Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
This IS the same Browns team that just got rid of Brady Quinn AND Derek Anderson, while having no idea whet they were going to do this year at the QB position.

So trying to apply any sort of logic to them, would be like trying to teach a concrete wall how to pass protect.

They got Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace through FA and trade.

Yes, and both are stellar acquisitions. Delhomme completes as many passes to the other team as he does to his own receivers, and Wallace has never been a full-time starter.

They gave up on Quinn after only what, 12 starts? I can see them being impatient With Colt too.

2 different scenarios all together. And so far Delhomme has looked better then Quinn has. Would you rather have Quinn starting for your team?

Yeah, actually I would! I would rather take a young QB with potential and try to improve him, then a washed up has been that can't handle the pressure anymore. Delhomme has looked so good in "preaseaon". Look what he has done the last year and a half in games that really counted.

And what has Quinn done so far, aside from not start on his new team?

Honestly, I haven't even looked in on the Broncos and have no clue. But why would he start one of the first 2 preseason games over a QB that started 16 games for them last year and threw for 3800+ yards?

Well you would rather have a kid that cannot push for the starting job over a guy who has locked it down.....I don't get the reasoning.

So by your reasoning, you would have rather had Dave Kreig leading your team over Steve Young? I mean, in 1987-1989 Young was a kid that wasn't pushing for a starting job. Kreig had his starting job locked down. I think that would have been a bad choice for you.

You kinda have to compare the competition for the job. Like Young was up against Joe Montana, Kreig had some nobodys like Kelly Stouffer as "competition". So same thing here. Quinn is the new kid on the team trying to learn the playbook, and competing against an entrenched started that had a decent year last year. 3800+ yards passing and 20+ td's? Delhomme goes to a team that just got rid of pretty much ALL their qb's, so none of them no the playbook. There is no starter to play against. Only another new guy, that has never been a full-time starter.

Quinn played like garbage at Cle when he had his shot. Using a Young reference doesn't fit because he sat for many years, Quinn wouldn't have that chance in your scenario. Or pick another QB that wasn't a HOF'er that was young and didn't play good....perhaps JaMarcus. Would I rather have an experienced QB to lead a team and help win some games or a kid who so far hasn't done anything and was traded because of it.

Your point was simply a "kid" that can't push for a starting job vs. someone that had it locked down. So I would say the Young reference was very fitting. , I think you're proving my point - which was the Browns cut Quinn without really giving him much of a chance.

Quinn played like garbage in Cleveland? I agree. What QB could have done well there with a shaky o-line, crap running game, and nobody to throw the ball to? This is the same team that got RID of Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards - again, proving my point that their moves are generally bad. Also in case you didn't realize, Delhomme played like crap in Carolina with a MUCH better team surrounding him.

Your initial statement was This IS the same Browns team that just got rid of Brady Quinn AND Derek Anderson, while having no idea whet they were going to do this year at the QB position. Their idea is start Delhomme and use Senecca as the #2 while McCoy sits and learns, so they do have an idea. And in fact they are doing what you are describing By pointing out that Young had several years to sit and learn. Your idea of starting Quinn and letting him play is not beneficial for the team at this point, the smarter idea is to insert a QB who can be mildly effective (something Quinn cannot be). They will win more games with Jake starting then Brady at this point, and have looked better so far in preseason.

Also their running game was much much better after going away from Lewis towards the end of the year and their O line is not that bad. Edwards is over rated and couldn't catch the flu in Cle if he tried. Winslow I will admit was a bad idea but their management is different now.

So to summarize at this point yes its smarter to start a seasoned vet who has had success before then to start Quinn a kid who hasn't proven a thing in the NFL.

They cut Anderson first. Then got Wallace, and eventually Dellhome. Then traded Quinn away, leaving no real QB's on the roster that even knew the playbook. So they left themselves with a QB with hardly any starting experience and one that had thrown like 22 INT's in his last 12 games? And all of this happened before the draft, so they had no idea Colt McCoy would be available to them.

So yes, back to my original point...the Browns make dumb moves. If you want to call Dellhome and Wallace a "plan" at QB, well ok. My point it "plans" like that are why they will be picking in the top 5 this year.

