There are 204 users in the forums

The NFL is cracking down... AGAIN!

Shop 49ers game tickets
I don't see how this is a bad thing if it means the players have fewer head injuries and are able to have a somewhat normal life with their families after they retire. Just b/c you might not be as entertained as much as you used to be doesnt mean this will ruin the sport. You guys gotta look at it from the league's prespective and not as a fan sitting on the couch.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Im not liking the new NFL, they are taking all the violence out of the game. Not good
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
I don't see how this is a bad thing if it means the players have fewer head injuries and are able to have a somewhat normal life with their families after they retire. Just b/c you might not be as entertained as much as you used to be doesnt mean this will ruin the sport. You guys gotta look at it from the league's prespective and not as a fan sitting on the couch.

this. plus, yeah, I like big hits, like any football fan, but I really don't like it when the hit ends with guys seriously hurt, concussed, with memory loss. That hit on Jackson hurt BOTH players. The players have to be protected from themselves. The game will be just as enjoyable, IMO.
What is new? Only difference will be instead of a slap on the wrist $10,000 fine for a blatent illegal hit it will now be a suspension. The helmet to helmet rule already exists.
  • Sulla
  • Veteran
The NFL is a business, and all it wants to do is pay the bills and make extra cash on top of that, hence all the fines and suspensions these days. But maybe they can start with a rookie payscale!

On a rant note, I think the new amendment is pathetic. These players get paid millions of dollars to play football - I think they can handle the risk/reward of football then. They know and should know what they committed to for their life, just like everyone else. Management should accept this, but they won't.
next up, two hand touch on the QB.
JasonLaCanfora

Steelers James Harrison fined $75K and Falcons Dunta Robinson fined $50K for helmet-to-helmet hits.

Adam_Schefter

RT @MikeReiss: NFL source says Brandon Meriweather will be fined $50,000 for two helmet-to-helmet hits. No suspension.
Originally posted by valrod33:
JasonLaCanfora

Steelers James Harrison fined $75K and Falcons Dunta Robinson fined $50K for helmet-to-helmet hits.

Adam_Schefter

RT @MikeReiss: NFL source says Brandon Meriweather will be fined $50,000 for two helmet-to-helmet hits. No suspension.

wow, that's no pocket change, even for these fools.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
JasonLaCanfora

Adam_Schefter

Next week suspensions!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:
What is new? Only difference will be instead of a slap on the wrist $10,000 fine for a blatent illegal hit it will now be a suspension. The helmet to helmet rule already exists.

Suspension is huge. If you still go for these hits, it makes you look selfish, it costs you your whole weekly check, and you can't be with your team-mates on Sundays. That will actually stop these guys from going for such hits.

Was watching a Chuck Cecil highlight reel during the game last night and all I could think was how he would be broke from all the fines in todays NFL
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
i don't really see why people are complaining about this. There was nothing cool or exciting about that hit that Desean Jackson took yesterday, and I'm glad the NFL is trying to do something to make sure those kinds of plays don't happen anymore.

This.

Defenders more often than before are launching into offensive players for helmet to helmet hits (to make the high-light reels and that's all fun to watch on TV) - but not at the expense of their health.

Back in the days - players tackled around the waist/thighs and that's how they should be doing it. With this rule - I think we will see better tackling and less of this hit or miss type tackling technique.

I'm with this on the league - 100%

i hadn't thought of it like that, but thats a really great point. How many times have we seen some safety go for a monster hit and totally whiff and let the guy go for a TD? This will not only help players health, but it could return some more "fundamental" play.

Football is plenty violent without seeing guys twitching unconscious on the ground.

Yea, I mean - if violence is what you want to see, there are other sports you can tune into. Plus, NFL is not saying you can't hit hard, they are just saying - you can't launch yourself toward another players helmet with your helmet.
okay, so now a defender going in for a hit is gonna think, "I better not hit high, let me aim low." Boom, blown out knees, broken legs. Then what??? this is f**king stupid.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
okay, so now a defender going in for a hit is gonna think, "I better not hit high, let me aim low." Boom, blown out knees, broken legs. Then what??? this is f**king stupid.

Or they will think - let me use my arms and wrap around the guy - like I was taught back in high school and college.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Or they will think - let me use my arms and wrap around the guy - like I was taught back in high school and college.

you still have to make initial contact. You're not gonna run up with your arms out like you're about to hug him.
Share 49ersWebzone