LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

If the Jets were willing

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
With reports coming out that the Jets and Revis are in a stalemate that may result in him sitting out the season, there could become talk of them trying to deal him, in much the same way the Broncos dealt Cutler. The question if, what would you give up for him?

A few years ago the Vikings got Jared Allen fairly cheap, and he is very comparable, while last year the Bears paid massively for Cutler, who after all is a QB. I think the Allen trade was a clear rip-off, and I don't see Revis going that cheap. But at the same time I don't think the Jets have the leverage to ask for Cutler like compensation. Anyways, what would you think is a reasonable offer that you would be willing to make to the Jets?

(And no, they don't want Nate Clements).

Here's my suggestion:

-Next year's 1st
-Next year's 2nd
-Conditional 2012 2nd/1st
-Manny Lawson

If we add Revis to our team, then there's a very high likelihood of us drafting late. Therefore if Revis does work out we would be giving up a late 1st, a late 2nd and another late first. If he doesn't, then it would be a mid 1st, and 2 mid 2nds. Lawson will not be on this team as of 2010 regardless.

From the Jets standpoint, they get 3 premium picks, that they have used well in drafting recently. They are very very deep at the CB position, and they are thin at OLB.

Thoughts?

Ok thought is this,,,Why isnt Revis playin for the Jets...Contract issues...Is he worth losing V Davis and possibly others as well when the Niners cant sign them cause they signed Revis to a contract that will bite them in the butt later?

Niners went through this mess once with C Policy and E Debartolo signing players to ridiculous cap looped contracts then they had to let the whole team walk. Niners are just now becoming a good team again. because fact is this Why would Revis sign a contract he had no intention of signing in NY?
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Revis would be a great addition, but the Niners are struggling to resign Davis, Franklin, Goldson, and Lawson. Does it make sense to go after Revis if we can't retain these guys? What message does it send to our soon to be free agents?

Niners need to be loyal to the players they have that DESERVE a new contract.
I would love to see him in a Niner uniform, but I don't think they can afford him.

STRUGGLING???????????????? No we aren't. It's because next yr as of now is an uncapped yr. It throws everything out of wack. We will sign Davis.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!! Franklin wasn't signed to a long term becauise of his age and how long he's been in the league and it's obvious we want to see if he can produce again. Goldson & Davis will be resigned. BOOK IT> LAwson hasn't shown much at all to give him a phat contract same with Franklin. If Franklin can do what he did last yr then we will give him a 3-4 yr deal. Look at his age and his position??

THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My point is, and remains that it makes no sense to go after a HIGH PRICED free agent when the Niners haven't signed players that they should keep.

Personally I think Lawson and Franklin, regardless of Franklins age, are both worth resigning.

My question to you is - Do you think the Niners should sign Revis? Yes or No?

Think about that...............
Let's look ahead to next season. Would you rather have Revis at 17 million dollars or Nate Clements at 11 million dollars?

In theory we could cut Clements without penalty this year because of the uncapped season and only add 6 million dollars to the cap next year. That's assuming there is a cap too because that's not a guarantee.

Then again I know very little about the cap and probally screwed up somewhere.
He wants more than 15 million dollars per season. No thanks.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
clements isnt that bad we dont need revis and his fat ass contract which wont let us resign any of our players

This.
No!
If we were in a situation like when the Niners brought in Dieon Sanders, then yes.

However this isn't basketball, where one player can make all the difference even if you lose some others. VD needs to be signed to as well as others.

As far as Clements and the posibble money we would pay 2or four draft picks, who knows if we have a rookie cap.

Plus what if he goes down from injuries. then there is the fact that he may shine in the Jets D-but not so in the niners scheme-this can happen and has. The niners are not perenial plyoff team yet. Plus as I said this cap thing and labor negotiations are dicey right now.
Revis would be a great addition, but the Niners are struggling to resign Davis, Franklin, Goldson, and Lawson. Does it make sense to go after Revis if we can't retain these guys? What message does it send to our soon to be free agents?

