There are 275 users in the forums

Marcellus Wiley just called Tully Banta Cain a playmaker

Shop 49ers game tickets
When they were asking Wiley if he thought the Pats could make the Super Bowl he said no because of the weakness of their defense. He said but they still have playmakers like Jarod Mayo and Tully Banta Cain.

Haha a priceless ESPN talking heads moment.
WHY DID WE LET HIM GO!?
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
WHY DID WE LET HIM GO!?

he's only good when the defensive coaches who are spys tell him what play is coming.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
WHY DID WE LET HIM GO!?

he's only good when the defensive coaches who are spys tell him what play is coming.

ZING! Let's not forget he was f**king terrible on our team.
  • bret
  • Veteran
This situation points out why signing free agents (or even drafting players) is such a crap-shoot: even if you can see obvious talent in a player, that talent might not really fit the system you are running. For every player who can easily adapt to a new system, there are a dozen more who can't.

In Banta-Cain's case, the Pats were looking to replace him when he came to us: their big-dollar free agent splash (Adalius Thomas) didn't exactly work out either, did it? But I suspect part of it too was the "I'm a hot shot now" syndrome that sometimes happens when a guy is given a big contract to come in and "save" a franchise: he doesn't work as hard and thinks he's bigger than the team and pretty soon he team has bypassed him. I suspect Tully's rude come-uppance with the 49ers caused his return to the Pats to be accomplished with a whole new sense of purpose and resolve - and hence the better results since he's been back.
"Play-faker" is more like it.
Share 49ersWebzone