LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Alex Smith will be happy to be employed at all.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Alex Smith will be happy to be employed at all.
Im worried that he DOESN'T get any other offers. This guy is such a load that if he does come back there is no way in hell I renew my season tickets. 5 years of this POS is more than I can handle.
Originally posted by payupsucka:
Im worried that he DOESN'T get any other offers. This guy is such a load that if he does come back there is no way in hell I renew my season tickets. 5 years of this POS is more than I can handle.

i won't give up my tickets, i still enjoy the environment, excitement, and i honestly love driving up 101 and seeing the Stick..gives me chills
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by SY9er8:
If the niners get Gruden Alex would resign!

Gruden wouldnt even give Smith a chance.

Alex's reign here is ova'........

I disagree re: Gruden. Gruden was high on Smith coming out, and I have never heard that his position has changed. If Gruden comes in, Smith is more likely to stay than if, e.g., Cowher came in, IMO.

I DO agree with what you posted above re: Rivers. Rivers > Smith by a country mile. Even though dude is a douche.

Gruden ain't no fool, he would dump Smith asap.

Gruden talks about Smith like he is his long lost son. He is very high on Smith.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season Alex Smith isn't getting re-signed. The team will have options to upgrade the QB position in the offseason and will get severely ridiculed in the media if it passes on those options in order to go into year 7 of the Alex Smith project.

This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense.

The offseason was spent surrounding Alex Smith with better talent; bringing back the same OC for consistency; and pumping up his confidence by singing him praises in the media about his new found swag and leadership abilities.

Despite that he has failed to lead the team. Most importantly he's failed himself in not playing well enough to secure a new contract with the team and to remain a starter in this league after this season.

When he goes I hope he takes the delusional cultists masking as Niner fans with him.

Almost no matter who you look at in this, they are doing something funny...
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by English:
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season Alex Smith isn't getting re-signed. The team will have options to upgrade the QB position in the offseason and will get severely ridiculed in the media if it passes on those options in order to go into year 7 of the Alex Smith project.

This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense.

The offseason was spent surrounding Alex Smith with better talent; bringing back the same OC for consistency; and pumping up his confidence by singing him praises in the media about his new found swag and leadership abilities.

Despite that he has failed to lead the team. Most importantly he's failed himself in not playing well enough to secure a new contract with the team and to remain a starter in this league after this season.

When he goes I hope he takes the delusional cultists masking as Niner fans with him.

First of all, calling a sizeable percentage of Niner fans and members of this forum "delusional cultists" is offensive, unpleasant and inaccurate. Having a different opinion from you doesnt make others delusional. And claiming that such people are "masking as Niner fans" is an unpleasant and judgemental thing to say. As well as being completely wrong.

"This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense." This is total bull, a very arrogant claim without foundation.

To be charitable, I assume that you are either very young or trolling, or a PBM trying to cause trouble. Hopefully you will get warned for this post.

Regardless, there is clearly no point in discussing the team with you.

My point of contention with this thread is that it's based on the inference that Alex Smith would/should leave the team because he's been either mistreated or inadequetaly supported by the team.

It's part of a continued pattern of Alex Smith supporters who believe that his success as a player isn't based on his own abilities, but the ability of those around him. That is putting the fandom of the player before fandom of the team.

There is no objective argument that can be made that Alex Smith is worthy of a new contract, therefore his fans are delusional.

This is the NFL, Alex Smith will be judged on the standards of the league and compared to his peers.

Case in point, if an inconsistent 1st rd QB like Rex Grossman can get cut from his team despite leading them to 13-3 record and Super Bowl appearance; while having 7 games with a 100 + QB rating, one of them a perfect 148, then Alex Smith will be get the axe for not making the playoffs and playing inconsistent.

That's a reality and fact based observation.

And my point is that you lowered the discussion on football down to a personal attack on a group of other posters. But you knew that, and avoided the point in your response.

• dj43
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
No way Alex resigns with this team if Singletary is still the HC.

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

It was/is Singletary's fault that the team has lost 3 games by 3 points or less
Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

~Ceadder

This might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. C'mon man.

Do tell. I'm interested to see how this is dumber than anything you post.

~Ceadder

Rivers is done in San Diego? lol, that's their franchise QB.
I would like to hear from those who live in San Diego area. There seems to be a sentiment down there that the chemistry between Rivers and his teammates has gone sour. He is very out-spoken, to the point that some teammates have turned him off.

The point is that there is no way anyone (sports analyst, fan, etc.) could justify an "upgrade" for Smith over Rivers. Rivers has a proven track record. He's taken his team to the playoffs, not to mention bring them into playoff contention during a losing season. Those things alone make him better than Smith, even if you're a Smith supporter.

Rivers is a top-10 QB. Alex Smith has been a bottom-5 starter.