I would love to see him in a Niner uniform, but I don't think they can afford him.

STRUGGLING???????????????? No we aren't. It's because next yr as of now is an uncapped yr. It throws everything out of wack. We will sign Davis.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!! Franklin wasn't signed to a long term becauise of his age and how long he's been in the league and it's obvious we want to see if he can produce again. Goldson & Davis will be resigned. BOOK IT> LAwson hasn't shown much at all to give him a phat contract same with Franklin. If Franklin can do what he did last yr then we will give him a 3-4 yr deal. Look at his age and his position??

THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My point is, and remains that it makes no sense to go after a HIGH PRICED free agent when the Niners haven't signed players that they should keep.

Personally I think Lawson and Franklin, regardless of Franklins age, are both worth resigning.

I would take Revis over Lawson and Franklin any day. Lawson may not even be the best OLB on this team, and Franklin's old and wants to get paid and probably will leave next year anyway because we have RJF waiting in the wings. Not to mention you can cut Clements and only add 5 million more in salary. Then you just sign Vernon to an extension and work one out with Alex and you're fine. I mean you're going to wind up spending a few million on a 1st round draft pick anyway, and that guy we pick will most likely be a corner, and he most likely won't be as good as Revis.

I mean s**t if we added Revis we would probably have the best defense in the league for this year and with a decent offense that'd be enough to get us to the superbowl. Franklin and JSmith on the DLine, Willis and Spikes inside, so nobody is going to run on us, and then when you have a secondary that includes Revis, Goldson, and Spencer teams will struggle to pass against you. That'd let us blitz more and bring Lewis into the box more or it'd let us send both OLBs to rush the passer more. What he would do for this team could quite possibly get us to the superbowl and a defense that had Revis and Willis locked up could be the best D in the league for the next 10 years.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would take Revis over Lawson and Franklin any day. Lawson may not even be the best OLB on this team, and Franklin's old and wants to get paid and probably will leave next year anyway because we have RJF waiting in the wings. Not to mention you can cut Clements and only add 5 million more in salary. Then you just sign Vernon to an extension and work one out with Alex and you're fine. I mean you're going to wind up spending a few million on a 1st round draft pick anyway, and that guy we pick will most likely be a corner, and he most likely won't be as good as Revis.

I mean s**t if we added Revis we would probably have the best defense in the league for this year and with a decent offense that'd be enough to get us to the superbowl. Franklin and JSmith on the DLine, Willis and Spikes inside, so nobody is going to run on us, and then when you have a secondary that includes Revis, Goldson, and Spencer teams will struggle to pass against you. That'd let us blitz more and bring Lewis into the box more or it'd let us send both OLBs to rush the passer more. What he would do for this team could quite possibly get us to the superbowl and a defense that had Revis and Willis locked up could be the best D in the league for the next 10 years.

Ok, I see your point. Provided RJF is a deceit replacement for Franklin, then the move would / could work. I also agree adding Revis could possibly make the Niners SB contenders.

I just don't want to see the Niners sign him for millions, and give up high draft picks, and he doesn't live up to expectations........

As for Manny Lawson, I guess I'm a bird in bush guy. Meaning the Niners know what they have with him and I still think his best games are ahead of him.

Go Niners
Revis could have already had his best year, then what are you stuck with? No defensive back is worth what he is asking. We need to resign guys that have contracts coming up and don't need a diva like Revis.
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:
With reports coming out that the Jets and Revis are in a stalemate that may result in him sitting out the season, there could become talk of them trying to deal him, in much the same way the Broncos dealt Cutler. The question if, what would you give up for him?

A few years ago the Vikings got Jared Allen fairly cheap, and he is very comparable, while last year the Bears paid massively for Cutler, who after all is a QB. I think the Allen trade was a clear rip-off, and I don't see Revis going that cheap. But at the same time I don't think the Jets have the leverage to ask for Cutler like compensation. Anyways, what would you think is a reasonable offer that you would be willing to make to the Jets?

