There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lott gave a motivational speech to the saints before the game

Originally posted by Legbreaker:
So...you're all gonna spit hate on a guy that is maybe the best DB ever...a guy that was with us for four super bowls...a hall of famer...because his friend asked him to talk to his players?

Wow. That is so retarded that if Corky from "Life Goes On" read this thread, he'd say, "Wow...this sh*t is pretty f*cking retarded."

Put down the haterade, stop being a homer, and listen to Ronnie break the game down on KNBR this week. He loves the team, and knows the guys. He's still good friends with Keena Turner, and he spends plenty of time around our boys. The guy is a legend, and no matter who he talks to, he'll always be OUR legend.

Go Niners. That is all.

Thank you for thinking like an adult.
Lott is free to give motivational speech to any group, but something simply doesn't sit right when a person encouraged other team to do better against the team that retired his jersey. Pro sports aren't like nations. Otherwise it'd be like a former 4-star general telling another nation's military to rout his nation's troops.

Actually I'm pretty neutral about this matter. After all this is a business.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Originally posted by Digger25:
unless ronnie gets a paycheck signed by jed york, who cares? ronnie owes us nothing. if he were truly appreciated by this organization, he would be brought in to do "motivational speeches" or give coaching tips to our DBs-which i think he has (mays). if anything, we owe ronnie and any other great niner from the past. again, this is the front office not keeping history as a part of our present and future. a man has got to eat and feed his family, if he was paid, good for him. like someone mentioned, maybe singletary should have asked first.

oh sorry, i forgot he was playing for the niners for free. I cant believe you think there is nothing wrong with that, thats the most low class thing ive ever heard a player do. what ever happend to loyalty?

Ask Montana that when he got to Kansas City. The NFL is a business. Lott has been out of the league for years and he might need the money. s**t, this guy cut his finger off to play for us and you want to talk about loyalty?

He cut his finger off to finish a game while playing for the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets.

You my friend need to stop posting here. Or learn to check your facts, particularly before ripping a poster who appears to know more than you.

You are wrong. Check your facts.
F A C T S.

I would have thought a 49ers supporter of any age would have known this story.
unless ronnie gets a paycheck signed by jed york, who cares? ronnie owes us nothing. if he were truly appreciated by this organization, he would be brought in to do "motivational speeches" or give coaching tips to our DBs-which i think he has (mays). if anything, we owe ronnie and any other great niner from the past. again, this is the front office not keeping history as a part of our present and future. a man has got to eat and feed his family, if he was paid, good for him. like someone mentioned, maybe singletary should have asked first.

oh sorry, i forgot he was playing for the niners for free. I cant believe you think there is nothing wrong with that, thats the most low class thing ive ever heard a player do. what ever happend to loyalty?

Ask Montana that when he got to Kansas City. The NFL is a business. Lott has been out of the league for years and he might need the money. s**t, this guy cut his finger off to play for us and you want to talk about loyalty?

He cut his finger off to finish a game while playing for the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets.

You are W-R-O-N-G Wrong Wrong Wrong

At the end of the 1985 season in a game against the Cowboys, Ronnie Lott, then in his glory days with the 49ers, mangled his left pinky in a brutal collision with running back Timmy Newsome. Bone fragments and parts of Lott's finger lay somewhere in the turf. Lott came out of the game briefly -- a game his team won to gain a wild-card berth in the NFC playoffs. He bore the agony of his dismembered member in the manner of all Top Guns and Terminators of sports. Enduring the pain was a religion -- or at least a line-item entry in the game's Iliad of make-believe war.

The next week, Lott had his fingers taped so he could play -- in a loss to the Giants. Over that winter, he remained in excruciating pain. He faced the next season with an awful choice: a complicated and delicate operation in which bone and skin grafting and the placement of pins in his hand might restore full use of his hand -- or, he could have the top of his finger amputated. Choice No. 1 meant missing playing time and risking reinjury. Choice No. 2 meant missing some finger but being ready -- like Arnold Schwarzenegger -- for more. Most football fans know how this came out. Lott chose to have the top of his finger chopped off and then went on to his third Pro Bowl season with the 49ers, leading the team to yet another playoff appearance.

As much as this fits the glass- and nail-eating mold in which pro football players like to cast themselves, it does not really fit Ronnie Lott, the Jets' sure Hall of Fame safety, a player who, more than most, has gained a reputation over a glorious 14-year career for top-of-the-line (or 7 yards back of the line) intelligence to go along with all that mayhem. In a survey by The Sporting News, NFL coaches were asked to name a current player who was the best candidate to be a head coach. Eight out of 20 named Lott.

[ Edited by valrod33 on Sep 22, 2010 at 09:33:29 ]
Originally posted by valrod33:

At the end of the 1985 season in a game against the Cowboys, Ronnie Lott, then in his glory days with the 49ers, mangled his left pinky in a brutal collision with running back Timmy Newsome. Bone fragments and parts of Lott's finger lay somewhere in the turf. Lott came out of the game briefly -- a game his team won to gain a wild-card berth in the NFC playoffs. He bore the agony of his dismembered member in the manner of all Top Guns and Terminators of sports. Enduring the pain was a religion -- or at least a line-item entry in the game's Iliad of make-believe war.

