The NFL is cracking down... AGAIN!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Merriweather had a great hit this weekend. Just as hard as any hit we have seen this year and it was legal. Use your shoulder and arms, not your helmet. Not that hard.

Again, good job NFL

WRONG. in the NFL video they said do not lead with your shoulder pads. any shoulder pad hit to the head or neck are is illegal, so willis's hit would be illegal, and smith was defensless as he was wrapped by lewis.

also that proper tackling video, what heppens when it is 6'3 tackling 5'6 MJD, then MJD ducks down and now mays hits him in the head, who is at fault? what is the punishment, will mays be ejected and we lost our starting safety because MJD lead with his helmet?

What do you mean WRONG?

When you're tackling a RB like MJD, you go for his legs. Not his upper-body. You dive into his thighs and wrap your arms around his knee.

Also, the rule is - don't LAUNCH into a player with your shoulder and hit the ball carrier in head/neck. You can hit with your shoulders still...just don't launch into him.

Willis hit was perfectly legal. He used his shoulders and never launched into the player. Also, that's not the definition of defenseless player...if the ball carried is getting tackled.

I have no faith in the refs calling it accuratly. I look at spencer's hit on kitna a few years ago that hit was legal and exactly how you want to hit a Qb. Go after the ball and get the tackle, he then gets flagged and fined because kitna's head goes forward and hits the top of spencer's head.

And in order to go after mid's thighs you have to look at the ground and expose not only the crown but also the back of your head. Then when mid gets low you collide with the tops of your helmet and the defender pays the price.

I have said I have no problem if they go after hits like Harrison and merriweather made. But if the go after robinson's hit I will disagree with it. What was the diffrence between his hit and the hit Ray Lewis did in the good example tackle?

I honestly don't remember the video anymore, but as for your concern about when going for thighs you have to look at the ground and expose back of your head - that's not true.

When you go for the thighs - the right way to tackle is - you're still looking up. You never, ever drop your head or keep it parallel to the ground. That's the right way to tackle which is taught at high-school and in college, and players are expected to know this at the NFL level.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I'm getting a little fed up with the NFL and all these rules.
Merriweather had a great hit this weekend. Just as hard as any hit we have seen this year and it was legal. Use your shoulder and arms, not your helmet. Not that hard.

Again, good job NFL

WRONG. in the NFL video they said do not lead with your shoulder pads. any shoulder pad hit to the head or neck are is illegal, so willis's hit would be illegal, and smith was defensless as he was wrapped by lewis.

also that proper tackling video, what heppens when it is 6'3 tackling 5'6 MJD, then MJD ducks down and now mays hits him in the head, who is at fault? what is the punishment, will mays be ejected and we lost our starting safety because MJD lead with his helmet?

What do you mean WRONG?

When you're tackling a RB like MJD, you go for his legs. Not his upper-body. You dive into his thighs and wrap your arms around his knee.

Also, the rule is - don't LAUNCH into a player with your shoulder and hit the ball carrier in head/neck. You can hit with your shoulders still...just don't launch into him.

Willis hit was perfectly legal. He used his shoulders and never launched into the player. Also, that's not the definition of defenseless player...if the ball carried is getting tackled.

I have no faith in the refs calling it accuratly. I look at spencer's hit on kitna a few years ago that hit was legal and exactly how you want to hit a Qb. Go after the ball and get the tackle, he then gets flagged and fined because kitna's head goes forward and hits the top of spencer's head.

And in order to go after mid's thighs you have to look at the ground and expose not only the crown but also the back of your head. Then when mid gets low you collide with the tops of your helmet and the defender pays the price.

I have said I have no problem if they go after hits like Harrison and merriweather made. But if the go after robinson's hit I will disagree with it. What was the diffrence between his hit and the hit Ray Lewis did in the good example tackle?

I honestly don't remember the video anymore, but as for your concern about when going for thighs you have to look at the ground and expose back of your head - that's not true.

When you go for the thighs - the right way to tackle is - you're still looking up. You never, ever drop your head or keep it parallel to the ground. That's the right way to tackle which is taught at high-school and in college, and players are expected to know this at the NFL level.

even the video you posted shows the player dropping his head.

and that worry was strictly to players like santana moss, maurice jones drew, desean jackson, etc the
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by kingairta:
Wow those games this past weekend were jusr horrible. This whole cracking down really ruined the game.

People over-react for no reason. NFL did the right thing, helmet is there to protect your coconut, not to use it as a weapon to injure another player. Use your f**king shoulders if you want to pop someone or learn how to tackle with your arms.

yeah, its funny how this thread became a ghost town when this whole "issue" was just a bunch of bluster and overreaction.

You guys still feel the same? Hmmmm...?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by kingairta:
Wow those games this past weekend were jusr horrible. This whole cracking down really ruined the game.

People over-react for no reason. NFL did the right thing, helmet is there to protect your coconut, not to use it as a weapon to injure another player. Use your f**king shoulders if you want to pop someone or learn how to tackle with your arms.

yeah, its funny how this thread became a ghost town when this whole "issue" was just a bunch of bluster and overreaction.

You guys still feel the same? Hmmmm...?

yes. I still think the NFL's stricter enforcement is well-intentioned. I do think its asinine to fine a player for "unnecessarily striking the QB in the chest," but I think that in the offseason the general rule of "roughness" and its enforcement will be given more attention than it can be given during the season. At least, I hope so. In the meantime, I haven't noticed any decline in the quality of play, which is what people were so concerned about.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

yes. I still think the NFL's stricter enforcement is well-intentioned. I do think its asinine to fine a player for "unnecessarily striking the QB in the chest," but I think that in the offseason the general rule of "roughness" and its enforcement will be given more attention than it can be given during the season. At least, I hope so. In the meantime, I haven't noticed any decline in the quality of play, which is what people were so concerned about.

I'm not only talking about the fine, I think Manny's penalty was influenced by this, too. It's exactly what I was b***hing about earlier in the thread. You can't adjust at those speeds to sudden movement by the offensive player. If the offensive player puts his helmet in the path of a defender, why is it the defender's responsibility to avoid it? Offensive players need to be held accountable for their actions, too. They have a responsibility to ensure their own safety.

I want the game to be kept as safe as possible, but I also want it to be kept balanced. Way too many rules lately have hindered defenses. I don't have a big problem with any of them that I can think of. This one is just taking things too far, IMO.

As for the "decline in quality of play", I'd say that turning a sack into a penalty constitutes as a decline in the defense's quality of play.

Lastly, if they do start handing out suspensions... we'll see how the players react. You know I'll be bumping this thread, even if it is to say I was wrong.

Lulz - you'll still watch though, won't you?
Originally posted by horsecore:

he might but i am starting to tune out.

instead of sitting around watching football today i picked up a shift at work. and am thinking of doing the same next week as i may get an identical shift( 12 hrs of doing nothing and makinig OT for the whole shift.

s**t i may do it for the rest of the year. i am probably going to the bucs game, but that may be it for the year. i feel my day is better served making the extra bit of money for my gsxr or fixing my dads classic motorcycle.
Originally posted by horsecore:

I used to sit around all Sunday watching football. Now I watch the 49ers game and that is it. It was strange having a productive Sunday this weekend.

Share 49ersWebzone