There are 196 users in the forums

St. Louis Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Man Bradford is good. They own the division for the next 10 years. We are in big trouble.

It appears they will win the division.

assuming the niners win this one..

SEA 5-6 ; just came off a horrible home loss to the Chiefs.. I think they will beat CAR at home, we will beat them at home they will lose to ATL and TB and lose to the Rams
prediction: 6-10

STL 5-6 ; just had a statement game beating Denver in Denver is pretty tough for a weak nfc west team. they will lose to AZ lose at NO lose vs us and KC and win vs SEA

SF 4-7 ; assuming we beat AZ, we will lose @ GB beat SEA, lose at SD then beat STL and AZ
prediction: 7-9

AZ 3-8 they will be at the bottom of the division at the end of the season. wont wast my time analyzing.

this is the best case scenario..

but right now..

STL looks like the most complete, competetive most consistent QB team..
SEA and SF will duke it out
AZ is horrible
The only winnable games for the 49ers are the two AZ games...and that is not a sure thing.

Seattle has a better defense and can throw the ball more consistently than SF. Don't be fooled by what KC did to them yesterday. KC is a very good, very complete football team. Seattle will beat the 49ers again.

The Rams are becoming a very good team. They will beat the 49ers next time.

Big problem is that the Cardinals are the only bottom dweller that needs a QB more than the 49ers. Hence, even if the 49ers do beat AZ twice and wind up 5-11, AZ is still worse and gets the earlier pick.
Originally posted by dj43:
Man Bradford is good. They own the division for the next 10 years. We are in big trouble.

SEA 5-6 ; just came off a horrible home loss to the Chiefs.. I think they will beat CAR at home, we will beat them at home they will lose to ATL and TB and lose to the Rams

STL 5-6 ; just had a statement game beating Denver in Denver is pretty tough for a weak nfc west team. they will lose to AZ lose at NO lose vs us and KC and win vs SEA

SF 4-7 ; assuming we beat AZ, we will lose @ GB beat SEA, lose at SD then beat STL and AZ

AZ 3-8 they will be at the bottom of the division at the end of the season. wont wast my time analyzing.

but right now..

AZ is horrible
The only winnable games for the 49ers are the two AZ games...and that is not a sure thing.

Seattle has a better defense and can throw the ball more consistently than SF. Don't be fooled by what KC did to them yesterday. KC is a very good, very complete football team. Seattle will beat the 49ers again.

Big problem is that the Cardinals are the only bottom dweller that needs a QB more than the 49ers. Hence, even if the 49ers do beat AZ twice and wind up 5-11, AZ is still worse and gets the earlier pick.

f**k! This is what happens when a team has passes it's window to rebuild. Sooner or later, the other crappy teams get their turn and we end up being a year or 2 too late.

f**k our s**tty organization.
Originally posted by Joecool:
f**k! This is what happens when a team has passes it's window to rebuild. Sooner or later, the other crappy teams get their turn and we end up being a year or 2 too late.

• dj43

but right now..

AZ is horrible

It all comes down to coaching. You can "rebuild" and draft all you want but if the coaching staff is not capable of developing what you draft, you don't know where you stand.

Personally I think the 49ers have .500 talent, even at QB. The problem has been failure to develop that talent. Now to move above that level...

but right now..

AZ is horrible

It all comes down to coaching. You can "rebuild" and draft all you want but if the coaching staff is not capable of developing what you draft, you don't know where you stand.

Personally I think the 49ers have .500 talent, even at QB. The problem has been failure to develop that talent. Now to move above that level...

Not to mention pregame and in game strategy.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Once again it's all about your qb.
  • dj43
Originally posted by lamontb:

No, it is not about the QB...and the Rams are a perfect example of why it is NOT all about the QB. It is about coaching. Pat Shurmur has carefully built the Ram offense around what Sam Bradford was able to do, and at the rate he was capable of executing it. He brought him along slowly and gave him new bits as he mastered the previous ones. The Shurmur offense is a VERY user-friendly version of the WCO, and it has allowed Bradford to get comfortable at one level before moving on.

Shurmur is a rising star in the coaching ranks. In addition to sending McNabb to 3 Pro Bowls in 5 years as QB coach, he has won games with Koy Detmer and AJ Feeley - neither of which will confuse anyone with Joe Montana.

I'm not saying Bradford is without talent, rather I am merely pointing out how much difference a quality position coach can have on players with a broad range of existing abilities.