The next week, Lott had his fingers taped so he could play -- in a loss to the Giants. Over that winter, he remained in excruciating pain. He faced the next season with an awful choice: a complicated and delicate operation in which bone and skin grafting and the placement of pins in his hand might restore full use of his hand -- or, he could have the top of his finger amputated. Choice No. 1 meant missing playing time and risking reinjury. Choice No. 2 meant missing some finger but being ready -- like Arnold Schwarzenegger -- for more. Most football fans know how this came out. Lott chose to have the top of his finger chopped off and then went on to his third Pro Bowl season with the 49ers, leading the team to yet another playoff appearance.

As much as this fits the glass- and nail-eating mold in which pro football players like to cast themselves, it does not really fit Ronnie Lott, the Jets' sure Hall of Fame safety, a player who, more than most, has gained a reputation over a glorious 14-year career for top-of-the-line (or 7 yards back of the line) intelligence to go along with all that mayhem. In a survey by The Sporting News, NFL coaches were asked to name a current player who was the best candidate to be a head coach. Eight out of 20 named Lott.

Thanks. As far as head coaching goes, let's remind ourselves again-- HOF players RARELY make good coaches.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by ttime1:
So what?????? He is qualified to speak to champions and the Saints are the champions representing a city which was devistated. He is more than qualified to speak about the love of the game and what it means to be blessed to play and represent one's self as champions. This is really not a discussion that he can have with the current 49ers organization that has all but isolated itself from its history. The current organization has not earned; or maybe even deserve such.

So just because they were hit by a beastly hurricane 5 years ago everyone has to kiss their ass now? I felt sorry for them and all but f**k that, I don't give a crap about it in relation to football. Guys like Rod Woodson have been more helpful recently to our org than a guy like Lott has, and Rod only played here for 1 year yet he was here giving our DBs tips and speaches and talking to guys. Lott was a great player and did a lot for the 49ers but the 9ers did a lot for him, obviously Eddie was there and Jed is pretty close to him so to say that we haven't earned the right or deserve the right for these guys to talk to our team is BS. He might not be a traitor but that doesn't mean I have to like him pumping up the OPPOSING TEAM.

You do realize Woodson was sent there by the NFL network(for his job) to file a report on the team. He did the same thing for several other teams.
Originally posted by Smokie:
So...you're all gonna spit hate on a guy that is maybe the best DB ever...a guy that was with us for four super bowls...a hall of famer...because his friend asked him to talk to his players?

Wow. That is so retarded that if Corky from "Life Goes On" read this thread, he'd say, "Wow...this sh*t is pretty f*cking retarded."

Put down the haterade, stop being a homer, and listen to Ronnie break the game down on KNBR this week. He loves the team, and knows the guys. He's still good friends with Keena Turner, and he spends plenty of time around our boys. The guy is a legend, and no matter who he talks to, he'll always be OUR legend.

Go Niners. That is all.

I agree... I do think it was kind of a D-bag move of sean payton to tap into his lott source for a big MNF game against the niners. He could have asked lott any other week and i could'f caredless

[ Edited by Born_Niner on Sep 22, 2010 at 09:51:03 ]
Thanks guys for the clearing that up with homie about Lott's finger. I was like damn, he doesn't know

Like Legbreaker said he loves the 49ers and it's no big deal. We damn near won the game so maybe he should give another speech to the Chiefs this week
Originally posted by Smokie:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Thanks. As far as head coaching goes, let's remind ourselves again-- HOF players RARELY make good coaches.

Not sure what relevance this comment has, but it is perhaps worthwhile pointing out that HoF players RARELY try to become head coaches. From our own SB era, Joe, Jerry, Brent, all the rest of them. How many went into coaching? Well, Tom Rathman did and seems to be doing ok.

But it can be done. Mike Ditka is one example.
Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott also played for other teams. Does that make them LESS loyal to the 49er's?

Get over it!
So now it's f@ck Ronnie Lott and Jerry Rice? You guys are pathetic. You guys must under 21 years old. Who cares they are still legends and made most of you Niner fans.

the niners matter more to me than any single player that ever passed through here in the past.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott also played for other teams. Does that make them LESS loyal to the 49er's?

Get over it!

no shiite. man can do whatever the fcuk he wants. last i checked he's still a "GROWN ARSE MAN"
  • flow
  • Veteran

Go Niners. That is all.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
So now it's f@ck Ronnie Lott and Jerry Rice? You guys are pathetic. You guys must under 21 years old. Who cares they are still legends and made most of you Niner fans.

the niners matter more to me than any single player that ever passed through here in the past.

That's your choice, but those two are not just any single players. Be honest with yourself and tell tme hat because Lott gave a speech to the Saints on Monday and Rice gave one to the Seahawks last week you're going to hate those guys.

Some people on here are worst than.. well I won't say it
do the niners still pay his ass? that's what i thought! singletary gives motivational speaches to the 49ers everyday... GET OVER IT! RONNIE LOTT IS THE MAN! we didn't lose OVER A DAMN MOTIVATIONAL SPEECH! YES I'M YELLING!