There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Polian says "18 game season is fait accompli"

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ae4142/article/colts-polian-considers-18game-nfl-season-fait-accompli?module=HP_headlines

INDIANAPOLIS -- Bill Polian says the 18-game NFL season is a done deal.

During Monday night's weekly radio show, the Indianapolis Colts' president called it a "fait accompli" and said the debate is over. Polian is a member of the league's competition committee and has worked in the league office.

Polian is concerned that getting rid of two preseason games to expand the regular season from 16 to 18 games will cost coaches and team officials opportunities to evaluate rookies. The solution, Polian said, might be hooking up with nearby teams for combined practices or controlled scrimmages.

League owners and the commissioner have expressed support for an expanded regular-season schedule, but they haven't said a decision has been made.

Even though it's a drag to sit through 4 weeks of meaningless football, I feel like extending the season by 2 weeks will be bad for the player's healths, meaningfulness of each game as teams can afford to lose more and the season records will probably be shattered more.
any thoughts?
I am ok with this if you give each team 2 bye weeks, expand rosters, and things of that nature. Although I wouldn't call the pre season meaningless. It's a good chance to get your starters warmed up and evaluate backups/rookies for deciding who makes the roster. 4 games is too many but 2 is probably to little. Either way 2 games doesn't leave a whole lot of time for the starters to get ready for the season and for rookies/backups to show what they got. Maybe allowing an extra 10 players helps because then you can keep rookies/players you would normally cut or not get much of a chance to check out.

Edit: I kind of like the idea of the controlled scrimmages but not sure they would be a good enough substitute for an actual game. Plus it's not like players can't get hurt in a scrimmage.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 27, 2010 at 5:39 PM ]
reduce the pre-season to two games?
Quote:
Polian is concerned that getting rid of two preseason games to expand the regular season from 16 to 18 games will cost coaches and team officials opportunities to evaluate rookies.

I guess that would be a strategic decision that every team will have to make for themselves. risk losing a game to evaluate rookies, or play your starters and go for the win.
I'm against the 18 game season. I personally like the way that the schedule currently is.

I feel that what makes the NFL special is that it only has a small limited number of games.

-9fA
I believe Mark Schlereth said it best on NFL Live, he said something about having an 18 game season is fine but you have to increase roster size and also said that you have to be able to have enough players on roster so the special teams has a full roster that does not have any starters on it...

If this is true then the NFL owners are going to have to carry more players on the roster, unless of course they dont care about the players.... which would be true.
I doubt the players union will agree to an 18 game season without there being a benefit to the NFL players as well. If the NFL goes to 18 games without the owners having to pay for more players, then the owners win big time. They get their cake and eat it too.

I prefer the 16 game season as well, but I could get used to the 18 game season if teams are allowed to keep more players on the total roster and more players on the active roster. I like the idea of having a dedicated team of special teamers so that your starters don't have to.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I'm against the 18 game season. I personally like the way that the schedule currently is.

I feel that what makes the NFL special is that it only has a small limited number of games.

-9fA
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
I doubt the players union will agree to an 18 game season without there being a benefit to the NFL players as well. If the NFL goes to 18 games without the owners having to pay for more players, then the owners win big time. They get their cake and eat it too.

I prefer the 16 game season as well, but I could get used to the 18 game season if teams are allowed to keep more players on the total roster and more players on the active roster. I like the idea of having a dedicated team of special teamers so that your starters don't have to.