No, it is not about the QB...and the Rams are a perfect example of why it is NOT all about the QB. It is about coaching. Pat Shurmur has carefully built the Ram offense around what Sam Bradford was able to do, and at the rate he was capable of executing it. He brought him along slowly and gave him new bits as he mastered the previous ones. The Shurmur offense is a VERY user-friendly version of the WCO, and it has allowed Bradford to get comfortable at one level before moving on.

Shurmur is a rising star in the coaching ranks. In addition to sending McNabb to 3 Pro Bowls in 5 years as QB coach, he has won games with Koy Detmer and AJ Feeley - neither of which will confuse anyone with Joe Montana.

I'm not saying Bradford is without talent, rather I am merely pointing out how much difference a quality position coach can have on players with a broad range of existing abilities.

I will give you Shurmer but Bradford has shown more ability in terms of accuracy and quickness of release and decision-making than any QB we have had with the short pass.

I think our QB's are just easy to game plan against as they have more weaknesses than most. Our current QB's main weakness is lack of experience in the system.

True, but with all that said if you insert A Smith for Bradford and the Rams aren't this good b/c A smith isn't as good. Give the Packers A. Smith and he's not gonna make the throws you seen A. Rodgers make yesterday b/c he isn't as talented. Give Shurmur Aj Feeley and Koy Detmer full time all those years instead of McNabb and he wouldn't have been as successful. It goes hand in hand. But at the end of the day it's about how good your qb is. Everything you said about Shurmur only applies b/c Bradford is talented enough to understand and has the poise to go out there and execute. Not to mention his physical tools and accuracy are off the charts. Shurmur puts him good position to make plays and has set him up well to be successful. But he isn't on the field. At the end of the day it comes down to how good he can play. Now it is important to have a smart OC who will help the qb succeed. But at the end of the day if the guys good regardless of OC he will shine through. Just look around the league. All the great teams have great qb play. all the average teams have average qb play, and all the bad teams have bad qb play.

• dj43

I will give you Shurmer but Bradford has shown more ability in terms of accuracy and quickness of release and decision-making than any QB we have had with the short pass.

I think our QB's are just easy to game plan against as they have more weaknesses than most. Our current QB's main weakness is lack of experience in the system.
The problem is that we cannot roll back the clock on Alex Smith to see what he might have become had he started under Shurmur, or someone like him. In addition to Shurmur, the Rams have more overall talent than the 49ers when Alex first came out.

The problem is that we cannot roll back the clock on Alex Smith to see what he might have become had he started under Shurmur, or someone like him. In addition to Shurmur, the Rams have more overall talent than the 49ers when Alex first came out.

Not by much. I've already posted the stats.
  • dj43

True, but with all that said if you insert A Smith for Bradford and the Rams aren't this good b/c A smith isn't as good. Give the Packers A. Smith and he's not gonna make the throws you seen A. Rodgers make yesterday b/c he isn't as talented. Give Shurmur Aj Feeley and Koy Detmer full time all those years instead of McNabb and he wouldn't have been as successful. It goes hand in hand. But at the end of the day it's about how good your qb is. Everything you said about Shurmur only applies b/c Bradford is talented enough to understand and has the poise to go out there and execute. Not to mention his physical tools and accuracy are off the charts. Shurmur puts him good position to make plays and has set him up well to be successful. But he isn't on the field. At the end of the day it comes down to how good he can play. Now it is important to have a smart OC who will help the qb succeed. But at the end of the day if the guys good regardless of OC he will shine through. Just look around the league. All the great teams have great qb play. all the average teams have average qb play, and all the bad teams have bad qb play.
There are quite a few holes and exceptions to your position but I won't take the time with all of them. Palmer is an average QB on a lousy team. McNabb is an above average QB on a below average team. Peyton looked terrible last night because his supporting cast is junk right now due to injury. His rating was 51 with 4 picks.

I am unalterably of the opinion that Alex Smith would have been a much better QB now if he had been given something decent to start with. There are many examples of this but I'll give you just one: Matthew Stafford and Sam Bradford. One has a solid OC with a decent OL and the other has junk. Bradford is doing acceptably well for a rookie. His rating is 81 which puts him at #21 in the league.

We can't sit around and criticize Singletary for not doing a better job of coaching this team without also recognizing how that poor coaching has held back individual players. Same goes for Nolan.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
ever since last night ive been getting facebook messages, texts, etc of something similar to this

"rams first place!! woo! sam bradford > joe montana! woo! 1st place!"

One thing is for sure: they have one badass defensive end in Long. I really hope A. Davis develops into a top tier Tackle.
Share 49ersWebzone