LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Karma getting back at the Jets?

Shop 49ers game tickets
They might be fine without him this year but if they can't resign revis,mangold or harris then I think they will be hurting. And greene will probably ask for a new contract once he has a good year. They wont resign everyone unless they take pay cuts
Originally posted by teeohh:
wilson is a rookie though, there will be a drop off if revis doesn't play

Of course. There would be a drop off if Charles Woodson were filling in for Revis. I'm just saying that the Jets are still a solid team regardless. Revis has been a stud since entering the league and I'm glad he finally got some national attention last year. He'll be missed if it comes to a season long holdout, I'm not trying to dispute that. I just think they were smart to prepare themselves for the worst if he does happen to sit out the season.

It's obviously not a huge secret that I'm a big Kyle Wilson fan and I think if it comes down the fact that he has to start as a rookie, I believe he'll do a solid job. He's a confident player and I don't think he'll get rattled having to try and fill Revis' shoes.
Originally posted by joefosho:
Im loving this revis holdout. bunch of cocky mo fo's

Cosmic Justice will set the wrong things right lol! Co**suckers deserve every bit of this after the sh*t they tried to pull with Crabby last year. Revis is right and they know it. Best thing is, they really can't afford em and worse yet; they can't afford to let em hit the open market.

Looks like the old catch 22. Either sign em and watch as the vultures around the league offer you disgustingly unfair trades to help "facilitate" your clubs financial transition aka: ass plunder you. Or let the best player on your team go to the highest bidder which could potentially wind up being to a team within the division. That's the one I'm rooting for but the ass plunder maneuver is pretty funny too.

I don't know what New England's cap situation will be after Brady gets his, but I think I would enjoy seeing them get Revis almost as much as if the 9ers got em. Not exactly New England's M.O. to pay corners what they're worth, but this guy's better than anybody they've had come through there and I think they'd make room if it means making the Jets eat a humongous sh*t burger...Miami's pretty ok too
Rex Ryan is a f**k
Word is Revis yesterday turned down 10 yr $120 MILLION

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

the entire contract means nothing

no one ever plays out their entire contract or no team ever pays the entire contract

guaranteed money is the key

the Jets offered a long term and short term deals with 0 guaranteed money

he laughed

now I'm hearing the two sides are ' $4m apart ' I'm assuming means guaranteed cash

so look at the defensive player who's getting the most guaranteed cash this year and he wants more than that
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

the entire contract means nothing

no one ever plays out their entire contract or no team ever pays the entire contract

guaranteed money is the key

the Jets offered a long term and short term deals with 0 guaranteed money

he laughed

now I'm hearing the two sides are ' $4m apart ' I'm assuming means guaranteed cash

so look at the defensive player who's getting the most guaranteed cash this year and he wants more than that

I agree, but the $120 million does put a perspective on what kind of numbers are being thrown around.

IMO the Raiders have once again screwed another team by overpaying for one of its players and skewing the market in favor of the player
NM

I hope he does hold out

If the Jets do good, he could be made expendable (not likely, but hey maybe)

[ Edited by ads_2006 on Aug 12, 2010 at 08:14:43 ]
On one hand, I think this IS karma coming back at them with the Revis holdout. I hope he holdsout longer than Crabtree did, serves them right.

OTOH, there's a part of me that hopes the NYJ finds success without Revis. This will teach the greedy CB to honor his contract and bring his demands down to earth if he wants an pay raise and extension.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
On one hand, I think this IS karma coming back at them with the Revis holdout. I hope he holdsout longer than Crabtree did, serves them right.

OTOH, there's a part of me that hopes the NYJ finds success without Revis. This will teach the greedy CB to honor his contract and bring his demands down to earth if he wants an pay raise and extension.

As much as I hate to say this, but this is BS. Chris Johnson got his money before his contract was finished. And if Revis tore his ACL next year the Jets arent gonna give him s**t.

Its a business and others (including team cutting players before their contract is up) have set the foundation for this to happen

Every year there is a new Best CB. Revis can suck it. Im glad the Jets are doing this.

PS f**k the Jets
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Lost in this discussion is "Who Backs Up Revis?"

Is it a hungry kid? A washed up vet?

If it's a hungry kid with something to prove -- much like Revis was two seasons ago -- he's taking an enormous risk.

More than one person can play cornerback in this league at a high level.

They were smart to draft Kyle Wilson this past draft. I think the possibility of a Revis holdout led them to use a 1st round pick on a CB when they have Revis and just acquired Antonio Cromartie from the Chargers. That and the fact Wilson was a complete steal that late in the first round round and the value was just to high to pass on him.

Kyle Wilson has been getting first team reps since the Revis holdout and Dwight Lowery is a solid 3rd CB with starting experience. Apparently Wilson has been impressive with Revis out.

People want to write off the Jets if Revis holds out for the season but they have a solid defense regardless with plenty of depth. In fact, many wrote them off last year when Kris Jenkins and Leon Washington both went down with a season ending injuries early in the season. The Jets had people step up in their absence and the Jets D and running game never missed a beat. The replacements NT Sione Pouha and Shonne Greene are now a key components to a potential championship run.

Obviously the Jets are a better team with Revis locking down the opposing teams #1 WR but the team is loaded with solid depth and they shouldn't be taken lightly.

And if the Jets start out 2-0 or 4-0 Revis loses all leverage. You can't get this year back, and if there is no season next year how much does he really think a Cb who hasn't played for 2 years is gonna earn? I heard that the Jets offered him 10 years 120 million but he wants 10 years 160 million. I wouldn't pay that one either. Both sides are playing with fire. But both sides are talking publically so they should be able to come ot some middle ground.
Share 49ersWebzone