There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If the Jets were willing

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I wondered how long it'd take someone to come up with an idea like this...it's not all bad, really, just impractical. Revis is a great player...but doesn't seem to grasp the notion he has to honor the rookie contract he signed. It's true the Titans modified CJ's contract, but it was a modest adjustment. Revis wants the world...and so far, the Jets aren't playing ball. He doesn't appear to be a Singletary kind of player...unselfish, team-guy. So, I'd say no, thanks.

His current contract makes him the seventh highest paid DB on the Jets this year. He's got a point b
Originally posted by WildBill:
No!
If we were in a situation like when the Niners brought in Dieon Sanders, then yes.

However this isn't basketball, where one player can make all the difference even if you lose some others. VD needs to be signed to as well as others.

As far as Clements and the posibble money we would pay 2or four draft picks, who knows if we have a rookie cap.

Plus what if he goes down from injuries. then there is the fact that he may shine in the Jets D-but not so in the niners scheme-this can happen and has. The niners are not perenial plyoff team yet. Plus as I said this cap thing and labor negotiations are dicey right now.
Actually, if we had our own little revis Island, then we could blitz a hell of a lot more, and use some different coverages.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/10/trading-revis-is-a-remote-possibility/
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
With reports coming out that the Jets and Revis are in a stalemate that may result in him sitting out the season, there could become talk of them trying to deal him, in much the same way the Broncos dealt Cutler. The question if, what would you give up for him?

A few years ago the Vikings got Jared Allen fairly cheap, and he is very comparable, while last year the Bears paid massively for Cutler, who after all is a QB. I think the Allen trade was a clear rip-off, and I don't see Revis going that cheap. But at the same time I don't think the Jets have the leverage to ask for Cutler like compensation. Anyways, what would you think is a reasonable offer that you would be willing to make to the Jets?

(And no, they don't want Nate Clements).

Here's my suggestion:

-Next year's 1st
-Next year's 2nd
-Conditional 2012 2nd/1st
-Manny Lawson

If we add Revis to our team, then there's a very high likelihood of us drafting late. Therefore if Revis does work out we would be giving up a late 1st, a late 2nd and another late first. If he doesn't, then it would be a mid 1st, and 2 mid 2nds. Lawson will not be on this team as of 2010 regardless.

From the Jets standpoint, they get 3 premium picks, that they have used well in drafting recently. They are very very deep at the CB position, and they are thin at OLB.

Thoughts?

Are you kidding? Can you say Herschel Walker? I don't want him, he's not worth the money he's asking for, there were a lot of reasons he was good aside from himself, it is a team sport afterall.
Originally posted by Berserker52:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
With reports coming out that the Jets and Revis are in a stalemate that may result in him sitting out the season, there could become talk of them trying to deal him, in much the same way the Broncos dealt Cutler. The question if, what would you give up for him?

A few years ago the Vikings got Jared Allen fairly cheap, and he is very comparable, while last year the Bears paid massively for Cutler, who after all is a QB. I think the Allen trade was a clear rip-off, and I don't see Revis going that cheap. But at the same time I don't think the Jets have the leverage to ask for Cutler like compensation. Anyways, what would you think is a reasonable offer that you would be willing to make to the Jets?

(And no, they don't want Nate Clements).

Here's my suggestion:

-Next year's 1st
-Next year's 2nd
-Conditional 2012 2nd/1st
-Manny Lawson

If we add Revis to our team, then there's a very high likelihood of us drafting late. Therefore if Revis does work out we would be giving up a late 1st, a late 2nd and another late first. If he doesn't, then it would be a mid 1st, and 2 mid 2nds. Lawson will not be on this team as of 2010 regardless.

From the Jets standpoint, they get 3 premium picks, that they have used well in drafting recently. They are very very deep at the CB position, and they are thin at OLB.

Thoughts?

Are you kidding? Can you say Herschel Walker? I don't want him, he's not worth the money he's asking for, there were a lot of reasons he was good aside from himself, it is a team sport afterall.

He and David Harris were the only reasons the Jets D was #1 overall. Think of what Revis could do with a defense that includes PWillis, Justin Smith, Goldson Spencer, Spikes, etc. Dude he would make our d the best in the league hands down. It'd be worth it.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I wondered how long it'd take someone to come up with an idea like this...it's not all bad, really, just impractical. Revis is a great player...but doesn't seem to grasp the notion he has to honor the rookie contract he signed. It's true the Titans modified CJ's contract, but it was a modest adjustment. Revis wants the world...and so far, the Jets aren't playing ball. He doesn't appear to be a Singletary kind of player...unselfish, team-guy. So, I'd say no, thanks.

