There are 174 users in the forums

Would you want a President of Football Operations to hire a HC instead of Jed?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I would love for Jed to get his head out of his ass and hire a Parcells/Holmgrin type that could do a great job of hiring people they know will be successful. They could hire a GM and HC that would go along with their philosophy. That would be awesome if we could steal Mooch as the Pres of Football Ops then maybe he could make Mornhinweg as our HC, and they could get a good GM and we would all be reunited and it would feel so good.

It doesn't have to be the example I gave, it would be nice if all three positions were filled by people on the Bill Walsh tree.

Anyways why everyone is worried about a new HC, I think you need to aim hire, and we need to start with a new GM , experience in all positions, and the top down model, because the bottom up model hasn't worked well the last 6-8 years.

[ Edited by global_nomad on Oct 16, 2010 at 20:57:57 ]
Maybe but I'd rather just hire John Gruden.
Yes. I do not understand how anyone has anything more than an ambivalent view towards Jed. I like that he seems to give a s**t about the team, but I don't like him being so involved and vocal. I don't think he knows what he's doing.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
York and Marathe are too power hungry to give a guy like Parcells all the power in terms of player personnel.

We don't even have a f**king GM for crying out loud.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Yes. I do not understand how anyone has anything more than an ambivalent view towards Jed. I like that he seems to give a s**t about the team, but I don't like him being so involved and vocal. I don't think he knows what he's doing.

In what way do you think he is involved and vocal? I don't think he has much input in personnel decisions at all. And if anything, he's anti-vocal.

Hiring a Homlgren/Parcells football Czar is overrated. It's not like the Browns and Dolphins are suddenly heading for the Superbowl.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

In what way do you think he is involved and vocal? I don't think he has much input in personnel decisions at all. And if anything, he's anti-vocal.

Hiring a Homlgren/Parcells football Czar is overrated. It's not like the Browns and Dolphins are suddenly heading for the Superbowl.

-9fA

Well, hiring a former HC and making him the 'football czar' hasn't worked for those teams. But just about every good team does have a really good GM or president running the front office and making the decisions.

I think we need a real team president like that, but I'd like for that person to have front office experience, not just coaching experience.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

-9fA

Way too early to tell for the Browns, and last I checked, Parcells turned a 1-15 team, immediately into an 11-5 team and they have been a solid/good team since. Doesn't help that they have the Pats and Jets in their division. If the Dolphins were in the NFC West? Forget about it!

[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Oct 17, 2010 at 07:08:52 ]

-9fA

Now that I think about it, I think a lot of my opinion of Jed is based on some assumptions, which isn't fair, I guess, but, still, i really, really didn't like his "guarantee" and I have the suspicion that he is overly involved with some of singletary's decisions. In any event, I think he needs someone with real football experience to organize things. It's not a cure-all, sure, but we have very little experience, from ownership down to head coach (not to mention the fact that we don't have a true GM), and I think we need it.

I think that Jed COULD be a very good owner, and he is much better than his dad. but i still don't understand why he has "support" on the 'zone.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

-9fA

Way too early to tell for the Browns, and last I checked, Parcells turned a 1-15 team, immediately into an 11-5 team and they have been a solid/good team since. Doesn't help that they have the Pats and Jets in their division. If the Dolphins were in the NFC West? Forget about it!

Agreed, it is far too early to tell with Cleveland and in Miami, Parcells has really helped re-shape that football team and they have a good load of young talent to continue to build on.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:

-9fA

Agreed, it is far too early to tell with Cleveland and in Miami, Parcells has really helped re-shape that football team and they have a good load of young talent to continue to build on.

I would love to have Parcells and Baalke build this team.

-9fA

I would love to have Parcells and Baalke build this team.

x2

-9fA

exactly when those two guys took over their rosters were decimated with talent. Whoever comes here will have some talent to work with although we probably need to get quicker and faster.
Paraag: "After an exhaustive research project like I learned in grad school the Niners have concluded that Paraag Maraathe is the the best candidate!"

Jed: "Can we go play with Legos when we are done with Madden Paraag? I'm getting bored."

-9fA

Whoah, I knew I had an unpopular opinion.

If it's way too early on the Browns, why exactly are people already giving Holmgren the benefit of the doubt? Is he good till he's been proven bad? In as much, Holmgren in his prior stint as GM-HC was stripped of his GM duties.

I credit Parcells for turning around the Dolphins in the year that they went from 1-15 to 11-5. That's a great turnaround. While sure the Dolphins play in a tough division, but it's not as if they've won themselves a wildcard into the playoffs either. Again, I don't think one season is enough to show that he's good.

-9fA
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

-9fA

Well, hiring a former HC and making him the 'football czar' hasn't worked for those teams. But just about every good team does have a really good GM or president running the front office and making the decisions.

I think we need a real team president like that, but I'd like for that person to have front office experience, not just coaching experience.

I can agree with you there to an extent. Although I do think that Baalke has done a good job in making personnel moves in the draft and in FA - at least as much as you can say at this point in the season, I do think that he has some potential to do well.

So in that regard, it will be interesting to see what moves he makes in QB and HC after this season.

Basically in summary, football people in the front office? Yes. Big name splash hires such as Holmgren and Parcells? A tad overrated.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone