LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 203 users in the forums

ESPN asked coaches to take late timeouts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Man, this is sad....this is what it has come to? jeez- From Pro Football Talk

One of the biggest reasons why a weak Monday Night Football game can out-rate game three of the ALCS in New York: Fantasy football.

While Cliff Lee was dealing, fantasy owners across the country were hoping to squeeze a few more points out of Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones-Drew. Johnson's owners prayers were answered when Johnson broke free for a 35-yard touchdown on fourth down with under two minutes remaining.

That led to some (silly) questions about why Johnson was still in the game. Why were the Titans still trying to score?

Titans coach Jeff Fisher indicated that it was largely ESPN's fault. The network still needed more television timeouts and apparently asked both coaching staffs to take timeouts late.

"Jack [Del Rio] used his timeouts," Fisher said after the game via Terry McCormick of Titans Insider. "My understanding is they needed network timeouts, and that's why Jack used his timeouts. They came over and asked me to do it, but I said, 'I was hoping to get a first down and kneel on it.'"

Of course, you can also thank Del Rio for actually listening. Fisher was happy to end the game at 23-3, but Del Rio didn't let him.

"It's the first time I've heard of it," Fisher said about a network request for timeouts. "I just said I would have a hard time using them, because I'm ahead. Honestly, I have no issues with Jack or how he managed the end of that game. It's just what it was, and I don't think he would have an issue with me handing the ball off."
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The networks are controlling the games.
Originally posted by susweel:

Exactly.

Between this sad junk and the Giants game today at lunch time...I am tired of ESPN, east coast biased, jacked up league crap.

Sad
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Exactly.

Between this sad junk and the Giants game today at lunch time...I am tired of ESPN, east coast biased, jacked up league crap.

Sad

ESPN had nothing to do with the Giants game today
Originally posted by valrod33:

Exactly.

Sad

ESPN had nothing to do with the Giants game today

I know. That is the East Coast jacked up league part. I ranted as I hate Selig.
  • dman
  • Veteran

Exactly.

Sad

Ive been sick of this for years.

If it gets me an extra 10 points on my fantasy team I'm all for it.

Thank you ESPN.
They probably figured thats the least the Jaguars could do for them after they put there sorry asses on MNF.
who cares? Baseballs is the suckzors
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
who cares? Baseballs is the suckzors

It isn't just about baseball...This thread is really about the network controlling the game for ratings. It would be one thing to take a TV timeout, but asking coaches to do it, sad. And Del Rio did it. jeez

Does it really surprise somebody that a network is trying to get extra ratings?
You mean to tell me that a network that makes money based on how many people watch, is trying to maximize that money by increasing the amount of viewers? The nerve! And during a show that's purely entertainment? Have they no decency?
TV timeouts vs. asking the team to make it longer. come on...
too bad its not true
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
too bad its not true

Now that makes sense and explains why Cris Johnson was in the game.
Share 49ersWebzone