LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dmax:
now Im hearing deep talks of gruden going to cleveland

anyone but harbaugh

as far as an oc....Gary Kubiak ..or charlie weiss....would be great

Gary Kubiak would be a one and done Turner type... he has had enough success that he would get rehired quickly, so he would be off my list. Charlie Weiss is already doing a good job in KC so we have no shot at him.
Unless the Yorks hire a real GM first and let him hire a HC and assistants, the future holds nothing but FAILURE!!!
  • cools
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Unless the Yorks hire a real GM first and let him hire a HC and assistants, the future holds nothing but FAILURE!!!

I remember that recent interview Ralph did with Eddie D'
Eddie seemed to emphasize the need for a GM, and im sure he's in Jed's ear about it

weather we hire a GM or HC first, I think there is a good chance the two will have already worked together or know each other

DeCosta's name is starting to pop around here for good reason.
as Ozzies assistant in Baltimore, he's learned from one of the very best,
Ive read his strength is player evaluation, so maybe Parage could still have his bean counter job, but DeCosta would have final say on the roster makeup

Two possible leading candidates for our HC job ..Harbaugh and Billick both have connections with him, though much more so with Billick

I have a feeling its going to be Billick and DeCosta running this team
with them retaining Johnson as the OC
bringing in soon to be unemployed Marvin Lewis to run the D'
and the the Cinci ST coach Simmons
Originally posted by cools:

Eddie seemed to emphasize the need for a GM, and im sure he's in Jed's ear about it

weather we hire a GM or HC first, I think there is a good chance the two will have already worked together or know each other

Ive read his strength is player evaluation, so maybe Parage could still have his bean counter job, but DeCosta would have final say on the roster makeup

Two possible leading candidates for our HC job ..Harbaugh and Billick both have connections with him, though much more so with Billick

So you're saying Ravens West?
Originally posted by PTulini:

And Troy Smith at QB?

May as well keep Sing as the LBs coach then....

Actually that whole plan doesn't sound terrible to me. It's not my top choice, but its sounds a whole lot more experienced, professional, and cohesive than what we have now.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

And Troy Smith at QB?

Actually that whole plan doesn't sound terrible to me. It's not my top choice, but its sounds a whole lot more experienced, professional, and cohesive than what we have now.

If we keep Sing, it might be wiser to just bring Mike Nolan back as the DC.

It's within our best intentions to just bring in every reject/loser/retread from the last 5 years of ex-49er/Ravens coaching dominance!
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Dec 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

And Troy Smith at QB?

It's within our best intentions to just bring in every reject/loser/retread from the last 5 years of ex-49er/Ravens coaching dominance!

This is making me angry.
Originally posted by sincalniner:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

And Troy Smith at QB?

This is making me angry.

I say wipe the slate clean and start over. The only coaches that I would consider keeping are:

- RB's Coach, Tom Rathman (especially if we go back to the WCO)
- Offensive Line Coach, Mike Solari
- Asst. Offensive Line Coach, Ray Brown

why the hell does everyone want to get rid of Baalke?

The guy has done more in 6 months then McDib$#it did in 5 years
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
We really need a FOOTBALL person running this team... The thing that troubles me is if the York's will actually bring someone like that in, you would think at this point we would be hearing names and we really haven't... Holmgren was hired in late December, unlike a coach you don't have to wait till the off season to hire a team president or GM. If we wait till the off season and then hire a GM who would hire the coach (i really do not want our next coach bringing in their GM) then we could lose out on coaches, while we wait to find a GM.

I say wipe the slate clean and start over. The only coaches that I would consider keeping are:

- RB's Coach, Tom Rathman (especially if we go back to the WCO)
- Offensive Line Coach, Mike Solari
- Asst. Offensive Line Coach, Ray Brown

Agreed. -I want Jerry Sullivan fired so bad it's not even funny anymore, the guy is trash, and he'll never develop anything (even) close to that of a 3-star WR.

