LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

New Umpire Rule, New Serious Flaw

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by znk916:

See? They're fine.
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Give 'em jet packs, and let 'em hover over the action.

If you got a problem, yo, I'll solve it...

Get cracking, scientists!
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

...or robot umps.
I think the major reason for the change was that teams will use the umpire as a pick. Giving him protective gear doesn't necessarily change that.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I think the major reason for the change was that teams will use the umpire as a pick. Giving him protective gear doesn't necessarily change that.

-9fA

But the question is, so what? It's the same for everybody. Besides, I haven't heard that as a reason from any of the usual talking heads. They're all saying it was a safety issue.
hmm, maybe a college type rule. the offense has to ask for the stoppage(like a TO) and then the play clock is set at 25 secs. but the clock is stopped for 10 secs and that would allow all umpires to get in proper position.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by teeohh:
f**k the refs, change the rule back

cosign it's a s**tty rule.

If the rules need any changing, it's to make it so that the refs are less prominent in the game. But every year you see the rules being changed to essentially the opposite effect.

I came to watch the players, not these assclowns.
When I first heard about this rule change I said it wouldn't last through the season.
Originally posted by thojess:
A) Stop hiring retirement age dudes to be NFL refs. Refs should be young and athletic with good eyes... no corrective lenses.

B) Give them protective gear

C) Stop f**king with the rulebook.

This is probably true for most refs, but Hoculean was pretty buff for a relatively-older ref. I say he could have put a hurt on a few NFL players if he tackled them. I would put Hoculean one notch below Chuck Norris for toughness.

Originally posted by thojess:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

But the question is, so what? It's the same for everybody. Besides, I haven't heard that as a reason from any of the usual talking heads. They're all saying it was a safety issue.

Exactly. Before the rule change, it was fair for everybody. If your team's entire identity revolves almost completely around the no-huddle attack, your team is likely to be ruined by this rule.

I think this is nothing but bad for the game of football. It'll slow things down tremendously, too. They've got to fix this.
dunno if theres another thread more appropriate for this question so i'll bring it up here...

when it comes to interceptions, doesn't it seem like refs are to quick to whistle it down before reviewing it only to find it was actually playable? we seemed to have gotten robbed of a few pick-6's in the past...let'm take it as far back as he can, then review it soon after?
Why can't the ref stay out of the way and keep from slowing things down? Doesn't seem THAT complicated.

Personally, I like the new placement.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

...or robot umps.

The Japanese will beat us to it.....
I sawr the replay on NFL network.

Manning was pist. He couldn't do the hurry up offense AT ALL.

They penalized Peyton a couple of times.
Share 49ersWebzone