The NFL is cracking down... AGAIN!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
yes, I know what a form tackle is.

When you're flying at a guy about to catch a ball, you're not thinking, "let me wrap him up." You're thinking, "Let me light this motherf**ker up so he doesn't make the reception."

I played CB and WR in high-school and trust me - you want to light up the guy who comes down the middle if you can't get to the ball - but you never never lead with your head. It doesn't work majority of the times and you end up missing him completely because when you're leading with your head, you aren't looking at the WR anymore. You always keep your head up and lead with shoulders into his abdominal area OR to the thighs area.

agree. But some of the hits they're showing as "Vicious hits" are ones where the defender leads with the pads, as he should. So, IDK, we'll just have to see how this plays out. I don't see too many players easing up on laying bone jarring hits, but you never know.

Last year, there was a play where I think a Giant D-lineman had a QB in his grasp, but let him go because he didn't want to get called for roughing the passer. The QB rolled away and completed a pass. All because the defender let up in fear of being fined/flagged.

Yea, but again - don't lead with your shoulders towards the head. Lead with your pads around the waist and thighs. None of the other issues will come up then.

Running back lowering his head won't be an issue - if defenders go for his waist - which is the most effective way to tackle anyway.
What people are missing is this new rule isnt for helmet to helmet
It's for devastating hit, which can mean anything
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by solidg2000:
What people are missing is this new rule isnt for helmet to helmet
It's for devastating hit, which can mean anything

It's not for helmet to helmet - Basically NFL is saying - tackle the right away. Around waist and below and don't launch with a helmet into another player,
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
This is not NFL doing this - retired players want protection for head-injuries they suffer during the season. NFL has decided to put aside money for that, so of course they want rules that will stop these players from getting hit in the head.

• Sulla
  • Veteran
Maybe they should fine the QB for getting his own Wr killed over the middle.
Originally posted by Chief:
I don't understand how they can take away tackling.

using your helmet as a weapon to blow another person's helmet up isn't really tackling...
As for DeSean Jackson, he is listed at 175lb. (Dunta Robinson at 185lb) Thats about minimum if not less than that.
So the short career was expected and I think the Eagles understood that. The way offense is operated nowadays,
I suppose there are not enough WRs so they sacrifice the size for speed and replace players with faster cycles.
Sure bigger doesnt mean less injuries but NFL is definitely not the league for small players.
Maybe, any team should deal with slower players with size when has to make a choice.

[ Edited by DominantQE on Oct 21, 2010 at 04:18:48 ]
Originally posted by DominantQE:
As for DeSean Jackson, he is listed at 175lb. (Dunta Robinson at 185lb) Thats about minimum if not less than that.
So the short career was expected and I think the Eagles understood that. The way offense is operated nowadays,
I suppose there are not enough WRs so they sacrifice the size for speed and replace players with faster cycles.
Sure bigger doesnt mean less injuries but NFL is definitely not the league for small players.
Maybe, any team should deal with slower players with size when have to make a choice.

See the only problem was Robinson didnt lead with his helmet
Originally posted by PTulini:
Say good-bye to hits like this...

not a penalty. they want to stop the leading with the head. thats bad for both players
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:

using your helmet as a weapon to blow another person's helmet up isn't really tackling...

[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Oct 19, 2010 at 22:02:51 ]

James Harrison: "I might quit NFL"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b77d1c/article/steelers-lb-harrison-mulling-retirement-after-75k-fine-for-hit?module=HP_headlines
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b77d1c/article/steelers-lb-harrison-mulling-retirement-after-75k-fine-for-hit?module=HP_headlines

He can join Brock Lesner.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

I don't blame him, this is a pussified league. You literally have to walk on eggshells now to avoid penalties (giving the other team an advantage on a scoring drive to come back and win the game).

This s**t is why Joe Montana will forever own Tom Brady.
okay, so now a defender going in for a hit is gonna think, "I better not hit high, let me aim low." Boom, blown out knees, broken legs. Then what??? this is f**king stupid.

The human body DOES have a waist you know..
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

yeah really.... they might as well use a flying side kick..
Share 49ersWebzone