LMAO @ thinking the Chargers would consider Smith over Rivers.

By all means, I hope it happens and Rivers comes here so we finally have a good QB. Nobody here said Smith is better than Rivers. There was a question raised about the relationship Rivers has with his teammates. That was all.

[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 22, 2010 at 10:04:28 ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Here’s a quick list of teams Smith could be on next year…

START RIGHT AWAY
Arizona – Their QB situation is weak. They run a pretty versatile offense and I’m sure Alex wouldn’t mind throwing to Fitz.
Oakland – I’m sure all of us would get a shot in Oakland.

COMPETE FOR STARTING JOB
Cleveland – Desperate for a QB.
Minnesota – LOT of weapons. They love throwing the ball.
Cincinnati – Palmer is usually solid but he’s just not getting it done. Smith could at least compete.
Kansas City – Outside shot but I don’t think Smith is LESS talented than Cassell. You could argue Smith is just a mobile version of him if anything.
Tampa Bay – Freeman is solid. If the Bucs cant put together a winning season, it wouldn’t hurt for them to have someone compete with Josh.
Buffalo – Shaky QB situation. Smith could def compete.

BACK UP WITH POTENTIAL TO START
Seattle – Probably sit for a year if Hasslebeck stays but he could start 2012 or sooner if Matt gets injured.
Washington – McNabb isn’t getting younger. Smith could sit and learn for a year.
Dallas - Romo is falling out of favor with fans. He’d have a LONG outside shot of starting but he’d be a solid back up to Romo and could provide a spark if Romo doesn’t get it done. Very long shot though.

STRICTLY BACK UP
Indy – Watch and learn in an ideal offense and learn from the elite.
New England – See above.
Add Jacksonville in the "competing" category. David Garrard is as "streaky" as Smith.
assumingly we bring back alex that would mean he had produced well enough to be brought back id say he would come back and finish what he had started. i sure hope this happens. we wont bring him back if mediocre! if our team clicks on all cylinders it will help alex do well. and we will then find our team playing as a team! 10-6 niners

START RIGHT AWAY
Arizona – Their QB situation is weak. They run a pretty versatile offense and I’m sure Alex wouldn’t mind throwing to Fitz.

COMPETE FOR STARTING JOB
Cincinnati – Palmer is usually solid but he’s just not getting it done. Smith could at least compete.
Kansas City – Outside shot but I don’t think Smith is LESS talented than Cassell. You could argue Smith is just a mobile version of him if anything.
Tampa Bay – Freeman is solid. If the Bucs cant put together a winning season, it wouldn’t hurt for them to have someone compete with Josh.

Seattle – Probably sit for a year if Hasslebeck stays but he could start 2012 or sooner if Matt gets injured.
Washington – McNabb isn’t getting younger. Smith could sit and learn for a year.
Dallas - Romo is falling out of favor with fans. He’d have a LONG outside shot of starting but he’d be a solid back up to Romo and could provide a spark if Romo doesn’t get it done. Very long shot though.

STRICTLY BACK UP
New England – See above.
Add Jacksonville in the "competing" category. David Garrard is as "streaky" as Smith.

Above is a good take. Smith would be a welcomed backup on almost any team in the NFL, save for Philly.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

START RIGHT AWAY

COMPETE FOR STARTING JOB

STRICTLY BACK UP
New England – See above.

Above is a good take. Smith would be a welcomed backup on almost any team in the NFL, save for Philly.

true!
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SY9er8:
If the niners get Gruden Alex would resign!

Gruden wouldnt even give Smith a chance.

Alex's reign here is ova'........

I disagree re: Gruden. Gruden was high on Smith coming out, and I have never heard that his position has changed. If Gruden comes in, Smith is more likely to stay than if, e.g., Cowher came in, IMO.

I DO agree with what you posted above re: Rivers. Rivers > Smith by a country mile. Even though dude is a douche.

Gruden ain't no fool, he would dump Smith asap.

Gruden talks about Smith like he is his long lost son. He is very high on Smith.

Well if we'd traded the bucs thanks nolan we could have landed rodgers lol

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Oct 21, 2010 at 22:34:18 ]
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Almost no matter who you look at in this, they are doing something funny...

Hahah the fat guy who is looks as if he's droping a f bomb ahha
He would if he was given a chance to start. Hopefully we can upgrade so that it doesn't come to a QB competition where the next guy is as shaky as Smith.

He may even resign if he was gonna surely be #2, which would be good for us. I think he would be a nice #2. I know a lot of you think he would run to another team with shaky QBs like Az and Jax so that he'll start. But a lot of people other than those on this board don't think any higher of Alex than they do David Gerrard and the likes. So I doubt if those teams would be knocking down Alex door to start after getting rid of Gerrard or Delhomme because of their inconsistencies.
Share 49ersWebzone