LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Shop 49ers game tickets
Wait since when is Smith who has 0 winning seasons 0 pro bowls and these stats

TD-INT 45-52
Passing yards 8,454
QB Rating 70.0

better than Rivers who has 2 prow bowls and has won since he came into the league and has these stats?

TD-INT 118-50
Passing yards 16,959
QB Rating 96.4
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

TD-INT 45-52
Passing yards 8,454
QB Rating 70.0

better than Rivers who has 2 prow bowls and has won since he came into the league and has these stats?

TD-INT 118-50
Passing yards 16,959
QB Rating 96.4

Smith is much better then Rivers because Smith is a nice person and Rivers is a fierce competitor who is cocky.
Originally posted by susweel:

TD-INT 45-52
Passing yards 8,454
QB Rating 70.0

TD-INT 118-50
Passing yards 16,959
QB Rating 96.4

Smith is much better then Rivers because Smith is a nice person and Rivers is a fierce competitor who is cocky.

Smith is obviously a huge part of your life and thoughts, as you spend all day talking about him. Something we should know, sweetie?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by oldman9er:

TD-INT 45-52
Passing yards 8,454
QB Rating 70.0

TD-INT 118-50
Passing yards 16,959
QB Rating 96.4

Smith is obviously a huge part of your life and thoughts, as you spend all day talking about him. Something we should know, sweetie?

He kicked my dog.
  • dj43
Originally posted by oldman9er:

TD-INT 45-52
Passing yards 8,454
QB Rating 70.0

TD-INT 118-50
Passing yards 16,959
QB Rating 96.4

He kicked my dog.
Never bet on an underdog.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
No way Alex resigns with this team if Singletary is still the HC.

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

It was/is Singletary's fault that the team has lost 3 games by 3 points or less
Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

~Ceadder

This might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. C'mon man.

Do tell. I'm interested to see how this is dumber than anything you post.

~Ceadder

Rivers is done in San Diego? lol, that's their franchise QB.
I would like to hear from those who live in San Diego area. There seems to be a sentiment down there that the chemistry between Rivers and his teammates has gone sour. He is very out-spoken, to the point that some teammates have turned him off.

The point is that there is no way anyone (sports analyst, fan, etc.) could justify an "upgrade" for Smith over Rivers. Rivers has a proven track record. He's taken his team to the playoffs, not to mention bring them into playoff contention during a losing season. Those things alone make him better than Smith, even if you're a Smith supporter.

Agreed. Rivers is the guy in San Diego. It's delusional to think Rivers is "out" and Smith could be "in." That's just ridiculous.

And yet, it will happen. AJ Smith is already showing that he's not above cutting high priced players who do not perform.

And what people CONSISTENTLY blow off is that Norv and Alex have a good working relationship and both have continued their friendship long after Norv bolted on us.

Also if Smith doesn't want to be part of this crap team you think that Rivers would want to end up here?

Rivers is looked at as > Eli Manning. Yet Manning has a ring and Rivers don't.

And Rivers has had continuity all through his Offense. Smith has not. I'm not being a homer here. I think that it is perfectly reasonable that Smith could end up in San Diego and take over there.

I mean how many of you older guys who witnessed us having Plunkett during the Thomas era, would ever have thought Plunkett would be a multiple ring holder?

Not one of you. Be honest. Not a bloomin one of you. He left and went to Oakland, lo and he has a copuple Lombardis to his credit.

So stop talkin out your asses people, you have no frigging clue about the future. Nor do I. I just don't live in the closed minded area anymore, and choose to look at the big picture.

To state unequivicably that Rivers is > Smith is pure blatherscype.

Especially when you know ALL the issues involved with this pathetic team.

I find it even funnier that some people here say that we who support Smith should kick him to the curb because your ignorant opinion matters more. Take that crap and shove it in your laundry hamper cause that opinion smells like a big turd and needs to be cleaned up.

