There are 219 users in the forums

If the Jets were willing

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Would anybody here trade him for Willis?

Edit: just putting it out there.

-9fA

bruce willis???
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by Chief:
While were at it, let's get Chris Johnson and Peyton Manning.

What's so outrageous? Did this thread say getting Manning? Or getting Manning for David Carr in a straight up trade? Revis is officially a holdout, and may remain so for the entire season because the sides are so divided over their philosophy of what he is worth. Last year a franchise QB (or at least thought of as such at the time) was traded. Few years before that, the best pass rusher in the game. Champ Baily has gotten traded. McNaab went to a division rival!!! Brandon Marshall, one of the top 5 or so WRs in the game, was recently shipped over to Miami. So what makes this such an outrageous proposal?

I actually agree. Revis and David Harris the LB pretty much carried that team to the playoffs last year, and carried their defense. Rhodes got burned a whole lot in the middle of the field and they didn't think he tackled well, they didn't have any amazingly great pass rushers at the OLB spots, and their DL was good but it wasn't great once Kris Jenkins went down. If he could carry the Jets D with David Harris to the #1 defense in the NFL think of what he could do with Willis, Franklin, Spikes, Spencer opposite him, Goldson in the middle, etc. Our D would be dominant enough that we might get to the superbowl THIS YEAR.
Let's trade Patrick Willis for him.

-9fA

2 first and a 2nd? f**k that, stick to madden

-9fA

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Because the best defensive player in the game isn't worth that? Remember, if we get Revis our draft position is likely in the 25th pick range. The 2nd rounder would also be a late pick. But hey, maybe we can use another Balmer instead

Because the best defensive player in the game isn't worth that? Remember, if we get Revis our draft position is likely in the 25th pick range. The 2nd rounder would also be a late pick. But hey, maybe we can use another Balmer instead

how would we afford to sign vernon and revis and goldson and then alex if he produces this year?

how would we afford to sign vernon and revis and goldson and then alex if he produces this year?

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I dunno I remember reading that one of the people from the Jets said it looked like Revis would hold out the whole season. I think they might be willing to deal him if it looks like they just can't find a contract that'd he'd be happy with by the 3rd or 4th game AND we could come up with an extension to keep him happy. I mean he's a top 3 D player along with like Willis and maybe a guy like Freeney. If you have the best ILB in the league teams will have a hard time running the ball against you and if you have the best CB in the game teams aren't going to be able to hit their #1 WR.

Now I'm not saying we'd necessarily want to deal the whole farm for Revis but it'd be stupid to not consider making a play for him considering what he could do for our team. Remember how everyone is alway's saying we should have a top 5 defense in the NFL? If we did this we really WOULD have that type of defense.

Exactly.

I didn't say we should trade away all that was suggested, but to not entertain the idea would be ridiculous (IF it were on the table, that is). As if we don't need someone like him. Revis would make us an elite defense immediately. We already shut down the run, but we get exploited in the passing game. If Mays develops into a decent cover SS (not too much to ask, given proper coaching, unlike what he got at USC), Goldson continues to progress and Spencer plays anything like he did last year, that's a top-tier secondary.

We'd be giving away a LOT, but we'd be getting a lot in return. We'd be able to blitz all day because Revis can be left on an island with the other team's most dangerous target. With that type of defense, decent play from our QB and a strong running game (not too much to ask), we'd be a Super Bowl contender right off the bat. Not two or three years from now, right NOW. Revis is not just some pretty good cornerback.

Even if the Jets had him on the table, we wouldn't go after him because we're too busy placing high value in the unknown.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Let's trade Patrick Willis for him.

I wouldn't want to lose Patrick Willis because having him AND Revis would make us elite. That would pretty much mean we give away our run defense and gain a pass defense. We need both.

I know a lot of people will gawk at the thought of shipping Willis, and I wouldn't want to do it, either, but most people outside of Niner fans will agree Revis is more valuable.
With reports coming out that the Jets and Revis are in a stalemate that may result in him sitting out the season, there could become talk of them trying to deal him, in much the same way the Broncos dealt Cutler. The question if, what would you give up for him?

A few years ago the Vikings got Jared Allen fairly cheap, and he is very comparable, while last year the Bears paid massively for Cutler, who after all is a QB. I think the Allen trade was a clear rip-off, and I don't see Revis going that cheap. But at the same time I don't think the Jets have the leverage to ask for Cutler like compensation. Anyways, what would you think is a reasonable offer that you would be willing to make to the Jets?

(And no, they don't want Nate Clements).

Here's my suggestion:

-Next year's 1st
-Next year's 2nd
-Conditional 2012 2nd/1st
-Manny Lawson

If we add Revis to our team, then there's a very high likelihood of us drafting late. Therefore if Revis does work out we would be giving up a late 1st, a late 2nd and another late first. If he doesn't, then it would be a mid 1st, and 2 mid 2nds. Lawson will not be on this team as of 2010 regardless.

From the Jets standpoint, they get 3 premium picks, that they have used well in drafting recently. They are very very deep at the CB position, and they are thin at OLB.

Thoughts?

just stop.

im pretty sure nolan thought we would be giving the pats a late round pick too when we tanked that season. f**k that. revis is good but we dont have to f**k our future picks up to get one guy. 1st and 2nd rounders are usually starters, thats three starters for one. and all the money we would have to give revis would screw us in trying to resign VD, Smith, Goldson, Franklin etc. it makes no sense. we need to draft a corner in the first round next year and sign one in FA when we cut clements because his contract will be ridiculous next year unless he restructures.
Share 49ersWebzone