There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Yes, especially if Jon Gruden is named head coach. Gruden really likes Smith's tools, and is just the type of guy who could raise his game to another level. I think Smith would be thrilled to have Gruden take over, especially on a team that has a fair amount of talent.

The Niners are not far from making a major playoff run. They simply need someone who knows what they are doing to take over.

Thank you. That is the only HC candidate that has enough offensive credibility to entice Smith to stay. I have no idea what Gruden thinks of the organization but he is one coach that could change the culture around here.

Rumors floating around that the Cleveland Browns are more enticing because of his relationship with Holmgren (re Gruden returning to head coaching).

That would make sense, although I can't see Smith too excited about playing in the Dawg Pound. Those frigid days on the edge of the lake are not fun.

No fricken way! There is no way that we should bring back Smith if we bring in a new coach. We dont have time for him to learn another offense, not to mention the WCO is probably the worst possible system for a QB with accuracy issues (see missed pass to Gore raider game & Moran)

this

That's the second post in 5 minutes. Who are you and what did you do with Susweel?
Originally posted by backontop:
Yes, especially if Jon Gruden is named head coach. Gruden really likes Smith's tools, and is just the type of guy who could raise his game to another level. I think Smith would be thrilled to have Gruden take over, especially on a team that has a fair amount of talent.

The Niners are not far from making a major playoff run. They simply need someone who knows what they are doing to take over.

Thank you. That is the only HC candidate that has enough offensive credibility to entice Smith to stay. I have no idea what Gruden thinks of the organization but he is one coach that could change the culture around here.

Rumors floating around that the Cleveland Browns are more enticing because of his relationship with Holmgren (re Gruden returning to head coaching).

That would make sense, although I can't see Smith too excited about playing in the Dawg Pound. Those frigid days on the edge of the lake are not fun.

No fricken way! There is no way that we should bring back Smith if we bring in a new coach. We dont have time for him to learn another offense, not to mention the WCO is probably the worst possible system for a QB with accuracy issues (see missed pass to Gore raider game & Moran)

this

who said that the 49ers offense will be a WCO next season?

harbaugh, mooch, gruden

this

That's the second post in 5 minutes. Who are you and what did you do with Susweel?

No way Alex resigns with this team if Singletary is still the HC.

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

It was/is Singletary's fault that the team has lost 3 games by 3 points or less
Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......
Originally posted by ads_2006:

this

who said that the 49ers offense will be a WCO next season?

harbaugh, mooch, gruden

And if neither of them become the HC???? You forget that the Yorks own the 49ers. They will hire some rookie HC again. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they promoted MJ
I can see him not resigning, going to a team that uses the spread, and he becomes a top 10 qb in the nfl
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Let's say he stops committing turnovers and we make the playoffs. The question then becomes how long are we willing to commit to him and are there other organizations that are willing to exceed what we offer.

Chances are he's not going to want to be here if he thinks we're still shaky on him and will pull the plug if something better comes along.

The only way we make the playoffs is if the OLine magicaly learns how to protect A QB over night.

Fixed.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by fryet:
A bone for the Alex detractors. This thread assumes that Alex proves that he is a top 15 QB. If the season were to end today, it would not take that much money to resign him (he would get multiple offers, though). Alex potentially can be top 15 (he has been before statistically), but he has an uphill climb at this point.

Personally, I think the 49er Front Office has done a poor job planning for the future. They could have signed Alex Smith to a reasonable 2 year deal this offseason, and ensured that he would remain with the team - IF they wanted him. As it stands now, if he does well, they are going to have to overpay to keep him on the team.

Staying to a one year deal only saves them money if he fails. And you shouldn't plan for your future expecting your starting QB to fail.

Resigning Alex Smith would cause the 49ers to lose much of its fanbase.

It would be good riddance in most cases.

Exactly right. They wouldn't be much of fans to begin with, if that's all it takes. See ya!

I wish they would just leave now

You heard the boos at the stick, you heard the "we want Carr" chants. I'm sure the owner heard those as well.

No way he is asked to come back.

and those boos and chants were unwarranted as Smith was actually having a good game. But I guess if Smith doesn't throw for 5TD's+ a game then he sucks. Yea he is inconsistent, but so is the OLine play.

They were warranted, dude has been stinking up the place for 6 years now.

Quit over-exaggerating man Smith hasn't even been on the field 6 years.

Oh I know he didn't ride the Pine to your liking during his 2 years on it.

