• jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Mike_Desamero Mike Desamero by grantcohn
@grantcohn Geoff Hobson says the #Bengals got Taylor Mays from the #49ers for a 2013, 7th round pick bengals.com/news/article-1?

Great job Baalke.
Baalke is a freaking idiot, this guy is starting to bug the f*&$k outta me. Taylor Mays was worth well more than a 7th round pick, we should've just kept him you F***kin Moron!!!

It sounds like Baalke had a personal vendetta against him because he was b***h slapped by Sing into picking him.

Pretty much, dumbass still should've kept Mays, his potential more than out weighs a crap ass 7th round pick.....in 2013 nonetheless!!!!

I better stop now this dumbass is getting me all worked up.

Don't give yourself a warning
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Wow, this is just getting depressing. This "feels" from the outside like a vendetta as mentioned above. I don't think anyone saw Mays as a 7th round talent so the exchange her is really piss poor for the team.

My father, a fan for 25+ years told me last night "I think we should follow a new team, I can't take this anymore. Its impacting the rest of my life." It never really crossed my mind but damn.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by Whomeam:
Think about it though. When the bar is set THAT low, you'll take any better offer . That means no better offers were on the table. That shows how much people actually wanted the kid.

I see your point, but I think some of that is due to us broadcasting how badly we wanted to get rid of him.

We should have been telling everyone how it's too bad a player that talented doesn't fit with the new scheme we want to run.

There's a reason everyone was so shocked when we sent that email. And that reason is that it was a SHOCKINGLY STUPID MOVE.
While I agree with you, the people on these teams (for the most part) aren't idiots. If they thought he could help the team even just a little bit, they would have offered something. 31 teams got to take a look at him and in the end the best offer we got was from the Bengals for their 7th in 2 years. If the scouts and coaches thought he would be anything, it wouldn't be because we were trying to hype him up. It would be because they looked at tape of him and that he was great.

Hell, even Baalke didn't want him in the draft. Dingleberry is the reason we have him. and that right there is my only criticism of Baalke so far. He should have stepped up and said no instead of giving in and having us waste a pick.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by RKab:
Wow, this is just getting depressing. This "feels" from the outside like a vendetta as mentioned above. I don't think anyone saw Mays as a 7th round talent so the exchange her is really piss poor for the team.

My father, a fan for 25+ years told me last night "I think we should follow a new team, I can't take this anymore. Its impacting the rest of my life." It never really crossed my mind but damn.

You should do what I do, I become a fan of whatever team wins the superbowl every year.

Bandwagon baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think about it though. When the bar is set THAT low, you'll take any better offer . That means no better offers were on the table. That shows how much people actually wanted the kid.

I see your point, but I think some of that is due to us broadcasting how badly we wanted to get rid of him.

We should have been telling everyone how it's too bad a player that talented doesn't fit with the new scheme we want to run.

There's a reason everyone was so shocked when we sent that email. And that reason is that it was a SHOCKINGLY STUPID MOVE.
While I agree with you, the people on these teams (for the most part) aren't idiots. If they thought he could help the team even just a little bit, they would have offered something. 31 teams got to take a look at him and in the end the best offer we got was from the Bengals for their 7th in 2 years. If the scouts and coaches thought he would be anything, it wouldn't be because we were trying to hype him up. It would be because they looked at tape of him and that he was great.

Hell, even Baalke didn't want him in the draft. Dingleberry is the reason we have him. and that right there is my only criticism of Baalke so far. He should have stepped up and said no instead of giving in and having us waste a pick.

I don't know if agree with you.

Sure, we reached when drafted him. But someone would have certainly drafted him by the 4th round if we didn't take him in the second.

So between then and now what happened to cause everyone to give up on him? I don't think it was his play in games last year. He wasn't great, but he did make a few impressive plays on special teams.

What happened is that we made it very clear to everyone that we, the team who sees him every day in practice, think he sucks. I'm saying we could have tried harder to send a different message and there might have been teams that were still interested.

Sure, we reached when drafted him. But someone would have certainly drafted him by the 4th round if we didn't take him in the second.

So between then and now what happened to cause everyone to give up on him? I don't think it was his play in games last year. He wasn't great, but he did make a few impressive plays on special teams.

