LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Bill Parcells leaving Miami

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I think we should hire him on the basis of his ability to bring in good football people and structure an organization, a la what he did with the Dolphins.

The Dolphins haven't sustained a level of success following the 2008 season.

And it isn't at all strange that Parcells has stepped down from his position after two seasons? Or that Jeff Ireland could be fired this season?

It must be easy as a fan to simply hold up a sign reading "Dump York" or "Hire Parcells."

Football isn't that easy.

The Dolphins were 1-15 and then hired Parcell and went 11-5 and AFC East champs in years 1

The Cowboys had 3 straight 5-11 seasons, hired Parcells and went 10-6 and playoffs in year 1

Jets were 4-28 under Kotite, hired Parcells and went 9-7 year 1 and then 12-4 year 2

Patriots were 2-14 and then hired Parcells and in 2 years they were 10-6 and in a Super Bowl in 96

Giants had 1 winning season in 10 years, hired Parcells in 83 and won the Super Bowl in 86 and 90

What exactly has Jed York and Singletary done that is remotely close to what Parcells has been doing the last 3 decades?
I think we should hire him on the basis of his ability to bring in good football people and structure an organization, a la what he did with the Dolphins.

And it isn't at all strange that Parcells has stepped down from his position after two seasons? Or that Jeff Ireland could be fired this season?

It must be easy as a fan to simply hold up a sign reading "Dump York" or "Hire Parcells."

we're lacking structure and "football experience" at the top of our organization. I think Parcells would be an ideal consultant for this franchise for a year or two, especially if we have to blow up the coaching staff this offseason.

If not, then whatever, I really don't care, and don't think I've done/said anything to deserve your snide and smug attitude.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

The Dolphins were 1-15 and then hired Parcell and went 11-5 and AFC East champs in years 1

The Cowboys had 3 straight 5-11 seasons, hired Parcells and went 10-6 and playoffs in year 1

Jets were 4-28 under Kotite, hired Parcells and went 9-7 year 1 and then 12-4 year 2

Patriots were 2-14 and then hired Parcells and in 2 years they were 10-6 and in a Super Bowl in 96

Giants had 1 winning season in 10 years, hired Parcells in 83 and won the Super Bowl in 86 and 90

What exactly has Jed York and Singletary done that is remotely close to what Parcells has been doing the last 3 decades?

And so success in the NFL is now defined by short term gains and unsustainable winning? Also, we're talking about Bill Parcells as an executive (as noted yourself) and not a coach.

I can't argue for York and Singletary on the basis of their experience, because both are essentially rookies at both positions.

I can argue for allowing them the opportunity to succeed through patience and time. I think it's perfectly fine if you believe in firing a coach after 31 games. You would have been the fan asking for Bill Walsh's head after his 8-24 start to his career too.

WINNER! Seriously, I want Parcells in the 49ers front office!!!
Fine. He did his job. Rebuilding complete. They are pretty decent. Once he fixed them, there is nothing left to do.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Fine. He did his job. Rebuilding complete. They are pretty decent. Once he fixed them, there is nothing left to do.

And now its up to the organization to maintain it.

And so success in the NFL is now defined by short term gains and unsustainable winning? Also, we're talking about Bill Parcells as an executive (as noted yourself) and not a coach.

I can't argue for York and Singletary on the basis of their experience, because both are essentially rookies at both positions.

I can argue for allowing them the opportunity to succeed through patience and time. I think it's perfectly fine if you believe in firing a coach after 31 games. You would have been the fan asking for Bill Walsh's head after his 8-24 start to his career too.

there is one common factor with my stats i put, a team turn around and Parcells whether it is as coach, Gm, Exec whatever.

Unsustainable winning? I hope your example of the 2008-2009 Dolphins is your only example? 2008 had a healthy Pennington and 2009 had Pennington and Brown hurt. They still started 7-6, ended up losing the final 3 games.

What is even funnier is you are comparing Singletary and York to Walsh and Eddie D

LOL

Singletary is part of the Nolan tree

Parcells tree includes Belichick, Sean Payton, Tom Coughlin, Tony Sparano, Mangini, Groh, Weiss, Crennell

Walsh was involved as an NFL assistant coach or college coach for 15 years before getting hired by the Niners. Singletary was a LB coach for Nolan who also said he didnt want to draft Willis

Parcells is surrounded by success and has produced success. Singletary has produced the biggest turnover differential in the NFL, most penalties and mistakes, and every week we are unprepared. Oh yeah, and also a 1-6 start that included an ugly one possession win over the Raiders at home.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Yup. Not like winning playoff games or building for the future.

Are you really advocating for a rent-an-executive?
Originally posted by horsecore:
all i know is that the dolphins seem to be headed in a good direction. Sparano--a Parcell's hire--has that team 3-2 and in the midst of the hunt for that division.

Parcell's value is in that he brings in people with great football knowledge and sets up a great organizational structure, which is what we're missing. Bringing him in here wouldn't automatically fix our problems, but I think he would give Jed a good education on how to set up a franchise.

I won't cry if we don't get him, but I think its worth a phone call to see if he'd be interested.

This.

Agreed. Dude is a douche, but he knows football.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
all i know is that the dolphins seem to be headed in a good direction. Sparano--a Parcell's hire--has that team 3-2 and in the midst of the hunt for that division.

Parcell's value is in that he brings in people with great football knowledge and sets up a great organizational structure, which is what we're missing. Bringing him in here wouldn't automatically fix our problems, but I think he would give Jed a good education on how to set up a franchise.

