There are 159 users in the forums

If Cowboys fire Wade Phillps, do we have a new DC?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Dudes usually been money with his defense and is good with the 3-4.

Cowboys are ranked 8th right now

Since 1995 out of the teams he;s coached all of his teams have been in top 10 with the exception of 4 (two SD teams at 13th and 18th, ATL was rebuilding)

I dont think he will get another head coaching job in the immediate future if he gets fired.

I think he would be better than Mansuky
Does he know how to defend the screen pass? If so, yes
I sure hope so, better to get the real thing than have a cheap imitation like we do in Manusky
I honestly think that DC is pretty low on our list of coaching needs. I would put it around the bottom, actually. Manusky and Tomsula are about the only two coaches we have that I think are doing a really good job.

HC or OC, on the other hand, I would be open to suggestions on....
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I honestly think that DC is pretty low on our list of coaching needs. I would put it around the bottom, actually. Manusky and Tomsula are about the only two coaches we have that I think are doing a really good job.

but if you can upgrade at any position, need or not, you take it

I don't think they're doing a very good job. Our D is ranked like 26th in the league and we just made Kevin Kolb look like Mike Vick. We give up an average of like 28 PPG. We have been burned by screen passes over and over again for the last 2-3 years. We fail to manufacture a pass rush unless we go against an offensive line playing atleast 2-3 back ups and we don't create very many turnovers.

I'd be for Wade Phillips but I really think when Sing gets dumped that we should go to the 4-3. It's easier to build around a MLB that way and the players are easier to find. You don't need a Demarcus Ware or a James Harrison or Clay Matthews in a 4-3, while you do for the most part in a 3-4. Certain DL don't fit in the 3-4, guys in the 275-290 range or guys that could be pass rushers in a 4-3 like a Haynesworth wind up being run stoppers in the 3-4. Or just look at a guy like Aaron Kampman who was good in a 4-3 and then when he has to line up as a LB he can't rush the passer anymore. If you have Harrison or Ware or even a cover corner to shut down the pass like a Revis then cool, otherwise switch your D. You can still bring different blitzes and stuff in the 4-3, just look at the Eagles.
I think our defense, including our coaches, are extremely overrated, and as a DC Phillips would be an upgrade. Not so sure how well he'd do under Singletary's rule, though, and I'd NEVER want Phillips as our HC.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

I don't think bringing someone in from the outside midseason is going to help. That's something you do when things are really terrible.

Since there's a good chance Sing gets fired after this year we'll probably be replacing our coordinators then. I don't think we need to do that now as well.

Also, I think the turnovers are skewing the D's stats and rank.

I don't think bringing someone in from the outside midseason is going to help. That's something you do when things are really terrible.

Since there's a good chance Sing gets fired after this year we'll probably be replacing our coordinators then. I don't think we need to do that now as well.

Wade taught Manusky. Why have the pupil when you can have the master? Wade Phillips is one of the best 3-4 DC's in the entire NFL imo. Labeau, Capers, Phillips and in that order imo.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:

Wade taught Manusky. Why have the pupil when you can have the master? Wade Phillips is one of the best 3-4 DC's in the entire NFL imo. Labeau, Capers, Phillips and in that order imo.

Us hiring Wade would be like the Dolphins hiring Mike Nolan. Plus, it would nice to have an Asst. HC/DC on the staff with actual playoff coaching experience.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I don't think they're doing a very good job. Our D is ranked like 26th in the league and we just made Kevin Kolb look like Steve Young. We give up an average of like 28 PPG. We have been burned by screen passes over and over again for the last 2-3 years. We fail to manufacture a pass rush unless we go against an offensive line playing atleast 2-3 back ups and we don't create very many turnovers.

I'd be for Wade Phillips but I really think when Sing gets dumped that we should go to the 4-3. It's easier to build around a MLB that way and the players are easier to find. You don't need a Demarcus Ware or a James Harrison or Clay Matthews in a 4-3, while you do for the most part in a 3-4. Certain DL don't fit in the 3-4, guys in the 275-290 range or guys that could be pass rushers in a 4-3 like a Haynesworth wind up being run stoppers in the 3-4. Or just look at a guy like Aaron Kampman who was good in a 4-3 and then when he has to line up as a LB he can't rush the passer anymore. If you have Harrison or Ware or even a cover corner to shut down the pass like a Revis then cool, otherwise switch your D. You can still bring different blitzes and stuff in the 4-3, just look at the Eagles.

fixed
Wade Philips for DC and get an offensive minded HC we can finally utilize all the wasted talent on this team.
if it comes to that, i would be happy with Phillips as the DC.
Wade Phillips can usually generate sacks, but with us we hardly create any turnovers. A couple of weeks ago against the Texans one of our ILB's got a pick. It was the first one by an ILB since 2006. So don't expect a lot of turnovers if you guys get him.
Originally posted by Homo4Romo:
Wade Phillips can usually generate sacks, but with us we hardly create any turnovers. A couple of weeks ago against the Texans one of our ILB's got a pick. It was the first one by an ILB since 2006. So don't expect a lot of turnovers if you guys get him.

I feel the current cowboy difference is different than the Charger one of a few years back. Granted Merriman was juicing it... but man o man that Def. was no joke.
Share 49ersWebzone