There are 226 users in the forums

Jimmy Raye Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Did anyone else hear the Jimmy Raye interview on Sirius yesterday? I was surprised at how articulate the guy was, and thoughtful. Now, I know that coordinators have practiced coach speak for a long time, and he was only asked to comment on general issues. But his comments about Alex Smith seemed spot on -- that he needs a coaching staff that recognizes he is a "thinking" quarterback, that needs to be brought along in a system in a specific way that builds his confidence so he can then "let if fly." (NOT MAKING AN EXCUSE) -- But Raye's point was he hasn't had that and won't succeed until he does.

NOW, my main point is that from what I heard of Raye, it surprises me that he was so inept at calling plays -- yes, maybe age had something to do with it. But combined with age, it made me suspect there was something else going on. I suspect that as an offensive drive started, Raye had a first instinct to call a certain play, but then he had to hesitate and think "Which play does the head coach want me to call."

In other words, I suspect that the offensive problems of the Singletary years had far more to do with Singletary, than the OCs.

Could be true, but maybe he is better at teaching than actually coaching. The fact that he realized that about alex speaks volumes, seems like singletary was trying to fit a square alex into a round hole, and when it didnt work he threw troy smith in there.
f**k Jimmy
While Jimmy Raye's history certainly confirms that he was never an outstanding coordinator, it's obvious he, as well as Manusky and Mike Johnson, were being micro-managed by Singletary to a certain extent. Singletary was an idiot, egomaniac, and micro-manager as a head coach. He was even micro-managing Anthony Dixon, telling him to run straight ahead instead of dancing around. It's one thing to coach your players during practice so they can improve, entirely another to micro-manage them during a game. So here you had a head coach, who was a defensive guy, telling a running back how to run. It's no wonder that the Niners played well in the last game of the season with Tomsula as coach. I know it was only Arizona, but I think he told Johnson and Manusky to game plan and call plays however they wanted to win the game. None of that "We're gonna run it down their throat stupidity". If Eisenhower had told Hitler that he was going to invade Normandy on June 6th, 1944, would do you think would have happened?
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
While Jimmy Raye's history certainly confirms that he was never an outstanding coordinator, it's obvious he, as well as Manusky and Mike Johnson, were being micro-managed by Singletary to a certain extent. Singletary was an idiot, egomaniac, and micro-manager as a head coach. He was even micro-managing Anthony Dixon, telling him to run straight ahead instead of dancing around. It's one thing to coach your players during practice so they can improve, entirely another to micro-manage them during a game. So here you had a head coach, who was a defensive guy, telling a running back how to run. It's no wonder that the Niners played well in the last game of the season with Tomsula as coach. I know it was only Arizona, but I think he told Johnson and Manusky to game plan and call plays however they wanted to win the game. None of that "We're gonna run it down their throat stupidity". If Eisenhower had told Hitler that he was going to invade Normandy on June 6th, 1944, would do you think would have happened?

The French would be speaking German.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
That would hold true except Raye has a strong history of failure as an OC:

Wow. I can't even believe we hired this guy. He had ONE decent experience as a coach...that's it.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Wow. I can't even believe we hired this guy. He had ONE decent experience as a coach...that's it.

Have you seen Fangio's track record? It may just be worse.

It maybe worsed but im guessing it all depends on the Head Coach, he did well with harbaugh at stanford. When Manusky was our DC he was micro managed by dingleberry, We'll see how he does with turner.

Do you have a similar graphic or link?

He seems to be doing a decent job thus far. Then again Raye had some "amazing" moments as well with his "Down 30-3-@-the-half-Raye-Gun" Offense.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This thread should be locked he's no longer alive.
That would hold true except Raye has a strong history of failure as an OC:

Remember why he was hired? Singletary was trying to tell Martz how he wanted him to do his job moving forward. When Martz said he couldn't operate that way, he was fired. Then is subsequent offensive coordinator interviews, he was trying to tell prospective candidates how he wanted them to do their jobs. Raye was the only guy that would take the job. When Raye was fired, he said he was just doing what he was told to do by Singletary. So here you had a defensive guy telling offensive coordinators how to do their jobs. And when I call Singletary a defensive guy, I mean that in more ways than one. The guy couldn't even conduct an interview session without getting defensive. I know I'm speculating here, but psychology will tell you that all of these issues are possibly signs of someone who may have an inferiority complex. Oh yeah, and then there's the "I will be the greatest head coach in NFL history" quote. What kind of an idiot feels the need to say that? A man who has an inferiority complex and is trying to overcompensate?

Why is this even up????
  • mike
  • Veteran

True that he was a part of a few of the colts defenses that were absolutely horrible back in the day(whether it was his fault or there just was nothing to work with i don't know). But he can't really be blamed for houston(david carr throwing and Capers was not a good head coach). One game that showed hope for his defense was when they beat the steelers with only 46 yards from their offense lol(a record at the time for a win). Carr also got sacked 76 times one season.

I don't think it would be anywhere as bad as raye's record when you look at how the colts, despite their bad defense, stlll rocked when fangio was there, and houston sucked before he got there as well.(whereas raye has started with talented teams and ran them into the ground).
[ Edited by mike on Aug 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM ]
f**k JIMMY RAYE. . WORST f**kING COORDINATOR OF THE DECA... wait who was that one that was worse before him? Whats his name?
Originally posted by susweel:
This thread should be locked he's no longer alive.

dick

Do you have a similar graphic or link?

He seems to be doing a decent job thus far. Then again Raye had some "amazing" moments as well with his "Down 30-3-@-the-half-Raye-Gun" Offense.

From Barrows:

Fangio spent 11 NFL seasons as a defensive coordinator. The Panthers and Texans were expansion teams when he joined them. Here are the respective rankings of Fangio's defenses.

Carolina
1995: 7th
1996: 10th
1997: 15th
1998: 30th (last in the league)

Indianapolis
1999: 15th
2000: 21st
2001: 29th

Houston
2002: 16th
2003: 31st