Take your attitudes and kick rocks. If you won't root for Smith then you do not root for the team and to me that says everything I need to know about you as fans. Because while you may not be impressed with Smith or hate him or are tired of the "project", you still have to support the team in it's effort to Win. If you don't get that now you will NEVER get it.

~Ceadder

PS. I still have not seen ONE person state with supporting facts that Rivers is a permanent fixture in San Diego and that Smith couldn't POSSIBLY replace him.

Still waiting I might add.

You honestly think San Diego's going to take Norv Turner over Phillip Rivers.

I know, I know Phillip Rivers chokes in playoff games. I guess the only thing you can do is stick with a coach whose choked in every playoff game everywhere he went and bring in a quarterback whose never came near a playoff game.

Yeah that sounds alot better than building around a QB whose averaged a 100 rating the past 2.5 years.

You got it all wrong man. Norv Turner's @ss is on the line not Phillip Rivers.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Here’s a quick list of teams Smith could be on next year…

START RIGHT AWAY
Arizona – Their QB situation is weak. They run a pretty versatile offense and I’m sure Alex wouldn’t mind throwing to Fitz.
Oakland – I’m sure all of us would get a shot in Oakland.

COMPETE FOR STARTING JOB
Cleveland – Desperate for a QB.
Minnesota – LOT of weapons. They love throwing the ball.
Cincinnati – Palmer is usually solid but he’s just not getting it done. Smith could at least compete.
Kansas City – Outside shot but I don’t think Smith is LESS talented than Cassell. You could argue Smith is just a mobile version of him if anything.
Tampa Bay – Freeman is solid. If the Bucs cant put together a winning season, it wouldn’t hurt for them to have someone compete with Josh.
Buffalo – Shaky QB situation. Smith could def compete.

BACK UP WITH POTENTIAL TO START
Seattle – Probably sit for a year if Hasslebeck stays but he could start 2012 or sooner if Matt gets injured.
Washington – McNabb isn’t getting younger. Smith could sit and learn for a year.
Dallas - Romo is falling out of favor with fans. He’d have a LONG outside shot of starting but he’d be a solid back up to Romo and could provide a spark if Romo doesn’t get it done. Very long shot though.

STRICTLY BACK UP
Indy – Watch and learn in an ideal offense and learn from the elite.
New England – See above.
Add Jacksonville in the "competing" category. David Garrard is as "streaky" as Smith.

Oh yeah def true. Their QB situation has been shaky. Smith could def compete and start mid season when their fans are tired of Garrard.

If our fans will chant for Carr, I'm sure other fans will chant for some back up looking for a chance like Smith.
  • dj43

START RIGHT AWAY
Arizona – Their QB situation is weak. They run a pretty versatile offense and I’m sure Alex wouldn’t mind throwing to Fitz.

COMPETE FOR STARTING JOB
Cincinnati – Palmer is usually solid but he’s just not getting it done. Smith could at least compete.
Kansas City – Outside shot but I don’t think Smith is LESS talented than Cassell. You could argue Smith is just a mobile version of him if anything.
Tampa Bay – Freeman is solid. If the Bucs cant put together a winning season, it wouldn’t hurt for them to have someone compete with Josh.

Seattle – Probably sit for a year if Hasslebeck stays but he could start 2012 or sooner if Matt gets injured.
Washington – McNabb isn’t getting younger. Smith could sit and learn for a year.
Dallas - Romo is falling out of favor with fans. He’d have a LONG outside shot of starting but he’d be a solid back up to Romo and could provide a spark if Romo doesn’t get it done. Very long shot though.

STRICTLY BACK UP
New England – See above.
Add Jacksonville in the "competing" category. David Garrard is as "streaky" as Smith.

Oh yeah def true. Their QB situation has been shaky. Smith could def compete and start mid season when their fans are tired of Garrard.