See THIS kind of crap is why I defend Smith the way I do. If you all just called it straight up without all the hatred, I wouldn't care. But you don't. Smith has had good games and he's had bad games. Unfortunately he's not performing to YOUR standards so he's expendable.

I have an idea that could fix all our problems. We'll have an open competition between his critics and Smith. If he's not the guy then we have a lot of people to choose from +2(FA and Draft Pick). If he is the guy the haters need to STFU. Cuase personally nobody is so great a fan they should dictate the future of this team. You all live in the past and since I see no Bill Walsh, No Joe Montana and no Mike Shannahan in the immediate future we'd be even worse off than we are now. We all knew this team has been rebuilding. You have to suck it up or go away. Cause it's not a mistake free process for anyone. I'm fed up with all the whiners actin like this should all be lain at the feet of the QB.

I don't expect ANYONE to be Rah Rah for every decision made. But to take it out on the one guy doing EVERYTHING to be a team player and getting his teeth kicked in on the field is BULLSH!T and I'm fed up with it.

Look at where the Giants are now. That's a perfect example of a team that was just a couple pieces away and STILL a few local fans would complain if they were hung with a new rope. Just shut up about every little thing. It's not the QB. If it were then Frank would have a ton of Yards and our Receivers would not have any 100 yard games. We're closer than ANYONE in the Zone thinks.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 21, 2010 at 01:27:52 ]
Originally posted by AKfanster:

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.
Originally posted by binary2nd:

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.

I disagree. Sing is in the 2nd(3rd?) of a 5 year contract. I think that Jed tells him next year is the last year and that it will not go down like this again or he's done.

The reason I believe this is because we're just off of Nolan's 5 year deal, Martz's is still being paid also I think. And for the most part Sing has gotten the Players to respond. Now this is barring a reversal of fortunes after the Win against the Raiders. I think if we lost that game then Sing was definitely done.

ALSO this opinion is based on Football being around in 2011. If there is indeed a lockout, Jed cannot fire Sing. Not if he knows what doing so could do to the franchise. Nothing like a labor dispute to bring personnel decisions to a grinding halt. It would be best for Jed to keep Sing around during the lockout and let him go for one more Season. But with the proviso that should this team go 9-7 and under Sing is more than likely done.

And also this goes with Smith. If the owners are gearing up for a lockout (they are) then only a handful of teams will show interest at this time. They will know better as they get closer to TC, whether they will make any offers or keep the guys they got.

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

And if I were Alex, I would want to go to a comfort zone. Which we all know that San Diego is.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

~Ceadder

This might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. C'mon man.
Would Smith re-sign if offered? I think he would. Its taken him this long to get something going. To turn away and go somewhere else where he has the learn a whole new system and tank for 2 seasons or so before becoming once again comfortable? I dont think so, because thats 4 steps back too many.

He'll resign if he gets us into the playoffs. Its a progression from the year before. so based on that theory the following year (including factors for the rest of the team to build onto a successful season) we should expect playoffs and beyond.

All so if theres a better QB in the draft or pick up in the FA (if there is a season!) I'll say bring him in and have him learn the system as a fall back plan in case Smith really doesnt work out.

~Ceadder

Do tell. I'm interested to see how this is dumber than anything you post.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Rivers is done in San Diego? lol, that's their franchise QB.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Rivers is done in San Diego? lol, that's their franchise QB.

So? Merriman was their Franchise LB. He's gone.

Rivers and the Bolts have been to the Playoffs a lot of times since they made him their franchise QB. His mechanics suck, they got rid of LT(their Franchise Back) and Smith has a Franchise TE that just tied Gates single Season TD mark. If you think their GM is gonna be a patient man past this season when they got nothing from their Offense against the Raiders(when we did) then you don;t understand that Norv will have to do some fast talking to keep his job there in San Diego if they don't get it turned around and if Rivers doesn't make it past the NFC Championship Game.

Smith is technically still running Norv's Offense and I'm damned sure that Norv has some imagination with it. He'll tell their GM their best bet is to make an offer to Alex and why Smith isn't the problem here.

If you don't believe me that's your prerogative. But what I'm saying is NOT dumb. There is plenty of examples of Players reuniting with someone who holds influence with them. Just the fact that the Boltz have high expectations that have never been met puts Rivers and Norv on the hot seat.

Check the next page for my break down before replying to this post.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 21, 2010 at 04:09:53 ]