Anderson is garbage and I would rather have Wallace before him any day of the week. I cannot hate on a team that's trying to dump its garbage players, which Anderson was and Quinn was becoming. Can Quinn become a starter sure, but Denver going and getting Tebow doesn't look well for Quinn either. They were going to get a QB in the draft at some point, Holmgren was going to get a new toy. Delhomme and Wallace are a better combo then Anderson and Quinn IMO. As far as picking in the top 5 I doubt that, I can see them getting 6 maybe 7 wins this year so top 10, but not top 5.
Colt McCoy is the new bubble Boy
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by fister30:
Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace seem to be ahead of Colt in the depth chart with another QB playing well.

According to a sporting news Colt is on the bubble.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsulVW50e3D4dU5hisj1inNDubYF?slug=tsn-166265

I guess more NFL coaches are using this tactic to motivate players. If colt is cut, I would not mind cutting car and signing colt. I doubt Cleveland is serious. Why would anybody want to have seneca wallace and jake delhomme as your first two options at QB?

There is no way they cut Colt.

The Patriots waived Quarterback Kevin O'Connell, a third round pick in 2008, prior to the first game of the regular season.

The Packers waived Quarterback Brian Brohm, a second round pick in 2008, on to the practice squad in 2009. The Buffalo Bills picked him up shortly after.

It's not totally out of the question.

yea and those two teams have Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers so they weren't drafted to be QB's of the future...were talking about the Browns here...the Browns!
Originally posted by 49erfan3252:
Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace seem to be ahead of Colt in the depth chart with another QB playing well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsulVW50e3D4dU5hisj1inNDubYF?slug=tsn-166265

I guess more NFL coaches are using this tactic to motivate players. If colt is cut, I would not mind cutting car and signing colt. I doubt Cleveland is serious. Why would anybody want to have seneca wallace and jake delhomme as your first two options at QB?

The Patriots waived Quarterback Kevin O'Connell, a third round pick in 2008, prior to the first game of the regular season.

The Packers waived Quarterback Brian Brohm, a second round pick in 2008, on to the practice squad in 2009. The Buffalo Bills picked him up shortly after.

yea and those two teams have Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers so they weren't drafted to be QB's of the future...were talking about the Browns here...the Browns!

What made those teams draft either of those players so early then?

Brady was injured that season. Rodgers had yet to start a regular season game.

My point is still valid.
Originally posted by 49erfan3252:

What made those teams draft either of those players so early then?

Brady was injured that season. Rodgers had yet to start a regular season game.

My point is still valid.

due to their value at the time. You always take the BPA and apparently they both felt those were the best player's available at the time.

let's not forget they had Matt Cassel who they were already impressed with and the Pack was still grooming Aaron Rodgers so why would they draft 2 QB's and expect them to be successful right away when they already had solid players before them? The Browns don't have that luxury.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Colt 13-13. I guess they won't be cutting him after all.
Originally posted by BobS:
No matter how bad he plays I doubt a team would give up on a 3rd round QB in his first camp. I think QB is the hardest position to transition from college to pro at, too many guys have to adjust from having 4 seconds to throw to wide open receivers to having 2 seconds throwing to a guy who might have a half step on someone, not an easy adjustment to make.

yeah, but you gotta remember. Holmgren is a great QB coach, if he feels the kid has no shot at succeeding, you can bet they wont want to hold on to him and waste they're time...
281 yards 1 TD and 2 INTs (1 in garbage time).

1st start @ PIT!

Geezus, why did we have to draft Alex Smith?
Originally posted by Leathaface:

1st start @ PIT!

cuz Colt Mccoy hadnt declared for the draft yet
Originally posted by valrod33:

1st start @ PIT!

i didnt say why didnt we draft mccoy...altho we could have got him too this year in the 2nd but then no taylor mays...

1st start.

Against Steelers.

Did well.

//end thread//
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

1st start @ PIT!

Pretty impressive I must say.
Their oline is equal to ours at this point.
Originally posted by valrod33:

1st start @ PIT!

and he was still in high school.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Their oline is equal to ours at this point.

Their left side is straight up nasty!

Joe Thomas at LT, Eric Steinbach at LG and Alex Mack at Center. Not too shabby. Dont know about their right side.
Share 49ersWebzone