There are 173 users in the forums

Jimmy Raye Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I didn't see a thread specifically for this, so starting a thread here. The webzone just posted an article about this that I found very informative. It appears the issue is Raye, but he was depending on someone else last year to resolve the issue for him:

Quote:
According to multiple sources familiar with the circumstances, the real problem has been more than a year in the making and became more significant following changes the 49ers made within the coaching staff this offseason.

In Singletary’s first full season last year, offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, one of the more respected veteran coaches in the league, was calling plays from the coach’s box upstairs. Raye would call plays down to offensive assistant Jason Michael, who would then send the play into the quarterback. That system worked effectively even at times when Raye struggled to find exactly the right play or say it exactly the right way.

“It seems like Jimmy calls plays from memory a lot of the time and not exactly the way it’s written down,” said one of the aforementioned sources, adding that the plays often get garbled. “He knows the plays and he knows the right thing to call, but he’s fumbling through his papers and it’s like, ‘Hey, we need to get a play called.’ ”

Michael, who worked closely with Raye, was good at filling the gaps in communication. However, one of the problems created by the Raye-Michael relationship was that it began to alienate quarterback coach Mike Johnson(notes), whose involvement in building the game plan had diminished. In addition, some players began to resent Raye’s tendency to blame them if things went wrong.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-directsnap091410
Originally posted by fryet:
I didn't see a thread specifically for this, so starting a thread here. The webzone just posted an article about this that I found very informative. It appears the issue is Raye, but he was depending on someone else last year to resolve the issue for him:

Quote:
According to multiple sources familiar with the circumstances, the real problem has been more than a year in the making and became more significant following changes the 49ers made within the coaching staff this offseason.

In Singletary’s first full season last year, offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, one of the more respected veteran coaches in the league, was calling plays from the coach’s box upstairs. Raye would call plays down to offensive assistant Jason Michael, who would then send the play into the quarterback. That system worked effectively even at times when Raye struggled to find exactly the right play or say it exactly the right way.

“It seems like Jimmy calls plays from memory a lot of the time and not exactly the way it’s written down,” said one of the aforementioned sources, adding that the plays often get garbled. “He knows the plays and he knows the right thing to call, but he’s fumbling through his papers and it’s like, ‘Hey, we need to get a play called.’ ”

Michael, who worked closely with Raye, was good at filling the gaps in communication. However, one of the problems created by the Raye-Michael relationship was that it began to alienate quarterback coach Mike Johnson(notes), whose involvement in building the game plan had diminished. In addition, some players began to resent Raye’s tendency to blame them if things went wrong.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-directsnap091410

If this is true then,

GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't have a quick fix on our hands, we have a fundamental issue and Singletary probably won't do anything about it besides seeing the obvious solution that even an armchair fan would make but will not make the more intricate detailed decision that will actually solve the problem for good.

Singletary only fixes an immediate problem and then another problem comes up. That sucks because those don't come up until game days. Nolan had the same issue. Lack of understanding and preparation of being able to see problems before they arise has been our head coach's issue.
If that story is accurate it confirms some of our fears.

Raye knows offense but he can't keep up with the pace of a live game anymore.

Johnson should be given command of game day decisions and Raye can gameplan etc.

Putting Raye on the field is just going to expose this debacle to the public (if the article is accurate)
I knew it! Old senile b*****d!
Wow, how the f**k does Raye even have a job in the NFL? Only a f**king idiot would allow that type of inconsistency up in the booth! Raye may have been a more consistent OC in the past but this guy is FAR BEYOND HIS DAYS of handling this type of job.

Seriously, this is where the age factor dominates the position, we need Mike Johnson up there now.
Garbling the play or fumbling through papers to get a play fast enough is just unacceptable. We can't even get the plays in time. I don't see any other team in the league doing this. That's like snapping the ball from center. It should just be taken for granted. Not a struggle. This coaching staff is a joke. The don't belong coaching high school.

Ladies and gentlemen this officially kicks starts the 49ers biggest drama of 2010.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
omg.... if this is true, that old b*****d needs to be removed.
Jason Cole's article does quite a bit of speculation, though the situation as drawn seems likely.

If Jason Michael is Jimmy Raye's translator, why can't the team simply put Michael in the booth next to Raye? Also, give Jimmy a headset without a microphone.

It seems like putting Raye on the sidelines would only complicate things for Alex Smith when the plays are called incorrectly.
If we all can come together and bring this issue to MM and MB, they will plant the seed in Sing's head, and sometimes that's all it takes to make things happen!! hahaha

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Garbling the play or fumbling through papers to get a play fast enough is just unacceptable. We can't even get the plays in time. I don't see any other team in the league doing this. That's like snapping the ball from center. It should just be taken for granted. Not a struggle. This coaching staff is a joke. The don't belong coaching high school.

since when do you believe unnamed sources?
next year. New OC, new QB. That's all this team is missing!
Holy crap....I don't even know what to say about this....

Originally posted by boast:

Do you seriously believe it takes an un-named source to even assume this anymore?
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by boast:

Do you seriously believe it takes an un-named source to even assume this anymore?
Share 49ersWebzone