If our fans will chant for Carr, I'm sure other fans will chant for some back up looking for a chance like Smith.
So if all us here in the 'zone can see the opportunities for Smith with other teams, you can bet his agent is already waiting with a bunch of numbers on speed dial. Their frequent flyer miles will zoom up in a hurry. Smith will be signed not later than the week after Super Bowl.

START RIGHT AWAY

COMPETE FOR STARTING JOB

STRICTLY BACK UP
New England – See above.

So if all us here in the 'zone can see the opportunities for Smith with other teams, you can bet his agent is already waiting with a bunch of numbers on speed dial. Their frequent flyer miles will zoom up in a hurry. Smith will be signed not later than the week after Super Bowl.

I think Smith would start right away in Buffalo, and compete for the job in Carolina. Its possible he would compete in Miami depending on how Henne does this year.

And, honestly, outside of Philadelphia, I can't think of another team that has TWO Qb's that would beat Smith out. What I mean is, on just about every team in the league he could be at least the #2.

[ Edited by HessianDud on Oct 22, 2010 at 17:45:39 ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Yes.

His heart is in San Francisco.

I don't think he would, to be honest. Poor guy has been f**king dogged since he signed here... why would you wanna stay? If I were him I'd wanna sign with a team within the division and come into SF and try to beat their ass twice a year. But hey, that's just me.

And I hate to say it -- but with a competent coaching staff and the right system, I bet he would light our secondary up. I bet he lands in Minnesota next year.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I don't think he would, to be honest. Poor guy has been f**king dogged since he signed here... why would you wanna stay? If I were him I'd wanna sign with a team within the division and come into SF and try to beat their ass twice a year. But hey, that's just me.

And I hate to say it -- but with a competent coaching staff and the right system, I bet he would light our secondary up. I bet he lands in Minnesota next year.

I'm thinking he lands in Minnesota as well. Sad thing is I think if he lands there he actually shows why he was a #1
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

I'm thinking he lands in Minnesota as well. Sad thing is I think if he lands there he actually shows why he was a #1

Minn. is all WCO though, but they are loaded with talent. Arizona is a digit system isn't it? Whisenhunt knows what he's doing, and I'm sure Alex would love to play us twice a year.
And yet, it will happen. AJ Smith is already showing that he's not above cutting high priced players who do not perform.

And what people CONSISTENTLY blow off is that Norv and Alex have a good working relationship and both have continued their friendship long after Norv bolted on us.

Also if Smith doesn't want to be part of this crap team you think that Rivers would want to end up here?

Rivers is looked at as > Eli Manning. Yet Manning has a ring and Rivers don't.

And Rivers has had continuity all through his Offense. Smith has not. I'm not being a homer here. I think that it is perfectly reasonable that Smith could end up in San Diego and take over there.

I mean how many of you older guys who witnessed us having Plunkett during the Thomas era, would ever have thought Plunkett would be a multiple ring holder?

Not one of you. Be honest. Not a bloomin one of you. He left and went to Oakland, lo and he has a copuple Lombardis to his credit.

So stop talkin out your asses people, you have no frigging clue about the future. Nor do I. I just don't live in the closed minded area anymore, and choose to look at the big picture.

To state unequivicably that Rivers is > Smith is pure blatherscype.

Especially when you know ALL the issues involved with this pathetic team.

I find it even funnier that some people here say that we who support Smith should kick him to the curb because your ignorant opinion matters more. Take that crap and shove it in your laundry hamper cause that opinion smells like a big turd and needs to be cleaned up.

Take your attitudes and kick rocks. If you won't root for Smith then you do not root for the team and to me that says everything I need to know about you as fans. Because while you may not be impressed with Smith or hate him or are tired of the "project", you still have to support the team in it's effort to Win. If you don't get that now you will NEVER get it.

~Ceadder

PS. I still have not seen ONE person state with supporting facts that Rivers is a permanent fixture in San Diego and that Smith couldn't POSSIBLY replace him.

Still waiting I might add.

^Quoted for Insanity
I dont think he would be that hard to replace.
Share 49ersWebzone