LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Originally posted by ZRF80:
Is Mariucci even an option ? He turned a fallen dynasty into a playoff contender in 3 years.

That's been a reoccurring thought with me as of late. For all the s**t we did to Mooch, he's always defending this team in the media (when he doesn't even have to). -No doubt in my mind that if Jed amended the sins of his father, Mooch would gladly re-accept a HC job here.

Steve's proven more than enough throughout the media that he's still a sharp-thinking WCO-guru, but does he still have that fire left in him?

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 15, 2010 at 02:42:45 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SY9er8:
NOOOOOO>>>>>>>>

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/jon_gruden_to_cowboys_rumors_surfacing/3264061

Read up further in this thread. Gruden is highly overrated. I think we can do better.

I love how people point to coaches that have won superbowls and say they're overrated even though they can install their own offense and actually call plays while we have a coach who doesn't know any x's and o's whatsoever and he thinks his best attribute is "i hire people smarter than me". Seriously, we're not in the position to be calling any potential HC with a ring overrated.

Gruden is overrated, and the reasons why have been repeated ad nauseum in this thread. I'm guessing you missed that, so I'll repeat them again here:

-Yes, he's won a Super Bowl, but that was in 2002. Since, he's had two trips to the postseason, losing both times in the first round. This was my issue with Shanahan. I know the 'Zone loves these guys because their coaching roots lie in San Francisco and they run the WCO, but you have to look past the name and at the FACTS.

That is, they WERE winners at one point in time, but they are not anymore.

-He has never coached up a young QB, and I question if he even has the ability to do so. He's only won with established vets (Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Garcia). Since we will be drafting a QB next year, this is a MAJOR red flag to me.

-His ego could be an issue. If you're so much of a personality that Al Davis (of all people) can't deal with despite you winning games then that's something else to take a look at. Also, lets not forget that he benched Garcia not because of his performance, but because he simply didn't care for the guy.

When you consider that the team immediately tanked under Griese, I would say that was probably a bad idea. The players he coached in Tampa would agree:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/22/jeff-garcia-comments-on-jon-gruden-change-was-needed/

One thing this team does not need is another coach that lets his personal feelings interfere with the on-field product. Mike Nolan did this. Mike Singletary is doing this.

I don't know about you, but I don't care to see another egomaniac running this team.

-Furthermore, the point of my post wasn't to compare him against Singletary. That's just plain stupid. Anyone with half a brain could tell you that Gruden is a better coach than Singletary. Which isn't saying much, but still.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion but that won't change mine. Jon Gruden is not the right fit for San Francisco.

So who would you pick and why ? The first thing I think this team lacks is an identity. Ever since we tanked the WCO and brought in DErikkson, we've been searching for the perfect scheme to run on the offensive side of the ball. Once you have an identity, then you can find coaches to run it. How many OCs did we go through in the 90s ? It seemed like every single one of them were hired as coaches on other teams based on our success. But the reason why the team continued to excel is that we had an identity, and we found coaches that could tweak, but not change, that identity.

Right now, we dont know what the makeup of this team is. Fans alone are confused. We play conservaball, and the team fails. You open it to spread, and now you have to rely on Smith to carry the team, which he cant. Plus, go into shotgun, and now your running game....consisting of Gore, Westbrook, and Dixon, becomes nonexistent.

At least Gruden would bring a scheme with him if he joined us. He's not the BEST coach in the world, but he's a good one, nonetheless. He's the best available IMO.

Gruden would definitely bring a scheme, and I'm sure fans would welcome with open arms the return of the WCO. All I'm saying here is that he should not be hired solely based on his offensive philosophy and the fact that he won a Super Bowl (in NFL time) ages ago. No doubt he was an excellent coach at one point, it just seems to me that his time in the sun has passed.

With that said, I wouldn't be upset if we hired him-- we could certainly do worse. But we could also do a lot better. Who gets my vote?

Brian Schottenheimer.

No, he doesn't run the WCO so I know he's a hard sell around here, but the tandem of him and Bill Callahan (as OC) is intriguing. Under them, three out of the five starting O-lineman have made the Pro-Bowl. The running game is nasty.

They take shots down the field. Above all else they good, sound, physical ball. I really think they could do wonders with our current personnel. He's also someone that I would trust with a young QB. Just look at what he's doing for Sanchez.

Hire him, and sign a good veteran QB for the rookie we draft to learn behind. Target a pass rusher in FA AND the draft and I guarantee that we'll dominate the West for years to come.

Interesting idea with Brian Schottenheimer, the Jets offense is very hit and miss. One of my best friends is a Jets fan and if anything thinks Brian Schottenheimer is over rated and comes across as a know it all. In terms of personality think something along the lines of Josh McDaniels but not as bad.