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

why the hell does everyone want to get rid of Baalke?

The guy has done more in 6 months then McDib$#it did in 5 years

We don't exactly wish to rid him, I think (generally) what fans would prefer is a 'mastermind' behind the front office walls, (a 'foot-ball' guy) to take care of business, and bring the right coaches/players in.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Dec 23, 2010 at 18:41:22 ]
Quote:
Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh still feels the influence of Bill Walsh

By Cam Inman [email protected]

Posted: 12/18/2010 08:42:17 PM PST
Updated: 12/18/2010 11:22:19 PM PST

Bill Walsh nobly sat off to the side in Kissick Auditorium, there to usher in Stanford football's rebirth under new coach Jim Harbaugh.

"I look forward to these visions of sitting around a tape projector, a video machine with Coach Walsh and talking football," Harbaugh said at his introductory news conference four years ago today.

Walsh died before Harbaugh coached his first game for Stanford. But Walsh's fingerprints made it onto one final football program, an inspirational link that hasn't been forgotten since his July 30, 2007, death from leukemia.

"We have a picture of him in our football office," offensive coordinator David Shaw said. "Every day, I pass by it, and I miss him. The influence he had on offense is great. The influence he had on my life is great. The meetings I had one-on-one with him were priceless."

Such testimonials are commonplace about Walsh. He had a wonderful zest for life, as well as for football, of course.

Sandwiched between two tours of duty as Stanford's coach (1977-78, 1992-94) was his revolutionary decade (1979-88) with the 49ers. That off-campus sabbatical resulted in a Pro Football Hall of Fame career with three Super Bowl wins to kick off a dynasty. His West Coast offense altered the NFL landscape, as did his practice regimens and minority-hiring crusade.

One of Walsh's final displays of "genius" came when he helped athletic director Bob Bowlsby select Harbaugh, who inherited a 1-11 program.

"There've been times, all through my four years here, I felt Coach Walsh has been watching over the program," Harbaugh recently said. A couple of days later, he reiterated that quote and apologized if it sounded too sappy. (Nope, not if you knew Walsh.)

Stanford has skyrocketed to elite status. It takes an 11-1 record into its Jan. 3 matchup against Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl in South Florida. This is Stanford's best season since Walsh guided the 1992 team to a 10-3 mark and its own trip to Miami, where it beat Penn State 24-3 in the Blockbuster Bowl.

"I was just thinking of those times," said Shaw, a receiver on that 1992 team. "The biggest thing is the way Bill prepared us mentally, physically and emotionally to go down there, (to) think of it as a business trip and show who we are to the nation."

Stanford ranks fourth in the Bowl Championship Series. Harbaugh won the Woody Hayes Award as the nation's top coach. Quarterback Andrew Luck became Stanford's second straight Heisman Trophy runner-up.

Four years ago, Bowlsby was new to the Farm and sought advice from Walsh, who returned to Stanford's athletic department in 2004 after being foolishly phased out of the 49ers' front office.

"He and I spent a lot of time talking about the viability of Stanford football going forward, and whether or not that job could be done and done successfully," Bowlsby said. "He talked from his perspective of what made him, John Ralston and Ty Willingham successful at Stanford. As it got down to the end, there were some elements of risk hiring Jim. He hadn't been a head coach at our level."

But Harbaugh got the nod over James Lofton, who played on Walsh's initial Stanford team that reached the 1977 Sun Bowl. Harbaugh followed through on that vision to meet with Walsh, doing so 16 to 17 times in the ensuing months.

"I'd walk over to his office and sit sometimes for 2½ hours," Harbaugh said. "If he was being interviewed by a reporter or if players were visiting, I wouldn't say anything. I'd sit up against a wall and listen."

Harbaugh remembered having breakfasts with Walsh at a local restaurant, and watching film with him at the Stanford football office. "It got to the point I was taking notes, but I got a recorder like you (media) guys have," Harbaugh recalled.