What happened is that we made it very clear to everyone that we, the team who sees him every day in practice, think he sucks. I'm saying we could have tried harder to send a different message and there might have been teams that were still interested.

This
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'll wait to see if he even makes their 53 man roster.

And i just don't see it. Like I said before, there are smart people on each team. If they thought he could do something they would have taken the chance on him. Especially if they had him ranked as a 4th or higher last season. They're very likely not going to listen to us going, "he sure is good!" I mean... harbaugh even did that in parts during the interviews where he talked about the situation. It didn't help.

I agree we could have handled the situation more professionally, I just don't think it would have changed things that much.

And i just don't see it. Like I said before, there are smart people on each team. If they thought he could do something they would have taken the chance on him. Especially if they had him ranked as a 4th or higher last season. They're very likely not going to listen to us going, "he sure is good!" I mean... harbaugh even did that in parts during the interviews where he talked about the situation. It didn't help.

I agree we could have handled the situation more professionally, I just don't think it would have changed things that much.

Maybe you're right.

It's just tough to watch when our front office does something that leaves every analyst, reporter, and league executive scratch their head, and then it plays out this poorly.

Doesn't exactly give anyone a reason to have confidence in the 9ers organization.

Congrats on your first bar, btw.
Oh man I didn't even notice. Thanks duder.

And I agree, I really wish they would have handled it better.

On a side note, does this change your perception on what Harbaugh said about the whole thing? He said that we got a few offers from teams and wanted to see what we could get for him. This means either he was lying or the other teams offered the same thing and they just either chose the team to trade with or let Mays decide where he wanted to go. I really am doubting they actually got other offers though.

On a side note, does this change your perception on what Harbaugh said about the whole thing? He said that we got a few offers from teams and wanted to see what we could get for him. This means either he was lying or the other teams offered the same thing and they just either chose the team to trade with or let Mays decide where he wanted to go. I really am doubting they actually got other offers though.

I have a hard time seeing one GM call another to say, "hey you know that guy you drafted in the second last year? Well, how about I give you a 7th for him. In two years..."

Seems much more likely they started it all by sending the email, tried to spin it when it blew up publicly, and only got one, crazy low offer because everyone just assumed they would cut him eventually.

So yes, I think Harbaugh lied. But that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the rest of the ineptitude they showed with the email.

To do this stuff right you have to set it up in advance. Look at how the Eagles handle this stuff. They swung two huge deals for CBs. An obvious sign that they don't like Samuel. But instead of telling everyone that, they talk about how much they love him, how excited they are about having 3 really good CBs, and how they would only maaaaybe trade Samuel if they got a really good offer. And now some team is going to give up a lot for a player the Eagles clearly thought wasn't good enough. In the NFL, perception becomes reality pretty fast in the offseason.

Yep. That mass email was amateur hour.

I have a hard time seeing one GM call another to say, "hey you know that guy you drafted in the second last year? Well, how about I give you a 7th for him. In two years..."

Seems much more likely they started it all by sending the email, tried to spin it when it blew up publicly, and only got one, crazy low offer because everyone just assumed they would cut him eventually.

So yes, I think Harbaugh lied. But that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the rest of the ineptitude they showed with the email.

To do this stuff right you have to set it up in advance. Look at how the Eagles handle this stuff. They swung two huge deals for CBs. An obvious sign that they don't like Samuel. But instead of telling everyone that, they talk about how much they love him, how excited they are about having 3 really good CBs, and how they would only maaaaybe trade Samuel if they got a really good offer. And now some team is going to give up a lot for a player the Eagles clearly thought wasn't good enough. In the NFL, perception becomes reality pretty fast in the offseason.

Agreed. Only difference I would say is that Samuels has enough tape on him to show that he has the ability to be a good CB. Can't really say the same about Mays. When he got a chance to show his stuff he pretty much didn't.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
a 7th round pick is lame.

then again, Shaun Hill got us a 7th round pick that Baalke turned into Daniel Kilgore. So a little something is better than nothing, but its hard to believe that they couldn't have handled this better.

I got to agree with you. He would of probably gotten release if Niners didn't trade him. Better then nothing.
Share 49ersWebzone