LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 146 users in the forums

*rumour* Cowboys to fire Wade Phillips on monday

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
wow if the rumors are true, there is a chance phillips might do the same thing nolan did, quit when he heard he would be fired in a week

eye is confuzzzeeeddddd
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
wow if the rumors are true, there is a chance phillips might do the same thing nolan did, quit when he heard he would be fired in a week

eye is confuzzzeeeddddd

no way phillips quits, he would not get paid. Unless jerry arranges a deal for him or whatever. I live in dallas, its awesome watching their fans jump off buidlings down here. And to think like 80% of the so-called experts had them in the super bowl.
i love that theyre that frustrated but this is complete bulls**t. no way they go outside the current staff to find an interim coach, they have no time to install a system midseason. theyll either ride the wade train out or can him and move up someone from within temporarily.
I imagine if they fire Phillips then Jason Garrett will be the HC
No way this happens in the middle of the season. If they fire Wade, they need a new head coach and new defensive coordinator. Unless they plan on promoting the sawed-off freak-out machine Dave Campo (what a disaster that would be). Unless they start 0 and 5, Wade lasts until the end of this season. No chance he's back next year though.
Dang, I was hoping they would keep him forever. He sucks and makes Dallas suck. Anytime Dallas sucks, I am happy.

I am pro-Wade
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Dang, I was hoping they would keep him forever. He sucks and makes Dallas suck. Anytime Dallas sucks, I am happy.

I am pro-Wade

oh please hire Brian Billick if wade gets fired... horrible coach, the ravens players threw the game against Miami to get him fired, lol. He is a terrible coach offensive mastermind my ass
[ Edited by footballxpaul on Sep 23, 2010 at 7:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Janitor:
I don't know why this is being debated, Phillips isn't getting fired. Jones is one of the most shrewd owners in the NFL, he knows better than to flip out after a couple of bad games, and he just signed Phillips to an extension, as well as putting his full support behind him. This thread should be locked until there is even the slightest hint of truth to this, which at this point there is not.

I don't understand why people always call for a thread to be locked. If people want to discuss a rumor, let it be.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
If Wade gets fired, Jason Garrett is a shoe in for the job.

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I don't think that it's very often that a coach is fired midseason and a person from outside is brought in as a replacement...

-9fA

I would like to see some occurrences of that as well. I'm not sure I can recall a time that happened before.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I don't think that it's very often that a coach is fired midseason and a person from outside is brought in as a replacement...

-9fA

I would like to see some occurrences of that as well. I'm not sure I can recall a time that happened before.

You can't improve your team by either:

1) Having a coach from outside the system try and take it over

2) Starting with a new coach and a new system in the middle of the season

There's a reason you don't see it happen very often in football.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
If Wade gets fired, Jason Garrett is a shoe in for the job.

this
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I'm not sure Jason Garrett will be the next HC - he has been criticized a LOT recently in Dallas by the media and the fans.

...and the reason why Cowboys are losing is because of their offense - it will not make a lot of sense to promote the OC to HC.

Garrett MAY get the interim tag. I don't think he'd be made the new HC long term right off the bat, he'd have to make the playoffs and win in the playoffs to keep the job. Jones likely has his eye on the big name candidates to hire come January.

Could be...but I think if they fire Wade - it probably means Jerry Jones is desperate to get to the SuperBowl THIS year since it's being played in their new stadium. Jerry Jones has to know that Garrett is not going to take them to the SuperBowl when he is struggling to get the offense going. I don't know...Jerry Jones can do anything - so every option is on table.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Janitor:
I don't know why this is being debated, Phillips isn't getting fired. Jones is one of the most shrewd owners in the NFL, he knows better than to flip out after a couple of bad games, and he just signed Phillips to an extension, as well as putting his full support behind him. This thread should be locked until there is even the slightest hint of truth to this, which at this point there is not.

Maybe when it comes to running it as a business - but def. not when it comes to putting together a winning team in a salary cap era. The reason Cowboys haven't done anything in last 15 years is because of Jerry Jones.
Share 49ersWebzone