LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Carson Palmer a Raider Update Pg 48

Shop 49ers game tickets
Well they can use the next 2 years to find a GM because they dont need to worry about next years draft.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
Carson Palmer sucked. The only saving grace here is that Carson sucked because he didn't give a s**t about the Bengals, which is entirely possible.

Yeah that's possible but now that he's been sitting on his ass for half a year It's also possible that he simply sucks now lol. We'll see I guess.
HAHA...Get up Carson...We need ya!!!
Maybe this will steal the headlines and help put us back under the radar.
Great deal for the Bengals. They're already a pretty good team, surprisingly, with some great young pieces, and they've been drafting well. This was a steal for them.
Yeah, the TRaiders gave up too much for Palmer, but he's waaay better than injured Campbell ever could be. It's a good move for a proven QB...if he stays injured-free and puts up good numbers in Oakland. This trade reminds me of the Falcons trading what...5 draft picks to the Browns to move up for WR Jones (who hasn't done much so far and is injured). Trades like that could really set their team back if it doesn't work out. I would've liked Palmer, but oh well. I won't be rooting for him now.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Holy s**t
mortreport Chris Mortensen
The 2013 pick is a conditional - it can become a first rounder based on playtime, other incentives. Plus the 2012 first rounder

Man, that's alot to give up.
This move will cripple the Raiders. It will take Palmer weeks (at minimum) to get into "football" shape and to learn their offense. I'd be shocked if he stays healthy himself.

Plus they are now on the hook for his salary, AND I'm pretty sure they still owe a bunch to Campbell. With now essentially no draft next year and likely to lose their first rounder in 2013 as well, this team is toast.

They would have been much better off getting a VY or Orton for less, keeping their first rounders and going forward with Campbell if/when he can play again. Just yesterday they were saying he might be back in 6 weeks.

This is a desperate move about ego. Looks like Al's son will continue the Oakland insanity. Congratulations, you proved you could "force" Brown to change his mind and trade Palmer. All it cost you was any chance your franchise had to compete for the next few years.

Good Job!
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
This move will cripple the Raiders. It will take Palmer weeks (at minimum) to get into "football" shape and to learn their offense. I'd be shocked if he stays healthy himself.

Plus they are now on the hook for his salary, AND I'm pretty sure they still owe a bunch to Campbell. With now essentially no draft next year and likely to lose their first rounder in 2013 as well, this team is toast.

They would have been much better off getting a VY or Orton for less, keeping their first rounders and going forward with Campbell if/when he can play again. Just yesterday they were saying he might be back in 6 weeks.

This is a desperate move about ego. Looks like Al's son will continue the Oakland insanity. Congratulations, you proved you could "force" Brown to change his mind and trade Palmer. All it cost you was any chance your franchise had to compete for the next few years.

Good Job!

Well they play KC this week and then have a Bye week. Palmer is already in the bay area taking a physical so im sure he will get a playbook at some point today and will have like 20 days before he plays against the Broncos.

Palmer is reworking his contract as well, plus Jason Cambell is a FA after this year so no worries there. The 2013 isnt a automatic 1st. its a 2nd that could become a 1st based on playing time and other incentives, we dont know what those other incentives are or how easily attainable they are.

mortreport Chris Mortensen
Conditional pick in 2013 is 1st rounder if Raiders win 1 playoff game or it's a 2nd rounder. Still get the 1st rounder next April.
Raiders are idiots. Probably a 1st rounder for Palmer? WOW
Originally posted by GEEK:
If you ignore the compensation terms, acquring Palmer is a very good move for the Raiders if Jackson can base the offense on his strengths.

They finally get their franchise QB for 3-4 seasons, and Palmer will allow Pryor to acclimate to the NFL more progressively.

Now taking the compensation into consideration, trading two potential 1st round picks is awful unless you are trading for a proven QB with many years left in the NFL. There are way too many question marks with Palmer to justify this trade. Bengals got the better deal.

I don't think Palmer's a franchise QB, personally. He had a couple of really good years about 4 years ago.
It's a bit crazy on the Raiders part, not having a draft next year. But on the other hand, they don't have a GM either. Who would make their draft picks, Amy Trask? Al Davis Junior?

Probably Hue Jackson would, but do you want to put that much power in the hands of a coach? So this gives them a short term fix and time to sort out their front office. Which will be a long process. And if the Hue-Carson combo fizzles in the next two years, they get in a high powered GM, who then gets a high powered coach. They could even get Gruden back. Shanahan. It's totally wide open.

Let's face it, being the GM of the Raiders and filling those HUGE shoes would be a mighty challenge and there are high quality guys out there who like challenges like that. It's like Harbaugh, who sounds confident he can live up to the legendary legacy of Walsh and he is going to try his absolute hardest to do it or bleed red and gold trying, and you got to love that about him.

Good times, good times.
The Raiders FO made Mike Brown look like a genius for obstinately refusing to trade Palmer earlier. He managed to financially punish Palmer for missing out part of the season, got a surprise gift in Dalton, and then made the Raiders pay through the nose for Palmer. Palmer is 34. How many years does he have left?
Share 49ersWebzone