There are 232 users in the forums

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Let me again recommend Mike Mularkey.

-He was the Steelers' OC from 01-03, making Kordell Stewart a Pro Bowler and resurrecting Tommy Maddox's career.
-He was the Bills' HC for 04 and 05, leading them to a 9-7 record that 1st season. Pretty impressive considering the shape of that franchise.
-Since 08 he's been the Falcon's OC, helping develop Matt Ryan into one of the best young QBs in the league. And damn is that offense not impressive.
-One other note. He was a 9th round pick of the 49ers back in '83.

FWIW, Kordell was developed by Chan Gailey, and fared well under Gailey. Mularkey resurrected Stewart.

I think I'd be happy with Mularkey if the top candidates are recruited somewhere else.

-9fA
If he isn't retained in Dallas, What do you guys think about Jason Garrett?
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 19, 2010 at 10:15 AM ]
For some reason I have a tendency to lean towards guys with Bay Area/49ers ties. That means Gruden, Mornhinweg, Harbaugh (Bay Area ties + BW career path).

I don't like the idea of our HC having Patriots (Weis) or Cowboys (Garrett) "stink" on them as much.
Don't think I'd mind Mularkey
Jed is trying to get a stadium built. He's not putting his hopes in Mike Mularkey or Marty Morhinweg.
Let me again recommend Mike Mularkey.

-He was the Steelers' OC from 01-03, making Kordell Stewart a Pro Bowler and resurrecting Tommy Maddox's career.
-He was the Bills' HC for 04 and 05, leading them to a 9-7 record that 1st season. Pretty impressive considering the shape of that franchise.
-Since 08 he's been the Falcon's OC, helping develop Matt Ryan into one of the best young QBs in the league. And damn is that offense not impressive.
-One other note. He was a 9th round pick of the 49ers back in '83.

I like Mularkey as well. If I remember correctly, didn't he resign?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Jed is trying to get a stadium built. He's not putting his hopes in Mike Mularkey or Marty Morhinweg.

_______

Totally agree. They won't even be considered. Nor should they.

Jed has to make a big splash. He is a businessman, he knows this. Harbaugh or Gruden are the likely culprits. I'm sure he'll pay for Cowher, but my guess is Cowher wants to stay on the east coast.
Right now, Mike is not such a thrilling name. Seriously, somehow I feel its Harbaugh all the way.
Though wont be cheap, he should be cheaper than Gruden. That will work for Yorks.
I dont mean against him. I dont know him particularly well, anyway.
No matter, I hope getting to the playoff wont hurt the situation. (just in case)
I am sticking with Brian Schottenheimer. He made some great play calls today to pull off a win in Pittsburgh

BINGO! This is the most instrumental/rudimentary statement of this entire thread.

Jed wants to sell a stadium, needs money, NFL/Sponsorship/TV attention, and a s**tload of revenue...

All signs point to Jed and Gruden meeting at a shady location via helicopter checkpoint, with steel briefcases filled with un-marked 20's and 50's.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
All signs point to Jed and Gruden meeting at a shady location via helicopter checkpoint, with steel briefcases filled with un-marked 20's and 50's.

Originally posted by okdkid:

_______

Jed has to make a big splash. He is a businessman, he knows this. Harbaugh or Gruden are the likely culprits. I'm sure he'll pay for Cowher, but my guess is Cowher wants to stay on the east coast.

Why wouldn't he? If he's a good businessman, he's knows you don't overlook strong candidate, especially on the basis of not being "splashy" choices. I don't care if Lombardi's ghost is the next coach. If the team don't win, the support for a stadium (financially) won't be there.

If Jed's a smart businessman, he would understand the huge risks with giving total control to yet another coach. Gruden and Cowher would both demand this.

Unfortunately my faith in Jed York has yet to materialize. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but knowing how this team has been operated I just don't know. Gruden wouldn't shock me, actually. Unfortunately I have little faith in Gruden being able to develop a young QB and handle the entire roster-building duties.

Mike Mularkey and Marty Mornhinweg are 2 of the TOP head coaching candidates going into the offseason. Both have been tremendously successful as OCs (though Mornhinweg's involvement in playcalling in Philly is suspect). Both have also been head coaches before. The combo of experience, success, and familiarity with the best-ran organizations in the league vault them to the top of the list.

Too bad so many fans think the NFL works like Madden. Hiring the biggest name head coach and signing/trading for the top player at every position is NOT realistic.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:

_______

Why wouldn't he? If he's a good businessman, he's knows you don't overlook strong candidate, especially on the basis of not being "splashy" choices. I don't care if Lombardi's ghost is the next coach. If the team don't win, the support for a stadium (financially) won't be there.

If Jed's a smart businessman, he would understand the huge risks with giving total control to yet another coach. Gruden and Cowher would both demand this.

Unfortunately my faith in Jed York has yet to materialize. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but knowing how this team has been operated I just don't know. Gruden wouldn't shock me, actually. Unfortunately I have little faith in Gruden being able to develop a young QB and handle the entire roster-building duties.

Mike Mularkey and Marty Mornhinweg are 2 of the TOP head coaching candidates going into the offseason. Both have been tremendously successful as OCs (though Mornhinweg's involvement in playcalling in Philly is suspect). Both have also been head coaches before. The combo of experience, success, and familiarity with the best-ran organizations in the league vault them to the top of the list.

Too bad so many fans think the NFL works like Madden. Hiring the biggest name head coach and signing/trading for the top player at every position is NOT realistic.

________

I have no doubt they are fantastic football people. But they're not real head coaching candidates this offseason. They're just names people mention.

Jed needs to sell hope, season tickets and buy a stadium THIS offseason. Neither of those two guys will do that.

I'm not saying Gruden, Cowher or Harbaugh will do a better job. I'm saying they're the guys we'll hire. The fan base literally won't buy into the coaches you mentioned. That is all that matters.
To me, its down to Gruden, Harbaugh, and darkhorse Holmgren.

These 3 candidates are the most familiar faces in the Bay Area and to the general 49ers fan.

While Mularkey and Morhingweg are "good" candidates, they will be given a shorter leash to turn this franchise around, much like Singletary.

It will also be interesting to see what Jed's does with the GM job. Will he hire a GM or President of Football Operations to hire their own coach, or will Jed hire the HC first and find a GM later?
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
You learn something new everyday:

Quote:
"The days of head coaches being paid astronomical figures are numbered. Trust me — these owners are getting together. They are all going to be looking for young, up-and-coming coordinators. Those are the guys that are winning. They are looking for the next Mike Tomlin. The Steelers have the model everyone aspires for."

• "If Gary Kubiak gets fired, he'll be in high demand as an offensive coordinator. There is a shortage of good play-callers in the NFL. The biggest problem in Houston has been the defense. They have not been able to get it corrected. The secondary is anemic."

"The problem with big-name coaches like Jon Gruden and Bill Cowher is that they want to bring their own staff with them. They want personnel people they can control. Most places have personnel people in place, and are not looking to be run out of town. Owners are looking at the bottom line as closely as ever, and I could tell you right now how ours feels about the ransom these guys are commanding. They don't even want to hear about it. It's not an option."

"I don't think Jim Harbaugh will choose the NFL over Michigan. (The Wolverines) should have gone after him the last time around when some of the boosters were clamoring for him. Now they are going to have to make up for it. … I think he's in the same situation as Chip Kelly — you think he is going to make as much money in the pros as he will in college. Colleges are throwing it around more carelessly than the NFL nowadays. That's just my opinion."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/12/19/insider-eagles-comeback-one-for-ages
Share 49ersWebzone