Here's my suggestion:

-Next year's 1st
-Next year's 2nd
-Manny Lawson

If we add Revis to our team, then there's a very high likelihood of us drafting late. Therefore if Revis does work out we would be giving up a late 1st, a late 2nd and another late first. If he doesn't, then it would be a mid 1st, and 2 mid 2nds. Lawson will not be on this team as of 2010 regardless.

From the Jets standpoint, they get 3 premium picks, that they have used well in drafting recently. They are very very deep at the CB position, and they are thin at OLB.

Thoughts?

Ok thought is this,,,Why isnt Revis playin for the Jets...Contract issues...Is he worth losing V Davis and possibly others as well when the Niners cant sign them cause they signed Revis to a contract that will bite them in the butt later?

Niners went through this mess once with C Policy and E Debartolo signing players to ridiculous cap looped contracts then they had to let the whole team walk. Niners are just now becoming a good team again. because fact is this Why would Revis sign a contract he had no intention of signing in NY?

Ah yes, the days of Eddie D and competing for superbowls. Let's stay away from that, I prefer to be battling it out for high draft picks with the limes of the raiders and the rams. As much as our rings were built on the Genious of Walsh, the intensity of Lott, and the calm of Montana, they were just as much built on the wallet of Eddie

thats a horrible deal. 3 first day picks and Lawson for a guy who wants more money than stupid Al Davis gave to Nnamdi? ill pass.

Here's my suggestion:

-Next year's 1st
-Next year's 2nd
-Manny Lawson

Thoughts?

Ah yes, the days of Eddie D and competing for superbowls. Let's stay away from that, I prefer to be battling it out for high draft picks with the limes of the raiders and the rams. As much as our rings were built on the Genious of Walsh, the intensity of Lott, and the calm of Montana, they were just as much built on the wallet of Eddie

You obviously have no clue as to how different the game is now than back then. Are you even old enough to remember those days? This isn't madden.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Revis could have already had his best year, then what are you stuck with? No defensive back is worth what he is asking. We need to resign guys that have contracts coming up and don't need a diva like Revis.

I would say that about any other CB....other than Revis. He is special and is the real deal. He would definitely be worth trading a 1st and some other picks for. It's not gonna happen though because the Jets aren't stupid. They know they have the best CB in the league and will not let him go. That's like letting Joe Montana go in his prime (ok maybe not as big as Joe, but Revis is a Joe Montana on defense IMO).
I wondered how long it'd take someone to come up with an idea like this...it's not all bad, really, just impractical. Revis is a great player...but doesn't seem to grasp the notion he has to honor the rookie contract he signed. It's true the Titans modified CJ's contract, but it was a modest adjustment. Revis wants the world...and so far, the Jets aren't playing ball. He doesn't appear to be a Singletary kind of player...unselfish, team-guy. So, I'd say no, thanks.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Here's my suggestion:

-Next year's 1st
-Next year's 2nd
-Manny Lawson

Thoughts?

You obviously have no clue as to how different the game is now than back then. Are you even old enough to remember those days? This isn't madden.

I normally don't support trade ideas or paying such high contracts. Didn't want Peppers, didn't want Haynsworth or Marshall or most other players. But I value special players, true superstars. Elite players, if you will. For these guys rules get bent. Deion, for example would have brought us at least 1 or 2 more rings. No way Favre passes all over us in the playoffs if Deion is there. There are a handful of these types of players. Still 6+ years of playing in their prime, HOF type performances. Best at their position. No major injury history. For non-QBs: Willis, Fitzgerald, maybe AP, maybe Jared Allen, Ware, Nnamdi, Andre Johnson, maybe CJ, maybe A few LTs. Revis is definitely one of these guys, and plays a major position of need. I don't jump at all trade fantasies out there, but this particular one makes sense to me. Even if it makes the wallet tight.
Share 49ersWebzone