His current contract makes him the seventh highest paid DB on the Jets this year. He's got a point b

Not really. He probably has already pocketed a huge signing bonus, which is paid upfront and which as soon as it's cashed is all but forgotten to these diva football players. Can you provide a link to back up your statement? 7th? Do they even have 7 CB's on their roster? I highly doubt that. He's supposed to make more than a million this year, and over 20 million guaranteed the next two years. The best part is they don't even need him, Cromartie can be a #1 and Kyle Wilson is gonna be a solid #2, maybe not right now, but, soon. Plus I'm sure they had at least one or two solid guys before free agency/draft.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Berserker52:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
With reports coming out that the Jets and Revis are in a stalemate that may result in him sitting out the season, there could become talk of them trying to deal him, in much the same way the Broncos dealt Cutler. The question if, what would you give up for him?

A few years ago the Vikings got Jared Allen fairly cheap, and he is very comparable, while last year the Bears paid massively for Cutler, who after all is a QB. I think the Allen trade was a clear rip-off, and I don't see Revis going that cheap. But at the same time I don't think the Jets have the leverage to ask for Cutler like compensation. Anyways, what would you think is a reasonable offer that you would be willing to make to the Jets?

(And no, they don't want Nate Clements).

Here's my suggestion:

-Next year's 1st
-Next year's 2nd
-Conditional 2012 2nd/1st
-Manny Lawson

If we add Revis to our team, then there's a very high likelihood of us drafting late. Therefore if Revis does work out we would be giving up a late 1st, a late 2nd and another late first. If he doesn't, then it would be a mid 1st, and 2 mid 2nds. Lawson will not be on this team as of 2010 regardless.

From the Jets standpoint, they get 3 premium picks, that they have used well in drafting recently. They are very very deep at the CB position, and they are thin at OLB.

Thoughts?

Are you kidding? Can you say Herschel Walker? I don't want him, he's not worth the money he's asking for, there were a lot of reasons he was good aside from himself, it is a team sport afterall.

He and David Harris were the only reasons the Jets D was #1 overall. Think of what Revis could do with a defense that includes PWillis, Justin Smith, Goldson Spencer, Spikes, etc. Dude he would make our d the best in the league hands down. It'd be worth it.

Would be awesome, but, not for 2 first rounders and a 2nd, only crazy owners and Mike Ditka make those kinds of moves.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by WildBill:
No!
If we were in a situation like when the Niners brought in Dieon Sanders, then yes.

However this isn't basketball, where one player can make all the difference even if you lose some others. VD needs to be signed to as well as others.

As far as Clements and the posibble money we would pay 2or four draft picks, who knows if we have a rookie cap.

Plus what if he goes down from injuries. then there is the fact that he may shine in the Jets D-but not so in the niners scheme-this can happen and has. The niners are not perenial plyoff team yet. Plus as I said this cap thing and labor negotiations are dicey right now.
Actually, if we had our own little revis Island, then we could blitz a hell of a lot more, and use some different coverages.

The thing is, unless someone takes Clements off our hands via trade, he will count against the cap, maybe not this year because of the flux, but their are a lot of other players that need to be resigned after this year. Not to mention whether or not Smith works out, if he does we will have to pay him, if not then we will have to find someone like a Brees was a find for the Saints either way coupled with VD and Goldson and others, he will not only take a big chunk, but may cause a disruption in the pay formula on the niners. Willis is making what 10 mil a year year, and he wants more?

Like I said they are not that one player away from the superbowl yet. Also there is no guarentee that he will fit in the niners scheme. As much as you hate the jets, you cannot totally say that the coaches were not part of the reason for his success. Like Young and Montana, they are great, but they would not have been as good without the hand of Walsh. You see it all the time some players are even better when they go to another team, but the opposite is also true.
Originally posted by Berserker52:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I wondered how long it'd take someone to come up with an idea like this...it's not all bad, really, just impractical. Revis is a great player...but doesn't seem to grasp the notion he has to honor the rookie contract he signed. It's true the Titans modified CJ's contract, but it was a modest adjustment. Revis wants the world...and so far, the Jets aren't playing ball. He doesn't appear to be a Singletary kind of player...unselfish, team-guy. So, I'd say no, thanks.

His current contract makes him the seventh highest paid DB on the Jets this year. He's got a point b

Not really. He probably has already pocketed a huge signing bonus, which is paid upfront and which as soon as it's cashed is all but forgotten to these diva football players. Can you provide a link to back up your statement? 7th? Do they even have 7 CB's on their roster? I highly doubt that. He's supposed to make more than a million this year, and over 20 million guaranteed the next two years. The best part is they don't even need him, Cromartie can be a #1 and Kyle Wilson is gonna be a solid #2, maybe not right now, but, soon. Plus I'm sure they had at least one or two solid guys before free agency/draft.

He was drafted in the middle of the first, which means that his rookie contract was no that huge. He IS getting underpaid. To say Wilson and Cromartie can compensate for Revis is like saying that Spikes and Bowman make Willis expandable. He's one of the 3 or 4 best defensive players in the game. Not easily replaced. And, if you notice, I said 7th DB, not CB. That includes safeties. This is per tweets from ESPN. No link available.