LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Willis vs Revis

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think the ravens built around ray lewis instead of chris mcallister and ed reed in their prime. Defenses build around their most elite players, its that simple. At the end of the day I still think patrick willis will make more of an impact on a weak defense than revis. Put them both on the rams and answer that question.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis
Originally posted by Chief:
Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis Willis
opened up another poll in another unbias forum

willis :38
revis:26

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=407597&start=45
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Will take Revis in a second. A DB that can lock up one side of the field is probably the most important and valuable part of the defense.

...and the reason why some of you are able to post so many great LBs and only a handful of DBs is because they are only handful of shut-down DBs to have ever played the game. Revis is one of them (and probably the first since Dieon to achieve that status at such a young age) - which makes him even more valuable.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Aug 23, 2010 at 3:55 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pantstickle:
My point is they're a luxury. Champ Bailey never lead a team to a Super Bowl. It's a rarity, and they're very impressive, but rare doesn't necessarily mean more important. Heck, I'd take an elite safety over a shutdown corner.

Elite safety gets paid half of what an elite CB will make. There is a reason for that.
Ever seen Revis blow up Favre like that?!
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
My point is they're a luxury. Champ Bailey never lead a team to a Super Bowl. It's a rarity, and they're very impressive, but rare doesn't necessarily mean more important. Heck, I'd take an elite safety over a shutdown corner.

Elite safety gets paid half of what an elite CB will make. There is a reason for that.

Wish I could find the exact quote for you, but Bill Walsh once said that safety was the most important position on defense.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
opened up another poll in another unbias forum

willis :43
revis:27

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=407597&start=45

Fixed. I wonder if "And yes I am a 9ers fan, but the majority of 49ers fans are picking Willis (I know shocking right ?)" could have swayed some votes. That'll show those 49er fans!
  • kw49
  • Veteran
I just wanted to add my little two cents to the argument. First of all, I think Willis and Revis are great players (at least from what I've heard of Revis), and I'd be happy to have either one of them.

I have a counterpoint to the opinion that shutdown corners are more important than shutdown inside linebackers, and it's this. One thing that I've heard across multiple sports, not just football, is that defensively you want to be strong up the middle. I've it heard in baseball where you want to have strong defensive second basemen, shortstops and center-fielders. I don't know as much about basketball, but it seems the best defensive teams have good defensive centers, and they protect the middle of the court.

In football, if your weak up the middle there is no need for the offense to even think about running plays to the outside. Why would you make the longer risker throw to the outside where your guy doesn't have as much room to work when you could just hit the tight end or slot receiver down the wide open middle? Would you run sweeps to the outside, if you could run up the gut and gain yards? Why take the longer route? I bet if you ask any defensive coach, they would tell you they'd rather shutdown the middle first and force teams outside, where they have less space to defend.

If you look at it that way, it seems the only reason you would take the outside guy is if he was so much better than the inside guy. In this case, I'm not really sure if that's true. Although I haven't really seen Revis play, so I can't form and informed opinion on him.
[ Edited by kw49 on Aug 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM ]

• titan
  • Veteran
The Island just got GINN! If I liked the JETS I would send this vid to subtract 10mil of his asking price!LMAO
Well who would you rather have on this team? Would we be better off with Revis or Willis?

I'd take Willis because he plays the entire field. He makes plays at every level.

Originally posted by saniner:
Well who would you rather have on this team? Would we be better off with Revis or Willis?

I'd take Willis because he plays the entire field. He makes plays at every level.

We payed a corner 90 million dollars and he's not 1/10th as good as Revis is. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

The Jets had the number one ranking on defense by 30 yards, and finished 1st in points as well. Cleary they weren't struggling because they built around a corner.

I'm not saying I'd take Revis over Willis I'm just of the opinion that you can build an elite defense around any position. CB, S, DT, DE, LB. It's not like on offense were you need that QB. Teams have successfully built around every single one of those positions.
Share 49ersWebzone