There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Calvin Johnson TD

they changed the rule for this year per the new rule (which is stupid as f**k) it's not a td

guess you gotta take the ball home with you before it's a td

the nfl really screwed up some rule changes this year
I think the main difference between those two plays is this:

On Gores play, his feet work planted on the ground when he made the catch. Once he caught it and he had posession, it was a TD.

On Johnsons play he caught it in the air, and therefore needed to maintain possession throughout the entire process of catching the ball in order for it to be a catch.

That's what someone explained to me at least. I think it's bs though. Detroit clearly should have been 1-0 today.
If he would have picked the ball up off the grab as he palmed it then I'd say its a catch BUT he rolled into the ground and left the ball there, on the ground. It is not a catch.
  • dman
  • Veteran
He landed with control of the ball and lost it while getting up.

So if he stays down and doesnt try to get up its a TD?

One of the worst calls ever.
It was a catch, but the refs called it right according to the rule book. Johnson essentially got punished for having freakishly amazing skills. He's showing the ref that he caught the ball and then the ball comes loose when it hits the ground.

I don't think they change the rule though. 99% of the time the rule helps it just so happens that in this instance Detroit got screwed.

It sucks too because this will probally cost me my fantasy game. Well not playing Foster is what we really costed me the game, but I like to blame the refs.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 13, 2010 at 11:33:16 ]
He palmed the ball, yes....but he did not secure the ball. He put it on the ground and lost it. You can't secure the ball on the ground.
Originally posted by Youngone:
He palmed the ball, yes....but he did not secure the ball. He put it on the ground and lost it. You can't secure the ball on the ground.

After 2 feet came down and his butt came, and his left hand came down. It was clearly a catch he just got screwed by the wording of the rules.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 13, 2010 at 12:25:47 ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Youngone:

After 2 feet came down and his butt came, and his left hand came down. It was clearly a catch he just got screwed by the wording of the rules.

this
That lost TD was the difference I lost my opening week in my 14 team $100 a team league

Originally posted by ninerlifer:
That lost TD was the difference I lost my opening week in my 14 team $100 a team league

Tell me about it, I lost by 4 points! f**k those refs
Stupid rule, they got robbed. I hate stupidity....it ruins the game. Seriously.
hell yes that's a TD. WTF were the refs thinking?? Retarded ass rule.
Originally posted by zozell:

On Gores play, his feet work planted on the ground when he made the catch. Once he caught it and he had posession, it was a TD.

On Johnsons play he caught it in the air, and therefore needed to maintain possession throughout the entire process of catching the ball in order for it to be a catch.

That's what someone explained to me at least. I think it's bs though. Detroit clearly should have been 1-0 today.

I agree with this explanation.

The rule that comes into play is only invoked when you go to the ground. Gore never went down. He had the TD as soon as he had possession

Here is the infamous rule:
This is the NFL's reason it wasn't a catch:
Item 1: Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by zozell:

I agree with this explanation.

The rule that comes into play is only invoked when you go to the ground. Gore never went down. He had the TD as soon as he had possession

Here is the infamous rule:
This is the NFL's reason it wasn't a catch:
Item 1: Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

I posted this on another tread. It belongs here. It aslo gives you the correct result as most people feel in their gut:

"OK. I'll bite.

I still don't understand why it wasn't a catch. And a TD.

Read the rule again: "he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground". You do know that both of the receiver's feet his butt plus both knees hit the turf while he had grasp of the ball in his extended hand? Player is down when a knee hits the ground. Look at the replay. BOTH knees AND butt hit the ground; CJ had possession AND control at that time. It's only after that when he brought his hand down and slammed the ground that the ball popped out. Too late. He HAD CONTROL AFTER HE TOUCHED THE GROUND. The officials got the call wrong and everybody just went along with it.

Now you could say that he was bobbling the ball as he was coming down and did not have control. But I don't think that that was the case, nor was that the ruling: He caught the ball with both hands, both feet down, switch the ball to one hand with a firm grasp, knees hit the ground, ball in control, play over. THEN the hand with ball firmly in grasp hits the ground and ground causes a fumble.

It was legitimately a TD UNDER THE RULES as written. The Lions got robbed."
To me it looked more like he set the ball on the ground as he hopped up thinking the play was good.