I won't cry if we don't get him, but I think its worth a phone call to see if he'd be interested.

This.

His coaching tree has 5 superbowl wins in the last 10 years

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

This.

Indeed. This team needs to up its douche factor.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nothing03:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:

I think Id cry if we do get him

tears of joy?

Me too I would cry. After the Donahue, Nolan, drunks @ss MCcoughlan and Sing Era I think its time to hire some one that knew a thing or two about football.

I am sure he doesn't come cheap. and the Yorks are cheap. Stop wishing for something we will never get.
there is one common factor with my stats i put, a team turn around and Parcells whether it is as coach, Gm, Exec whatever.

Unsustainable winning? I hope your example of the 2008-2009 Dolphins is your only example? 2008 had a healthy Pennington and 2009 had Pennington and Brown hurt. They still started 7-6, ended up losing the final 3 games.

My example would be Bill Parcells' career as a Head Coach.

His tenure in New England was marked by two successful seasons and two seasons with less than seven wins. His tenure in New York was noted for one playoff season in three years and an abrupt retirement as Head Coach and then fully leaving the team as General Manager in 2000 after the Jets failed to make the playoffs. Parcells took a Cowboys team to the playoffs in his first year, only to fail to make the playoffs in consecutive years (while never winning more than nine games afterward).

What is even funnier is you are comparing Singletary and York to Walsh and Eddie D

Actually, I compared your impaired, knee-jerk judgement of Singletary and York to those of fans after the '79 and '80 seasons.

Parcells tree includes Belichick, Sean Payton, Tom Coughlin, Tony Sparano, Mangini, Groh, Weiss, Crennell

The fact that you've brought up a coaching tree as relevant materials leads me to believe you've missed the point of my post.

Walsh was involved as an NFL assistant coach or college coach for 15 years before getting hired by the Niners. Singletary was a LB coach for Nolan who also said he didnt want to draft Willis.

The hiring of Bill Walsh was heavily criticized in the Bay Area. His one season as an NFL Coordinator was a disaster (he had Dan Fouts and Charlie Joiner on that team).

Also, the story on Singletary not wanting to draft Willis is bogus.

Coach Mike Singletary believes in second chances

Quote:
Singletary famously whiffed the first time he watched Patrick Willis' college game films, going so far as to discourage the pick. Less remembered is that Singletary changed his mind after hearing more about the player's background: Willis grew up with an abusive father and served as the caretaker of his younger siblings. Willis dedicated his final season at Mississippi to his brother, Detris, who drowned at age 17, and promptly led the SEC in tackles. "That's when I knew we had something special,'' Singletary said.

Parcells is surrounded by success and has produced success. Singletary has produced the biggest turnover differential in the NFL, most penalties and mistakes, and every week we are unprepared. Oh yeah, and also a 1-6 start that included an ugly one possession win over the Raiders at home.

You're going off topic when discussing Singletary. This isn't the fire Singletary thread. As noted previously, I'm simply advocating for the allowance of Singletary to finish the season without interruption.

It's nice to see you've watched the games, what with you knowing the correct record of the team and all.

His tenure in New England was marked by two successful seasons and two seasons with less than seven wins. His tenure in New York was noted for one playoff season in three years and an abrupt retirement as Head Coach and then fully leaving the team as General Manager in 2000 after the Jets failed to make the playoffs. Parcells took a Cowboys team to the playoffs in his first year, only to fail to make the playoffs in consecutive years (while never winning more than nine games afterward).

Actually, I compared your impaired, knee-jerk judgement of Singletary and York to those of fans after the '79 and '80 seasons.

The fact that you've brought up a coaching tree as relevant materials leads me to believe you've missed the point of my post.

Walsh was involved as an NFL assistant coach or college coach for 15 years before getting hired by the Niners. Singletary was a LB coach for Nolan who also said he didnt want to draft Willis.

The hiring of Bill Walsh was heavily criticized in the Bay Area. His one season as an NFL Coordinator was a disaster (he had Dan Fouts and Charlie Joiner on that team).

Quote:
Singletary famously whiffed the first time he watched Patrick Willis' college game films, going so far as to discourage the pick. Less remembered is that Singletary changed his mind after hearing more about the player's background: Willis grew up with an abusive father and served as the caretaker of his younger siblings. Willis dedicated his final season at Mississippi to his brother, Detris, who drowned at age 17, and promptly led the SEC in tackles. "That's when I knew we had something special,'' Singletary said.

You're going off topic when discussing Singletary. This isn't the fire Singletary thread. As noted previously, I'm simply advocating for the allowance of Singletary to finish the season without interruption.

It's nice to see you've watched the games, what with you knowing the correct record of the team and all.

i think someone needs to get laid.

Quote:

LOL

So it doesnt bother you that Singletary, a LB himself, couldnt tell from game film that Willis was going to be good? He can't even dissect game film of the position he played as a professional, yet we expect him to dissect game film of an entire team in preparation of games?

My point is, if we had the option of hiring Parcells this moment, Singletary should get the biggest boot up his ass.

Parcells doesnt have a history of hiring incompetent fools like Nolan, Singletary, Donahue, Erickson, Raye.....

If anything Parcells would help Jed York hire a competent coaching staff.

Anyone who thinks not hiring Parcells to replace Singletary or Jed York is on some really good stuff and I would love to smoke it
Share 49ersWebzone