Would be a solid hire which I wouldn't be too upset about, would still prefer Gruden I think.
Everyone wants harbaugh but I doubt Jed even goes after him. I'm not getting my hopes up for that
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
Everyone wants harbaugh but I doubt Jed even goes after him. I'm not getting my hopes up for that

Everyone wanted Pete Carroll a few years ago and 5 games in to coaching in Seattle, he said he "was still adjusting to the pro game" Even though he has been a pro head coach before.

Keep that in mind when you think about Harbaugh as coach, it is A LOT different being the crazy leader (sticking it to other teams) in college where players love that and you can motivate them to winning seasons. That kind of thing wears out really quickly in the pros.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
No college coahes please. Unless they have had prior NFL success.
TO-NY! DUN-GY! *clap* *clap* *clap clap clap*
Is Mariucci even an option ? He turned a fallen dynasty into a playoff contender in 3 years.

A fallen dynasty that went 13-3 in his first year. So you could turn it around and say that it took him 3 years to get from 13-3 to 4-12.

So no, not even an option. Nice guy, but no.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jabuke:

RE - TIRED *clap* *clap* *clap clap clap*

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Jabuke:

HE-COULD-AL-WAYS-COME-BACK-GUYS-DO-IT-ALL-THE-TIME-THEY-MISS-THE-GAME-AND-HE-WOULD-PROB-A-BLY-DO-IT-FOR-THE-RIGHT-PRICE! *clap* *clap* *clap clap clap*

HE-COULD-AL-WAYS-COME-BACK-GUYS-DO-IT-ALL-THE-TIME-THEY-MISS-THE-GAME-AND-HE-WOULD-PROB-A-BLY-DO-IT-FOR-THE-RIGHT-PRICE! *clap* *clap* *clap clap clap*
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I'm liking the idea of Eagles Assistant HC/OC Marty Mornhinweg.

Yeah, his resume is just incredible (primarily in the QB development department), and is an offensive mastermind. -Marty reminds me a lot of Bill Belichick; was a successful coordinator to begin with, went into head-coaching prematurely (and stunk), then went back under the wing of his mentor (Parcells; for Marty, Andy Reid) as both a coordinator and assistant coach for a handful of years.

Marty's ready for a fresh new gig, and he'd assemble a 4-star coaching/personnel unit (dude is highly respected, and would lure a lot of high quality position coaches/coordinators to the Bay, or possibly even bring some Eagles guys over with him).

Plus, Marty Mornhinweg has a history with the 49ers. I think he's a good fit.

• Jcool
  • Veteran

Yeah, his resume is just incredible (primarily in the QB development department), and is an offensive mastermind. -Marty reminds me a lot of Bill Belichick; was a successful coordinator to begin with, went into head-coaching prematurely (and stunk), then went back under the wing of his mentor (Parcells; for Marty, Andy Reid) as both a coordinator and assistant coach for a handful of years.

Marty's ready for a fresh new gig, and he'd assemble a 4-star coaching/personnel unit (dude is highly respected, and would lure a lot of high quality position coaches/coordinators to the Bay, or possibly even bring some Eagles guys over with him).

Yeah i want a coach Detroit fans nick named "Marty Moron-weg" and has a coaching record of 5 and 27. At lest Bill Belichick had a playoff appearance before he became the Patriots head coach.

[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 15, 2010 at 14:27:06 ]
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Beerman:

A fallen dynasty that went 13-3 in his first year. So you could turn it around and say that it took him 3 years to get from 13-3 to 4-12.

So no, not even an option. Nice guy, but no.

The dynasty was on its last ropes in 1996. Debartolo had to haul in guys like Kevin Greene, Rod Woodson, and Charles Haley to make playoff runs in 97 and 98. If anything, those 2 teams were playoff contenders based on SteveYoun galone, and when he got injured in 1999......the dynasty collapsed and we went 4-12. The amazing part was that Mooch brought the team back to the playoffs in 3 years, and not by luck alone. We had a 12-4 record in 2001, and 2 of those losses were against the Rams.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Yeah i want a coach Detroit fans nick named "Marty Moron-weg" and has a coaching record of 5 and 27. At lest Bill Belichick had a playoff appearance before he became the Patriots head coach.

I'm sure he's learned from it since then. Let's face it, the Lions have never been a very successful franchise. Most of their coached have failed. I'd give Marty a shot.
I wouldn't mind Gruden. Offensive minded coach for a team struggling on offense. Fits the build.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
None of the above past NFL HC. Although I do like John Gruden, he wouldn't be my first choice. I'd either want an OC in the NFL or a college coach (yes Jim Harbaugh) or Boise St.'s HC Chris Peterson.
Share 49ersWebzone