LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

NFL NETWORKS TOP 100 PLAYERS OF ALL TIME

Shop 49ers game tickets
So, I've been seeing these commercials as of late and its a pretty interesting thing NFLN is going to do. From celebrities to Hall of Famers, the list will rank the greatest to play in the nfl.

Im pretty sure at least one 49er will be in there (Top 5), probably two. (Rice and Montana)

So, who are your top 5 of all time?
http://top100.nfl.com/

If I had to guess, Jim Brown LT and another QB, Unitas probably, would round out the top 5.

edit: the original LT

[ Edited by znk916 on Aug 22, 2010 at 02:36:23 ]
Originally posted by znk916:

If I had to guess, Jim Brown LT and another QB, Unitas probably, would round out the top 5.

I wouldn't argue with this, but experience shows that such things are generally weighted towards the modern generation. Which may put Barry Saunders or Emmitt Smith in the running.

By the way, Ronnie Lott should be there or thereabouts. How about OJ?
  • titan
  • Veteran
This is how my top 5 would look!
1.Rice
2.Montana
3.Dick Butkus
4.Barry Sanders
5.??????
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by znk916:

I wouldn't argue with this, but experience shows that such things are generally weighted towards the modern generation. Which may put Barry Saunders or Emmitt Smith in the running.

By the way, Ronnie Lott should be there or thereabouts. How about OJ?

Ronnie's the top DB probably, but with so many other positions, and especially elite skill position players, I can't see him cracking the top 10. Top 25 for sure though.

OJ is probably a borderline top 5 RB, but I don't think that will be enough for him to crack the top 25.
Originally posted by titan:
This is how my top 5 would look!
1.Rice
2.Montana
3.Dick Butkus
4.Barry Sanders
5.??????

?????? is overrated. Definitely not a top 5 player.
  • titan
  • Veteran
???????^he had like 15 tackles 3 sacks in his HOF career.
1. Joe Montana
2. Jerry Rice
3. Jim Brown
4. Walter Peyton
5. Lawrence Taylor or Johnny Unitas
I'd strongly consider Sammy Baugh as #1

He played 3 positions at a HOF quality level
-QB
-DB
-P
peter king is asking wheres don hutson above jerry rice on the list

• BobS
  • Veteran
1. Sammy Baugh
2. Jim Brown
3. Jerry Rice
4. Joe Montana
5. (tie)Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkus, Lawrence Taylor

Baugh as jack of all trades, and master of all of them
Brown, Rice and Montana dominating their offensive positions.
Nitschke, Butkus, and Taylor take your pick we need a linebacker on the list.

I saw all but Baugh & Brown play as I have been watching football for over 40 years. I doubt we have a zoner who saw Baugh play he last played in 1952. I have seen and heard enough about him to put him #1. I believe #2-#4 you could have them in any order and I wouldn't argue.

Making a top 5 is tough. Honorable mention to Deacon Jones and Ronnie Lott.
[ Edited by BobS on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
1. Sammy Baugh
2. Jim Brown
3. Jerry Rice
4. Joe Montana

I saw all but Baugh & Brown play as I have been watching football for over 40 years. I doubt we have a zoner who saw Baugh play he last played in 1952. I have seen and heard enough about him to put him #1. I believe #2-#4 you could have them in any order and I wouldn't argue.

Winner. Baugh and Brown followed by Rice. After that its debatable, but those three are where they should be.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Never can figure Zoners out. I thought there would be some homeristic anger directed at those of us not putting Rice and Montana in the first 2 slots. I thought this was an interesting topic for discussion and it would get a lot of responses, I was wrong.
1. Sammy Baugh
2. Jim Brown
3. Jerry Rice
4. Joe Montana

I always find it funny that Top 5-10 lists in sports are always comprised of players who played 25+ years ago.

Considering that players today are noticeably bigger/faster/stronger and there are more people playing the sport (deepening the talent pool), that's statistically miraculous.

Never can figure Zoners out. I thought there would be some homeristic anger directed at those of us not putting Rice and Montana in the first 2 slots. I thought this was an interesting topic for discussion and it would get a lot of responses, I was wrong.

Sorry we couldn't live up to your expectations.
Share 49ersWebzone