LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

The NFL is cracking down... AGAIN!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
okay, so now a defender going in for a hit is gonna think, "I better not hit high, let me aim low." Boom, blown out knees, broken legs. Then what??? this is f**king stupid.

Or they will think - let me use my arms and wrap around the guy - like I was taught back in high school and college.

you still have to make initial contact. You're not gonna run up with your arms out like you're about to hug him.

Do you even know how to tackle?
Originally posted by valrod33:
JasonLaCanfora

Steelers James Harrison fined $75K and Falcons Dunta Robinson fined $50K for helmet-to-helmet hits.

Adam_Schefter

RT @MikeReiss: NFL source says Brandon Meriweather will be fined $50,000 for two helmet-to-helmet hits. No suspension.

thats stupid Meriweather should be suspended at least 1 game. That was the dirtiest hit I've seen in my life
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
New Female League

LMAO.

How about Need a Fscking Life?
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:
JasonLaCanfora

Steelers James Harrison fined $75K and Falcons Dunta Robinson fined $50K for helmet-to-helmet hits.

Adam_Schefter

RT @MikeReiss: NFL source says Brandon Meriweather will be fined $50,000 for two helmet-to-helmet hits. No suspension.

thats stupid Meriweather should be suspended at least 1 game. That was the dirtiest hit I've seen in my life

I agree i honestly like Mariweather's hit was much worse than Robinsons on jackson. It just seemed like he threw his head into heap where as robinson and d-jax was more of a hit off situation - two super fast guys running into eachother...
  • kray28
  • Veteran
The NFL just needs to ban tackling altogether and switch to flags.
Originally posted by al49erfan:
okay, so now a defender going in for a hit is gonna think, "I better not hit high, let me aim low." Boom, blown out knees, broken legs. Then what??? this is f**king stupid.

Or they will think - let me use my arms and wrap around the guy - like I was taught back in high school and college.

you still have to make initial contact. You're not gonna run up with your arms out like you're about to hug him.

a little
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

a little

I don't know what you mean - but you are taught never to lead with your head. You wrap 'em around the waist or thighs.

Here's a perfect video:

This is how one should tackle. If every player tackles like this, you won't see stupid missed tackles that plague the league currently.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

I doubt you were tackling 220 pound running backs who could run a 4.4 forty...
yes, I know what a form tackle is.

When you're flying at a guy about to catch a ball, you're not thinking, "let me wrap him up." You're thinking, "Let me light this motherf**ker up so he doesn't make the reception."
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:
JasonLaCanfora

Adam_Schefter

I agree i honestly like Mariweather's hit was much worse than Robinsons on jackson. It just seemed like he threw his head into heap where as robinson and d-jax was more of a hit off situation - two super fast guys running into eachother...

Yea, even the coaching staff pulled him out of the game after that...according to PFT.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 23zack80:

I doubt you were tackling 220 pound running backs who could run a 4.4 forty...

Well, I wasn't 200lbs running 4.4 either. In fact, the bigger and faster the opposing player is - it's even more important to follow the perfect technique.

• 4ML
  • Veteran

When you're flying at a guy about to catch a ball, you're not thinking, "let me wrap him up." You're thinking, "Let me light this motherf**ker up so he doesn't make the reception."

I played CB and WR in high-school and trust me - you want to light up the guy who comes down the middle if you can't get to the ball - but you never never lead with your head. It doesn't work majority of the times and you end up missing him completely because when you're leading with your head, you aren't looking at the WR anymore. You always keep your head up and lead with shoulders into his abdominal area OR to the thighs area.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
What irritates me is players getting fined and flagged for unintentional head shots. Too many times I have seen a defender aiming for the numbers and then the back lowers his head and it becomes helmet to helmet and the defender gets 15 yards.
I believe any unsportsmanlike conduct penalty should be reviewed right on the field. How many times does a guy take a cheap shot in retaliation and the guy who started the scrum gets away with it, and the guy getting even gets flagged.

I played CB and WR in high-school and trust me - you want to light up the guy who comes down the middle if you can't get to the ball - but you never never lead with your head. It doesn't work majority of the times and you end up missing him completely because when you're leading with your head, you aren't looking at the WR anymore. You always keep your head up and lead with shoulders into his abdominal area OR to the thighs area.

agree. But some of the hits they're showing as "Vicious hits" are ones where the defender leads with the pads, as he should. So, IDK, we'll just have to see how this plays out. I don't see too many players easing up on laying bone jarring hits, but you never know.

Last year, there was a play where I think a Giant D-lineman had a QB in his grasp, but let him go because he didn't want to get called for roughing the passer. The QB rolled away and completed a pass. All because the defender let up in fear of being fined/flagged.
Originally posted by BobS:
What irritates me is players getting fined and flagged for unintentional head shots. Too many times I have seen a defender aiming for the numbers and then the back lowers his head and it becomes helmet to helmet and the defender gets 15 yards.
I believe any unsportsmanlike conduct penalty should be reviewed right on the field. How many times does a guy take a cheap shot in retaliation and the guy who started the scrum gets away with it, and the guy getting even gets flagged.

that too! If they're gonna make defenders change the way they tackle, why not make the ball carrier run straight up? No more lowering your head. It's retarded.
Share 49ersWebzone