There are 201 users in the forums

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Originally posted by SF69ers:
I still have Jim Harbaugh as #1 on my list as a possible HC for next year.

I'm listing Marty Mornhinweg as #2. I think he'd do very well with who we have on the offensive side of the ball

Gruden as #3.

I don't have Holmgren on the list because I don't think he'll come back to coaching just yet.

+1. Agreed.

I'm listing Marty Mornhinweg as #2. I think he'd do very well with who we have on the offensive side of the ball

Gruden as #3.

I don't have Holmgren on the list because I don't think he'll come back to coaching just yet.

I'm down with this list. I'd rather have a rising offensive coach than a retread (and no I don't count Mornhinweg as a retread).
Originally posted by NewEraNiner:

Gruden as #3.

I'm down with this list. I'd rather have a rising offensive coach than a retread (and no I don't count Mornhinweg as a retread).

Just curious...how is Mornhinweg not a retread?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Gruden as #3.

There's indeed a great amount of depth to that conversation. Mornhinweg had a horrible first-time stint as HC, and made a lot of questionable calls/decisions (out of poor maturity/ill-temper), coaching under a horrible organization run by Matt Millen (at helm of the team president/GM position).

Mornhinweg then entered the "Belichick" 'Odyssey' of coaching. Swallowed his pride, and went back to his mentor (Andy Reid), to grow/change (as a coordinator/assistant head coach). If you look at recent interviews/camp film he's not the same hot-tampered idiot he was when he was our OC/Lions HC, he's really matured as a human being, and as a coach under Andy Reid.

I seriously think Mornhinweg is an (offensive) Belichick waiting to happen (Marty's grown tons of knowledge/connections at Philly), he'll definitely be the hottest coaching prospect of 2011 for all the work he's done with Vick.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Dec 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM ]
NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora said yesterday on "Around the League" he expects the 49ers to fire Singletary no matter if the 49ers make the playoffs or not. Two names to keep an eye on are Stanford's Jim Harbaugh and former Raiders and Buccaneers HC Jon Gruden. He added a lot of it depends on compensation, likely $6-7 million a year, and a front office shake up!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Gruden as #3.

There's indeed a great amount of depth to that conversation. Mornhinweg had a horrible first-time stint as HC, and made a lot of questionable calls/decisions (out of poor maturity/ill-temper), coaching under a horrible organization run by Matt Millen (at helm of the team president/GM position).

Mornhinweg then entered the "Belichick" 'Odyssey' of coaching. Swallowed his pride, and went back to his mentor (Andy Reid), to grow/change (as a coordinator/assistant head coach). If you look at recent interviews/camp film he's not the same hot-tampered idiot he was when he was our OC/Lions HC, he's really matured as a human being, and as a coach under Andy Reid.

I seriously think Mornhinweg is an (offensive) Belichick waiting to happen (Marty's grown tons of knowledge/connections at Philly), he'll definitely be the hottest coaching prospect of 2011 for all the work he's done with Vick.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Seriously...not even close. Man Snake your post makes me want Mornhinweg even more. Lots of good coaching prospects this year. Hopefully the CBA stuff doesn't screw things up.

Gruden as #3.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Seriously...not even close. Man Snake your post makes me want Mornhinweg even more. Lots of good coaching prospects this year. Hopefully the CBA stuff doesn't screw things up.

Agreed..well put, Snake. I would also say the same about Charlie Weis to a lesser extent. Failing in a head-coaching role (especially a high profile one) after having great success as a coordinator is a very humbling experience, and could set one up nicely for much more success the next time around.

Gruden as #3.

Agreed..well put, Snake. I would also say the same about Charlie Weis to a lesser extent. Failing in a head-coaching role (especially a high profile one) after having great success as a coordinator is a very humbling experience, and could set one up nicely for much more success the next time around.

I would not be happy if we selected Charlie Weiss. Yuck. I'd much prefer that we go get a guy who has been an incredible success in college rather than one that failed miserably.

Jim Harbaugh has to be the guy.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Gruden as #3.

I would not be happy if we selected Charlie Weiss. Yuck. I'd much prefer that we go get a guy who has been an incredible success in college rather than one that failed miserably.

Jim Harbaugh has to be the guy.

I posted in this thread already that Harbaugh or Gruden should be the top choices...there's no doubt about it. My recommendation of Weis was only if the top guys are gone/uninterested.

Btw, there's already a track record in the NFL of coaches that had incredible success in college, but couldn't translate that into success in the pros. That doesn't mean Harbaugh should be discounted (on the contrary)...just means we should give incredible college success a little perspective.

Not to mention, a 35-27 record isn't necessarily failing miserably. It's failing to meet expectations, no doubt. But failing "miserably?" I think you're overstating the case here.

Clearly, Weis' downfall was his inability to recruit enough blue-chip prospects during his tenure to compete once the Willingham recruits graduated....however, when he had good players, he had very good records (9-3 in 2005, and 10-3 in 2006).

Couple his Notre Dame head coaching experience with the 4 years in New England (where he installed the offense Brady ultimately ran and won 3 world titles with) and his solid, turn-around season with KC...just looking at the facts, I don't see why people would discount him or respond with a "yuck."
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Gruden as #3.

I see nothing that shows Reid has ever "Mentored" Mornhinweg, they coached together but Reid was an offensive line coach then, not a place a rising offensive coach goes to learn offense. And "swallowed his pride"? He washed out as a head coach pretty badly, is it really surprising his friend Reid offered him a job, that he has done before, that just become open? Its not like he turned down head coaching jobs to go learn from Reid.

So because he seems calm in a few interviews that means he is ready to be a Head Coach again? I'm not saying your wrong, but not every flam out is destined to be a great head coach with his next job. If your going with that logic id rather hire Charlie Weis... at lest at when he was a head coach the offense was never the problem.
[ Edited by Jcool on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:16 PM ]

Let me again recommend Mike Mularkey.

-He was the Steelers' OC from 01-03, making Kordell Stewart a Pro Bowler and resurrecting Tommy Maddox's career.
-He was the Bills' HC for 04 and 05, leading them to a 9-7 record that 1st season. Pretty impressive considering the shape of that franchise.
-Since 08 he's been the Falcon's OC, helping develop Matt Ryan into one of the best young QBs in the league. And damn is that offense not impressive.
-One other note. He was a 9th round pick of the 49ers back in '83.
I like Gruden, he has NFL pffense experoence and he could work wonders with what we have. Gore, Davis, and Crabtree...The D is good...We need a consistent pressure in the QB, and an upgrade at CB
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:

-He was the Steelers' OC from 01-03, making Kordell Stewart a Pro Bowler and resurrecting Tommy Maddox's career.
-He was the Bills' HC for 04 and 05, leading them to a 9-7 record that 1st season. Pretty impressive considering the shape of that franchise.
-Since 08 he's been the Falcon's OC, helping develop Matt Ryan into one of the best young QBs in the league. And damn is that offense not impressive.

FWIW, Kordell was developed by Chan Gailey, and fared well under Gailey. Mularkey resurrected Stewart.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:

FWIW, Kordell was developed by Chan Gailey, and fared well under Gailey. Mularkey resurrected Stewart.

Well Kordell had his best statistical seasons under Mularkey.
Part of me still thinks Marty Mornhinweg is a definite possibility.
Share 49ersWebzone