Walsh's words still echo in Harbaugh's ears, such as: "The most important thing about a quarterback is his athletic instincts."

One of Harbaugh's first acts as Stanford coach was to recruit a star quarterback. That led him to Houston and Andrew Luck. When Luck visited Stanford in the spring of 2007, guess who greeted him: Walsh.

"We sat down in a room and he talked about a very specific part of football, nothing broad. It was about throwing while rolling out to the left," Luck recalled.

"I thought it was a little odd at the time how specific it was to a high school kid who didn't really know much," Luck added. "But I guess being at Stanford and hearing more about Bill Walsh, I wouldn't expect anything different."

Despite declining health, Walsh shared his wit and wisdom with all comers.

"Every chance he had to touch somebody's life on campus, I'd try to be there," Shaw said. "Every time, there would be a great nugget."

"He was a tremendous resource for Coach (Harbaugh) his first year," former quarterback Tavita Pritchard said. "Anything out of Bill Walsh's mouth was gold."

It was heartwarming to see Stanford's football players form an honor guard leading into Walsh's on-campus memorial. Some of those players represent this season's senior class.

"As he got ill, he gave away stuff," Bowlsby said. "One day he came in with a stack of books, mostly leadership and consulting books. One was 'The Essential Wooden.' I opened the dust jacket, and it was personally signed to Bill from John Wooden: 'Thank you for the impact you had on football and the difference you made on the world of sports.' Bill knew it was something I would treasure."

Link Here...

I think it's a great article and I wanted to share it with you guys.

[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 23, 2010 at 18:42:15 ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
We really need a FOOTBALL person running this team... The thing that troubles me is if the York's will actually bring someone like that in, you would think at this point we would be hearing names and we really haven't... Holmgren was hired in late December, unlike a coach you don't have to wait till the off season to hire a team president or GM. If we wait till the off season and then hire a GM who would hire the coach (i really do not want our next coach bringing in their GM) then we could lose out on coaches, while we wait to find a GM.

Sigh...........

Cleveland was able to name Holmgren president when they did because he was out of football. Which GM that is NOT under contract with another team should they rush to hire?

Your statement about hiring a GM couldn't be anymore false. You have to wait until the offseason if you are hiring an executive under contract with another team whether it's a promotion or a lateral move.
I know it's not perfect, but this is a rough idea of the coaching staff that I would like to see:

GM: Floyd Reese

Director of Player Personnel: Trent Baalke

HC: Jim Harbaugh (Stanford)

Asst. HC/Defense: Vic Fangio (Stanford)

OC: David Shaw (Stanford)

Offensive Assistant: Tim Drevno (Stanford)

QB coach: Nick Holz (Stanford)

RB coach: Tom Rathman (currently on staff)

WR coach: Larry Kirksey (Texans WR coach)

Offensive Line Coach: Mike Solari (currently on staff)

Asst. Offensive Line Coach: Ray Brown (currently on staff)

TE Coach: Pete Hoener (currently on staff)

DC: Ray Rhodes (Texans Senior Defensive Assist.)
I know it's not perfect, but this is a rough idea of the coaching staff that I would like to see:

GM: Floyd Reese

Director of Player Personnel: Trent Baalke

HC: Jim Harbaugh (Stanford)

Asst. HC/Defense: Vic Fangio (Stanford)

OC: David Shaw (Stanford)

Offensive Assistant: Tim Drevno (Stanford)

QB coach: Nick Holz (Stanford)

RB coach: Tom Rathman (currently on staff)

WR coach: Larry Kirksey (Texans WR coach)

Offensive Line Coach: Mike Solari (currently on staff)

Asst. Offensive Line Coach: Ray Brown (currently on staff)

TE Coach: Pete Hoener (currently on staff)

DC: Ray Rhodes (Texans Senior Defensive Assist.)

Stanford gonna be pissed!
Share 49ersWebzone