There are 193 users in the forums

Aikman better than Young??

Shop 49ers game tickets
I know it is just a stupid poll on SI.com, but they have ranked the best players for each Jersey number. What the heck it is still pre-season so I felt like getting all pissed and ranting about it.

Here's the link:
SI.com

As much as it pains me to say, Aikman was effin great. Incredibly accurate, 3 Rings yada yada yada.

But better than Young?? Am I just a homer? I don't even think it should be debated that Young was better than Aikman overall.

Without too much homer bias, what do you think??
Yes he was. When they played head to head who won 90% of the time? Put your homerism away and be realistic.
Young is better than Aikman. Young has a Juris Doctor degree.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes he was. When they played head to head who won 90% of the time? Put your homerism away and be realistic.

QBs don't have W/L records, teams do.

That is not a good way to compare quarterbacks, because quarterbacks don't actually play against each other head to head in a game.
I think they were close. However Cowgirls hasd overall better team. If we had an Emmit Smith and kept Dieon we would have won more. Both head to head and SB.
Going off the Career QB ratings,

Aikman - 81.6
Young - 96.8

Young wins.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Aikman was not better than Young - not in my opinion.

Young was the focus of the 49ers offense. The WCO is a QB-driven offense. Emmit Smith was the focus of the Cowboy offense, not Aikman.

When Aikman lost his OL he retired. When Young lost his OL, he became a RB.

Just my 2 cents.

I think that is a good point. Young was a great athlete that played QB. In that respect, was more veratile than a pocket QB like Aikman.

But Aikman was pretty damn good. That dude used to really piss me off when they played the Niners.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Young also outplayed Aikman in many of those losses.

I gotta vote for Young. They are both great and in the HOF, but Young's ability to run tilts the scales for me. Young could do everything else Aikman could do.

Young was also the 49ers leading rusher in one of those games (1994 Playoffs), and he only had 38 yards rushing.
Aikman is overrated because he won. How could anybody think that Aikman was better than Young? It isn't even close guys... Unlike some eras where you can't compare stats, these guys played in the same era so statistical comparisons are much more appropriate. Think of it this way... Switch those QB's and think about each team.

Share 49ersWebzone