed minded area anymore, and choose to look at the big picture.

To state unequivicably that Rivers is > Smith is pure blatherscype.

Especially when you know ALL the issues involved with this pathetic team.

I find it even funnier that some people here say that we who support Smith should kick him to the curb because your ignorant opinion matters more. Take that crap and shove it in your laundry hamper cause that opinion smells like a big turd and needs to be cleaned up.

Take your attitudes and kick rocks. If you won't root for Smith then you do not root for the team and to me that says everything I need to know about you as fans. Because while you may not be impressed with Smith or hate him or are tired of the "project", you still have to support the team in it's effort to Win. If you don't get that now you will NEVER get it.

~Ceadder

PS. I still have not seen ONE person state with supporting facts that Rivers is a permanent fixture in San Diego and that Smith couldn't POSSIBLY replace him.

Still waiting I might add.

How about the overlooked facts that A.J. Smith calls the shots in San Diego, so a prior relationship with Norv Turner (whose on the hot seat himself) wouldn't have any bearing.

Most importantly Rivers is in the second year of a 6 yr $92 million $38 million guaranteed contract.

Rivers is currently leading the league in yardage (Alex Smith ranks 10th), tied for 2nd in TDs and has the 3rd highest QB rating. He's done this without his #1 WR, LT, and sacked more times to Alex Smith.

The facts speak for themselves.

Stats dont matter to Ceadder. Smith has "potential" and that alone makes him a HOFer.

Ceadder and I usually see eye-to-eye, but this has got to be one of the biggest reaches I've ever read on this site.

It makes absolutely, positively NO SENSE to replace Phillip Rivers with Alex Smith. It is not logical or likely. It's a joke of a hypothetical.
Originally posted by wzbannedit:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
No way Alex resigns with this team if Singletary is still the HC.

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

It was/is Singletary's fault that the team has lost 3 games by 3 points or less
Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

~Ceadder

This might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. C'mon man.

Do tell. I'm interested to see how this is dumber than anything you post.

~Ceadder

Rivers is done in San Diego? lol, that's their franchise QB.
I would like to hear from those who live in San Diego area. There seems to be a sentiment down there that the chemistry between Rivers and his teammates has gone sour. He is very out-spoken, to the point that some teammates have turned him off.

The point is that there is no way anyone (sports analyst, fan, etc.) could justify an "upgrade" for Smith over Rivers. Rivers has a proven track record. He's taken his team to the playoffs, not to mention bring them into playoff contention during a losing season. Those things alone make him better than Smith, even if you're a Smith supporter.

Agreed. Rivers is the guy in San Diego. It's delusional to think Rivers is "out" and Smith could be "in." That's just ridiculous.

And yet, it will happen. AJ Smith is already showing that he's not above cutting high priced players who do not perform.

And what people CONSISTENTLY blow off is that Norv and Alex have a good working relationship and both have continued their friendship long after Norv bolted on us.

Also if Smith doesn't want to be part of this crap team you think that Rivers would want to end up here?

Rivers is looked at as > Eli Manning. Yet Manning has a ring and Rivers don't.

And Rivers has had continuity all through his Offense. Smith has not. I'm not being a homer here. I think that it is perfectly reasonable that Smith could end up in San Diego and take over there.

I mean how many of you older guys who witnessed us having Plunkett during the Thomas era, would ever have thought Plunkett would be a multiple ring holder?

Not one of you. Be honest. Not a bloomin one of you. He left and went to Oakland, lo and he has a copuple Lombardis to his credit.

So stop talkin out your asses people, you have no frigging clue about the future. Nor do I. I just don't live in the closed minded area anymore, and choose to look at the big picture.

To state unequivicably that Rivers is > Smith is pure blatherscype.

Especially when you know ALL the issues involved with this pathetic team.

I find it even funnier that some people here say that we who support Smith should kick him to the curb because your ignorant opinion matters more. Take that crap and shove it in your laundry hamper cause that opinion smells like a big turd and needs to be cleaned up.

Take your attitudes and kick rocks. If you won't root for Smith then you do not root for the team and to me that says everything I need to know about you as fans. Because while you may not be impressed with Smith or hate him or are tired of the "project", you still have to support the team in it's effort to Win. If you don't get that now you will NEVER get it.

~Ceadder

PS. I still have not seen ONE person state with supporting facts that Rivers is a permanent fixture in San Diego and that Smith couldn't POSSIBLY replace him.

Still waiting I might add.

How about the overlooked facts that A.J. Smith calls the shots in San Diego, so a prior relationship with Norv Turner (whose on the hot seat himself) wouldn't have any bearing.

Most importantly Rivers is in the second year of a 6 yr $92 million $38 million guaranteed contract.

Rivers is currently leading the league in yardage (Alex Smith ranks 10th), tied for 2nd in TDs and has the 3rd highest QB rating. He's done this without his #1 WR, LT, and sacked more times to Alex Smith.

The facts speak for themselves.

Stats dont matter to Ceadder. Smith has "potential" and that alone makes him a HOFer.

Ceadder and I usually see eye-to-eye, but this has got to be one of the biggest reaches I've ever read on this site.

It makes absolutely, positively NO SENSE to replace Phillip Rivers with Alex Smith. It is not logical or likely. It's a joke of a hypothetical.

THIS! Replacing Phillip Rivers with Alex Smith has to be the biggest laugh of the season to date. Not EVER gonna happen!

Philip Rivers was able to bring the Chargers back from being 17 points down against the Pats and hadn't it been for a missed field goal would have tied the game.

Rivers has had quite a few LAST minute heroics, how many has Alex Smith?

If you did a poll which of the two QB would all the HC's want in the last minute of each ball game, who do you think would come out on top?

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Oct 24, 2010 at 16:48:19 ]
Hmm. Well. I guess if Harbaugh really sells him on it.

Its sad that I think Alex is one of the best FA options out there to serve as a "temp" until next year when we will grab Luck. Sad but true.
Originally posted by fly15:

Oh yeah that includes fly too

Share 49ersWebzone